Thread: Bait freezing...

Default Bait freezing...

What does one do to keep their trapping bait from freezing? I was thinking of just soaking it in an anti-freeze/water mixture.

antifreeze water mixture? Are you sure you even want to mention something like that? You will kill them before you trap them!

Glycerin is what most trappers use, bait freezing will be the least of your worries if F&G catches wind of someone using antifreeze. Just FYI.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

You can get a high grade glycerin at trapping supply stores. People use it when making there own lure, or mix it in with store bought lure to get the consistency they want. I wouldn't put anything on your bait though, let it freeze and add a little lure at or above your bait.

Default Thanks for the info...

Haven't used anything on my bait yet, I will try the glycerin. Can it be bought at the grocery or hardware store?

We very rarely use anything on our baits either to keep them from freezing. But we do have glycerin on hand if needed for something but the more natural you leave your bait, the better.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Scent...

I figured the baits scent would carry better if it wasn't completely frozen. I didn't like the anti-freeze idea either, but it was all that came to mind.

Its ok, you just caught me off guard with that one!

Most the lures we use already include glycerin in them to keep them from freezing. But then again, it all depends on your set, what your using for bait etc.....We have a set that has a moose leg (permit from F&G) and they love that set, nothing is added. You may not be able to smell your bait, just remember animals have a different sense of smell.

All trappers use frozen bait. Sometimes I will thaw my bait out before I use it but never try to keep it from freezing.

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the help and advice. Now...hmm..what else can I ask while so many are paying attention??

Default bait

let your bait taint a little before you use it as it will have a little more smell but putting glycerine on it is a waste of time and $$$!! Use a lure with your bait, for canines and cats a gland lure is good plus a squirt of urine at the set. For marten use a skunky lure with your bait.........

Default baits

Your bait will freeze if the temps are below freezing. Nothing you can do about it. Taint it a bit. Your lure is what will put out the odor.

Default Yep...

Will not be trying the glycerin. I've tainted the bait already. I guess my concern originated in that it is my understanding that the bait is intended to get them across your trap/set and figured bait that wasn't frozen (thus having a stronger scent) would be more effective. What can I say, I'm a newbie. Thanks for the advice though (and thanks again to all those who replied).

I don't bother with keeping it from freezing. Besides, hering oil does most of the work for me anyways.
    Now what ?