Thread: Sling shots

Default Sling shots

Curious if others have recommendations for a "quality" sling shot. I carry rubber tubing in my pack, in case I have to make one under a worst case situation. I have been looking online and most appear to be under $30 with a stabilizer. I have not shot one since I was 12 or so. I used round rocks and worked well for grouse, ptarmigan, and rabbits. Current ammo looks like lead BBs of various size. The two of interest are: Pro diablo I or II or a cobra. It would be ideal to find one that was foldaway/packable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Curious if others have recommendations for a "quality" sling shot. I carry rubber tubing in my pack, in case I have to make one under a worst case situation. I have been looking online and most appear to be under $30 with a stabilizer. I have not shot one since I was 12 or so. I used round rocks and worked well for grouse, ptarmigan, and rabbits. Current ammo looks like lead BBs of various size. The two of interest are: Pro diablo I or II or a cobra. It would be ideal to find one that was foldaway/packable.

Can't recommend a unit, but I will recommend practice ammo. A friend of mine is an absolute whiz with his SS, and yeah, it folds. He got so good shooting paint balls in it. Great practice, cheap, and easy to have with you all the time. And he said that's his secret: Carry it all the time and practice with it in any spare moment.

I have a folding wrist rocket thats in my pack at all times and have taken many ptarmigan for the pot on sheep hunts .My ammo of choice are glass marbles that are about 45 cal.I have two one thats about 10 years old and my fvorite one thats about 32 years old and the part that goes over your wrist is leather and is more compact.

thanks guys -- the last sling shot I owned was over 25 years ago. Based on recall, I had a daisy wrist rocket and was proficient at killing things with it. I got my butt whipped for killing a squirrel when I was about eight. The rule of the family was do not kill anything we did not eat. Squirrel was not table fare for us because it was too small. Nonetheless, I remember having to replace the tubing every so often and would take several adjustments. Overall I was pleased with the sling shot. I think something more durable may be needed. The newer models have a pistol grip and stabilizers. I do not think the stabilizers will make much differences when shooting, but could be wrong. The current models are selling from $10 to $30 and my general impression they may break down after a few outings (um, made in China). What are you using?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Here is one to make you smile!

Sling shot Hmmmm……….

Ok… it wasn’t very portable, not super accurate, was hard to use, and took 6 guys to operate, and required the use of a building. But at one time, I was “part owner” in what can only be described as the “super magnum sling shot from hell”….

A guy I went to college with designed this evil contraption and we built it over the span of a month or so before putting it thru its paces one fall. It consisted of hundreds of feet of 1” surgical tubing doubled up and attached to 2 metal pipes (the handles) and a large galvanized funnel with a handle riveted on the back. In order to “fire” this thing, we would put 4 guys on the roof of our apartment in pairs, about 30” apart. One guy from each pair would hold the “handle” and the other guy would brace him. The funnel, or “launch basket” was down in the parking lot or ally and held by the other two guys, who would start backing up and stretching the sling shot out……

The “plan” of course was to lob water balloons across the campus at our fellow students who frequently enjoyed sun bathing on their deck… in plane view, and possibly, just possibly, in range….

Initial tests with water balloons were a total failure as the g-loads from the launch acceleration would bust them every time, but eventually we found that by doubling them up and only partially filling them with water, they would work! The guys on the roof did double duty as “spotters” and once the proper range was achieved, it was a simple matter to “walk” the balloons onto the target by repositioning the guys around….. but the resultant projectile (turns out) would be far to dangerous to shoot at human beings… I will spare you the grisly details, but suffice it to say, that with the proper trajectory, distances measured in hundreds of yards were easily obtained, but the impact forces associated with a pound or more of water at high speed hitting…. Say, a “guy” standing on his deck, would “theoretically” be sufficient enough to knock him off his feet in a near perfect back flip and “stun” him for quite some time… Again, in “theory” the repercussions of such an act would likely require the participants to apologize profusely and “buy” the silence of said “guy” with copious amounts of beer and free labor to wash and wax his car……lest the participants be turned over to the “authorities”…

Further tests with more suitable projectiles (billiard balls) aimed at “non-human” targets in an empty lot proved most spectacular indeed! Distances achieved are difficult to estimate as very few projectiles were ever recovered, which has lead to speculation that some may have actually left the atmosphere and entered low earth orbit, were I can only assume they remain to this day……

Conclusions of further refined testing of a significantly different nature, remain “top secret”, but I can say that the “super magnum sling shot” was re-named to “the Cat-a-pult”…

OK….. now regarding “normal” sling shots, I have used the plain old “wrist rocket” with good success, and have found that ball bearings work great for the shot. If you have a local propeller repair shop, you should stop by and “barter” for their discarded ball bearings. Most all of the small aircraft propellers have dozens of ball bearing for each blade and these are all discarded during repairs or overhaul. At one time, I had a 5 gallon bucket full of them…..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

marbles make about the best ammo. they are just the right diameter and weight. however single o buckshot is also very good. bearings work but are a bit light. the fold up ones are ok and are compact enough to have with you. a long brace and large forks help accuracy a lot. your plan to carry the bands and cut a fork is sound. sun light is rubbers enemy and you will need to replace them yearly. oh and i like that cat a pult a lot. we bought black powder and put it in soda straws and tried to shoot rockets at the next dorm.

I usually bring one along on most hunts to pot birds or the occcasional parka squirrel that is tearing stuff up. I like shooting muzzle loader balls .32-.44, but rocks work too.