Thread: Help me decide...

Default Help me decide...

Hello all,
    I'm torn on wether to get a new Remington 22.250 as a tactical/varmint/food rifle. I have a couple of 30.06's and I will be living in the semi-bush with my wife hopefully next year.
    The dilemma is this, should I save my money and get more reloading components to load my 06's down with 115gr or .22 sabots for varmints and flat shooting homestead defense, or go with a new rifle and caliber?
    I'm wondering if I would shoot a smaller caliber more thus be more accurate with it? I don't seem to want to shoot the 06's as much, I'm not sure why... ammo expense maybe, or I think it's too much rifle for some situations, I don't know.
    I just need some input to help with this decision.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

22-250 get one, you will like it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default cabin rifle

Too much talk on this website about people guns but you should have something around the homestead for bears and bums . Buy a Marlin 1895 .45-70 , they sell cheap second hand and are real easy to disassemble to clean and are relatively bomb proof . Pick a 22" barrel version if you have a choice , this guide gun bobbed barrel fad is a joke . Buffalo Bore Company sells ammo for .45-70 that gives you velocity that only " let it all hang out " reloading will equal . A tough 400 gr. bullet at 2,000 fps is going to keep you safe and secure from anything and everything in the world , prime time big bear rig . Don't put too much faith in that '06 unless you're slinging heavy Noslers or Swifts but it is a great meat cartridge for moose , black bear and caribou . I load 110's in my '06 for rabbits and birds and keep a pocket full of '06 with 250 gr's just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm torn on wether to get a new Remington 22.250 as a tactical/varmint/food rifle. I have a couple of 30.06's and I will be living in the semi-bush with my wife hopefully next year.
    The dilemma is this, should I save my money and get more reloading components to load my 06's down with 115gr or .22 sabots for varmints and flat shooting homestead defense, or go with a new rifle and caliber?
    I'm wondering if I would shoot a smaller caliber more thus be more accurate with it? I don't seem to want to shoot the 06's as much, I'm not sure why... ammo expense maybe, or I think it's too much rifle for some situations, I don't know.
    I just need some input to help with this decision.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

Tactical/varmint/food rifle. Hmmm! To be practical, for more remote areas, the prolific 223 may be better. If you can obtain a good AR style gun it can serve many needs. Certainly the 22-250 would do everything better but it is limited in ammo availability. Autoloaders are however wasteful with brass so that should be considered but even in a bolt gun or such a 223 is more practical. This with the '06 will cover the bases well. If you hand load foir the '06 now I'd certqinly invest in a set of dies for any caliber you decide on but you really cant make an '06 into a 223, the accellerator loads are not much for shootability in an '06. You, of course, will need a good 22 rimfire rifle, the food rifle available, to augment the 30-06.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

.22 Hornet ! Quiet, cheap, effective out to 250 yards cartridge. Handloads can glean 2900fps with a 45grn bullet, up to 2500fps with a 55grn bullet.

An often underrated and overlooked cartridge IMO.

Lightbulb .22LR Rimfire

'Food' gun for smaller game ----- .22 LR rimfire hands down.

Ammo is cheep - practice is fun

Get a rifle (new or used) of dependable quality with a reputation for very good accuracy, and reliable simplicity.

Leave the higher intensity 'varmint' .17, .20 & .22 centerfires out of the 'food' picture. Nevertheless, when or if you intend to concentrate on larger furberering animals for whatever other reasoning then and only then go there.

.223REM & 5.56x45 even 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 plinking/target/varmint (like surplus and bulk-type) ammo is available most places and will certainly be cost cutting options to plinking-off your .30-06 boxes of more expensive hunting ammunition. For that matter, so would buying a Mosin Nagant (not a junk one) and tins of 7.62x54R ammo.

The .22-250 is a wonderful cartridge, but not in the same category as the .223 REM when it comes to plinking/target/varmint multi-purpose usage as the surplus and bulk-type ammunitions like the aforementioned provide.

On the 'Cabin Defensive Role' side of considerations for here in Alaska... Kinda depends where you are. In most cases I'd say a trusty 12 GA shotgun for its handiness, versatility, and reputation for stopping most any "close up & personal dirty work."

The Marlin .45-70 would be a fine choice... but it really wont out-duel the .30-06.

An AR-15 was mentioned for 'Cabin Defense'... not a bad way to go, but if leaning toward an assault-type-weapon (for this purpose) here in Alaska having a good quality AK is better than the AR and easier to maintain in a knock around environment having less than familiar hands.

I'd say bring the .30-06, get a really good .22 rimfire rifle, and consider a 12 GA. That's practically all a person needs unless you throw in a handgun.