Thread: Ruger MkII magnum question

Default Ruger MkII magnum question

The Ruger Mk II Magnum has 5 screws on the bottem side of the stock. 1 in front of the magazine floor plate 1 in front of and 1 behind the trigger guard.
    The other 2 are located on the forend of the stock.

My question is how should these forward screws be tightened? Ruger does not address them in the owners manual or on thier web site.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    The Ruger Mk II Magnum has 5 screws on the bottem side of the stock. 1 in front of the magazine floor plate 1 in front of and 1 behind the trigger guard.
    The other 2 are located on the forend of the stock.

My question is how should these forward screws be tightened? Ruger does not address them in the owners manual or on thier web site.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have a Ruger M77 MK-II, and it only has three screws. One holds the floor plate against the receiver area, another is located in front of the trigger guard, and the last one behind the trigger guard.

Is your rifle new? If so, there will be instructions on how to tighten the stock screws in the owner's manual. I know how to tighten such screws, but only three of them. Here are the instructions (out of the manual) for my rifle (with all the screws loose):

1. Install the magazine box on receiver.
    2. Place the barrel/action assembly on the stock.
    3. Install the trigger guard, but don't tighten the screws.
    4. Install the floor plate hinge assembly, and firmly tighten the screw (this screw is angled and draws the barrel-action assembly into the bedding surface of the stock).
    5. Tighten the two trigger guard assembly as follows:
    a. Do not tighten one screw all the way and then the other. Instead, alternately tighten each one-a partial turn at a time-so that the screws are tightened equally until both are snugly tightened.

If you have followed the instructions carefully, the front screw (underneath the floor plate) will be firmly tightened, the middle screw (in front of the trigger guard) snugly tightened, and the rear screw snugly tightened. However, you can excerpt a little more torque to the rear screw if you want, but the middle screw should not be tightened as much. This one you have to be careful with. It must be "snugly" tightened only.

Default ruger

Does the same go for the old ruger m77 with the tang safety?

Default ruger mkII magnum

The mkII magnum does have 2 additional screws in the forend.
    about 10 inches forward of the magazine.
    These extra screws are only on the MAGNUM actions such as the 375 H&H,
    416 Rigby, and the 458 Lott.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

One of those front screws in the forearm screws into a barrel band recoil lug. The other one I believe screws into a short metal plate. Not for sure on that though as it has been years since I owned mine.

Default Ruger Magnum

I'll try to help you out:

The standard mkII has a wedge shaped recoil lug w/ an angled screw whereas the MAGNUM uses a recoil plate. The recoil plate is a flat hunk of steel that runs from the second forend screw (back from muzzle) all the way to the angled action screw. The recoil plate is inletted into the forend for a snug fit and is held in place by the second forend screw that treads directly into it. Instead of a wedge shaped recoil lug, the MAGNUM uses a small tit/boss that fits into a matching hole at the rear of the recoil plate. The MAGNUM barrel has a machined lower rib that mates the recoil plate w/ an additional step/platform that is threaded for the first forend screw (closest to muzzle). The rear two action screws are the same as the standard mkII.

From scratch what I do is ensure the recoil plate is in place correctly and snugged in place by its forend screw. W/ everything in place and lightly snugged but not tight (to avoid binding), I tighten the angled action screw to desired torque. I then tighten the rear action screw to desired torque which is usually approx. 5-in/lb less than the angled action screw. I then just snug up the center screw followed by the front forend screw. I recheck my torque in the same order and check to ensure there is no binding w/ the mag box. If all looks good I shoot.

GVA