Thread: Halibut purchase?

Default Halibut purchase?

Just wondering if the commerical halibut fishermen can sell some fish to the general public, or just to the cannery? My elderly mother is under 24/7 constant care by wife and I, therefore cant hit the sound and go halibut fishing . She absolutely loves the fish and I sure would like to find a reasonable way to put some in the freezer. Would make my day and her diet! Thanks for any and all help.
    Rich

Only those fishermen who are a "registered buyer" can sell their own fish. Basically it means that they have some additional paperwork and a certified scale, as they need to be able to report their poundage to the IPHC. I have a friend who is such a fisherman, but he won't be going out until April. If you still need some fish around that time frame, let me know and I'll put you in contact with him.

If you come into Anchorage, heck, I'll give you a few pounds for her.

Smile

Wow, thanks you two for all. I can wait as long as need be. Not sure when next date to Anchorage is, depends on weather and a "mother-sitter" as it was for mom. But I shall very much appreciate all.

I can certainly wait until April to purchase also. So very kind of you both.
    Much thanks.
    Rich

Buy it at costco, 10th & M or new saguyas its easier than running around meeting up with guys and you can pick and choose what ever pieces you want. Probally cheaper than buying a whole fish and having to pay for the head & bones(but you probally do that in costco's also)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Almost exclusively all Halibut is "pre sold" 1/2 a day or so before the boat even see's the harbor.Technically those boats involved cant sell off the dock at a whim,those days are long gone.Unless a purchase is pre-arranged,which happens on a very small scale anymore.
    All the Seattle fleet and there crew owned IFQ will be registered buyer certified,this has to do with transporting fish across state/international borders(the way I remember it).
    Another outlet (least used to be) is calling Icicle Seafoods in Seward direct,youll pay retail,but it will be expertly handled by the cannery,one less middle man=more shelf life.
    May not pencil out after you factor in driving + time,course if you need a good excuse to get out,well then it may work afterall.

ak4195

Quote Originally Posted by ak4195 View Post
    Almost exclusively all Halibut is "pre sold" 1/2 a day or so before the boat even see's the harbor.Technically those boats involved cant sell off the dock at a whim,those days are long gone.Unless a purchase is pre-arranged,which happens on a very small scale anymore.
    Very true that it doesn't happen much anymore, but it does on a limited basis. Our friend typically brings back ~2,000 pounds per trip to sell to established customers and to newcomers from his driveway. The rest is "pre-sold" to a cannery as you explain.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Probally cheaper than buying a whole fish and having to pay for the head & bones(but you probally do that in costco's also)
    Doubtful. The seller I know was selling it at around $5/lb last year, while fillets at Costco were running in the $15/lb range. The meat yield on a halibut is much better than 33%.

Default Come and get it in Seward

I know of two IFQ share holders who sell off their boats and to markets in Anchorage. They have all the permits. I am sure if you wanted to by say 100 pounds, they would put it aside and sell it to you.
    PM me if you are interested.

It is cheaper than retail and you can get it fresh off the boat and either bag it or pay the processor to vaccum seal it exactly how you want it.

Just an idea... what about keeping it sport caught and finding someone who could carry a proxy for your mother? I carry my father's proxy most summers. Makes for some extra work for me and additional paperwork to carry, but we all much prefer the fish a family member caught to something off a commercial boat.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Just an idea... what about keeping it sport caught and finding someone who could carry a proxy for your mother? I carry my father's proxy most summers. Makes for some extra work for me and additional paperwork to carry, but we all much prefer the fish a family member caught to something off a commercial boat.

-Case
    You cannot proxy fish for halibut per the regs.

Here's the reference.

Q. Can I proxy fish for halibut?

A. NO, Alaska state regulations prohibit the taking of halibut by proxy in sport fishing, personal use fishing and subsistence fishing per 5 AAC 01.011(b), 5 AAC 75.011(b), and 5 AAC 77.016(b).

From the PWS reg book:
    • Since halibut are federally managed, and since federal law prohibits the taking of more than two halibut per person per day, proxy fishing for halibut is not allowed. You may NOT take two bag limits of halibut on the same day, as allowed for other species under state proxy regulations.
    See page 5 for proxy regulations.

Oops... sorry. I forgot about that. I carry a State proxy and use it for crab, salmon, rockfish, etc. but not halibut... like I said, just an idea! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]