Thread: Another threat to Alaska fisheries management

Default Another threat to Alaska fisheries management

News article in Houston paper covers plans to now raise farmed fish in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6233794.html

Another source of fresh seafood for the nations markets puts a even bigger burden for management of Alaska's fisheries resources. The aticle notes that: ".., imports now satisfy 84 percent of the nationís growing appetite for seafood, and at least 40 percent of that is farmed, according to the most recent federal data."

Almost all of the shrimp, catfish, and trout sold are now farm raised; I don't know the percentage of salmon but it must large. As this trend continues the importance and value of our fisheries may continue to drop.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I dig catfish farming and shrimp farming, those critters will eat anything that falls in the pond so you don't have to spend a bunch of money on fishmeal that came from wild fish. Maybe we should start selling carp too...

Salmon and trout farming on the other hand is pretty stupid and not sustainable and a large threat to AK fisheries on a number of levals.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

They already are farming Halibut in Scotland, Norway, and Japan. Salmon farming is big business in Chile, Norway, and Canada. It is only a matter of time before the US getts into it. Like you said we already have catfish, shrimp,clams, and who knows what else we are raising. The US population alone could eat all that Alaska produces and still want more. I think we are already past the 300,000,000 million mark.

Default cost is a major issue

Shrimp is an excellent example of the sucess of commercial fish farming. From what I read recently something like 98% of the shrimp consumed in the US is now farmed. No one is screaming for "wild" shrimp and the prices have fallen drastically in real dollars - shrimp has gotten very affordable compared to what we used to pay for it.

With the downturn in the economy our wild salmon could take a real hit- like shrimp it is considered by many to be an optional luxury food and people will be eating cheaper forms of seafood and protein.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    They already are farming Halibut in Scotland, Norway, and Japan. Salmon farming is big business in Chile, Norway, and Canada. It is only a matter of time before the US getts into it. Like you said we already have catfish, shrimp,clams, and who knows what else we are raising. The US population alone could eat all that Alaska produces and still want more. I think we are already past the 300,000,000 million mark.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK