Thread: Pre-season tune up

Default Pre-season tune up

So I got the old 700RMK out of the shed yesterday... Fired right up (after about 25 pulls!) As soon as I get a little space in the garage, I'm moving it in to go through the pre-season routine - clean/lube suspension, clutches/jackshaft, align skis, etc.. Just wondering if any of you have some tune up ideas that might slip the mind of the average shade tree mechanic? Chain case oil is on the list this year and I have a couple of hoses that are showing some rub marks so I may have to change them out. We'll see.

Standing next to my machine purring like a kitten and smelling that 2-stroke smoke brought back LOTS of memories! Now all I need is to find some snow!!!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Red face tune up?

my son reminded me the other day that I had not put his track and all the suspension stuff back on his sno-go.
    about April my son pulls into the yard on his 340 indy lite and it just stops and won't move.
    He comes in the house and asks me to look at it..
    Well I can see the Wheel at the rear of the track is missing and the suspension is either gone or busted up under the tunnel.
    I lift the machine to see all kinds of bent , twisted and missing parts.
    How long ago did you notice a problem I ask?
    "Well about a week ago I lost that one wheel on the back, but it seemed to go along alright without it".. he announces..
    I give him my pocket knife and send the boy out to the willow patch to find a good stout 3 footer.. " if you can't find a willow, cut a 3 foot piece of Garden hose" I tell him.
    He asks " Can we really fix this thing with a 3 foot willow?"
    I have to laugh , Not because it was that funny, but because If I didn't laugh I was gonna start cursing.....
    Well,, we begged and bought parts for the thing until I think I almost have enough to fix it back, but Alas,, summer came and the covers went on the sleds and they were pulled back out of sight on the trailer...
    So Like you ,, I will have to clean out a spot in the Garage and spend a couple of nights making his sled all better..
    He told me today that once we get it back to running good,, he would like to sell it and move up to a REV 600 ski doo... Yeah he says " I can add my PFD to the sale price and " I bust in... "your about 5 grand short son....
    Now go get me that 9/16 open end and socket.".
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

How old is your son, Max? My 10 yr. old wants a dang M6 and he has a perfectly good Indy Lite...he's about 6 grand short with his dividend and cash on hand...LOL....

Anyhow, back to the topic. I learned the hard way to completely drain all the old fuel and replace it. A detonated piston on my Summit X a few years ago on the first ride of the season made it very clear to me to take the time to remove the old fuel and replace. Other than that it sounds like you have it covered.

Default Good Job!!!

Excellent job Alaska canoe!! My old man got me and old Elan when we were 8 I think. After that I was on My own, He taught me how to fix it, I broke springs all the time. Then he helped me find a parts machine, which I ended up getting to run Great!!! I got it to run better than the new ones. I was down at the radar runs and the boys were giving me some grief to give her a run, well i got it to go 65MPH!!! At the end of the day I was hired to work at the local snowmachine shop at 14yrs old!! I quickly learned how to fix sleds, and at the end of the season he gave me an incredible deal on an MXZ, which we slightly modded over the summer!! Fastest sled in town for awhile. Two things I learned with that first machine, 1) how to fix it, and respect the machine, not just beat it. 2) Then it lead to a part-time job which taught me the meaning of a dollar. Which maybe lead me to get an education in aeronautical/mechanical engineering.... Anyway I think it's great that you get out there and HELP him fix the sled, I do the same thing with my step daughter!! Shes learning how to respect mechanical things, and how to figure them out. We all need to do this with our kids, and NOT go out and buy them the latest greatest things, plus the quality time spent with them is irreplacable!!

Default Oh no! Not the willow branch.

My mom used to make me cut my own willow branch. Once I was apparently on good behavior for a couple weeks (pretty rare ) when she grabbed that willow branch from beside the frig and gave me a good swat. It had dried out and just broke over the back of my legs and I laughed. She felt compelled to actually go cut her own branch and what a whiipin' I got. That's when I decided those trees had to go. It is still a mystery to her why all 3 of those trees died all at once. <grin>

My son is all involved in fixing his own equipment too. It's fun to help and watch them learn.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    So I got the old 700RMK out of the shed yesterday... Fired right up (after about 25 pulls!) As soon as I get a little space in the garage, I'm moving it in to go through the pre-season routine - clean/lube suspension, clutches/jackshaft, align skis, etc.. Just wondering if any of you have some tune up ideas that might slip the mind of the average shade tree mechanic? Chain case oil is on the list this year and I have a couple of hoses that are showing some rub marks so I may have to change them out. We'll see.

Standing next to my machine purring like a kitten and smelling that 2-stroke smoke brought back LOTS of memories! Now all I need is to find some snow!!!
    i would consider replacing the clutch springs they tend to get a memorie unless you take the cluthces apart every spring , clean the exaust valves and the port that moves the valve out every one forgets that one , check the coil wires for cracks and pop your air box out and clean out the mouse chunks in it !! also check your exaust y pipe the 700 those bolts back out and leaked alot maby replace your exaust springs and seals also just a few off the top of my head OH YEA AND THE BIGGEST OF ALL !!! replace your water pump belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Pre season tune

Since I live in the valley and we dont have any wind, and I just covered my machines up this summer and fall.
    I grease, all zerks , check chan cases to Generally depending on how many miles put on , will change oil before start of season. Clean airbox.Check wear on ski carbides, Go over all bolts on suspension, and front end for tighteness
    I pull my drive belts after last ride in spring , so as not to have a spot wear the belt sat idle, then take old belt with a clean scrub brush in warm water scrub the old blet residue and dust from the belt Helps to get rid of grime in the clutches. Take some brake clutch cleaner spray in the clutches and clean and blow them out . Also hit the brake calipier check to clean it with brake clean. Once that cleaning is done, clean the inside of the bulhead, with cleaner. Once machine is gone through mecahniclly, wires lights etc are all okay. I take wipe machine down and then use lemon pledge on cowling and hood and polish , also helps from snow stickingto it ,spray good old WD 40 on suspension in spring time helps so wet snow and ice doesnt stick so bad.
    Trust me Learned some of this from a Buddy of Mine who is an Extremesist about his snowmachines. We ride in spring time at Summit lake (Paxon) average of about a 100 miles or more a day .Every morning its checking , our sleds and wifes sleds and few others sleds . One doesnt want to Have to be Towed back By MY ARTIC CAT TOWING SERVICE >> reminds me last couple years NICE Seeing those POLORIS behind me (( no pun ))) There all good.
    r
    Also use Gasoline stabil before storing, but try to run machines low on fuel fresh fuel with stable in them. Also check water pump belts
    Check wear on HighFax so doesnt get into the rails
    < Like you, I let my son have a couple year old 550 Poloris fan I picked up, needed some work on it> After he couldnt move anymore because the Plastic ski fell off , because the carbides woreout and into the ski,(mind you he lives with his mother and stepfather) there were certain criteria to him taking it, I knew in my heart and he assured me that it would be running when I came back from Work out here . I went picked it up and Oh ya dad , When I looked at , thank God the ski broke , front suspension shock was broke all bolts were gone on ride side of skid.
    I have slowly resorected the dead, again, and its sitting in my shed... Did have him help me some as I showed him afew things on what to do and look for , between the @@##$ chewings..
    I do know my father didnt by my first one, and I had to work on it there just about like boats , ridem and work on if you want to come back riding

Anyway thats my list of to do's
    800 Mtn Cat, Speedwerx Fat daddy pipe, Clutche kit, lightweight seat
    soon to be maybe acouple more items to add..
    Have Fun HOPE FOR LOTS of DEEP