Thread: 629 Trail Boss

Default 629 Trail Boss

I just picked one of these up and was wondering if anybody new by serial number when the pistol was made. Any Info would be great. Would like to know what kind of ammo is ok to shoot with it? Serial number is RSR9503. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    I just picked one of these up and was wondering if anybody new by serial number when the pistol was made. Any Info would be great. Would like to know what kind of ammo is ok to shoot with it? Serial number is RSR9503. Thanks in advance
    RSR is a Jobber or wholesaler who has manufactures make limited runs of slight variants of the original. Give or that three years about 2005 Mfg. Shoot any .44 Magnum ammo you want. Or any .44 Special ammo you want. Nice firearm.

Default trail boss

Thanks appreciate the reply.

First off, I would not recommend posting your gun's serial # on the 'Net. That doesn't seem prudent. In answer to your question, contact S&W. I had a Smith that I called about and they gave me the date of manufacture, how many were made, and other pertinent info.

Default serial number?

Just curious why the serial number would matter? Also the reason I post it is I know some gun manufactures put the date in the serial numbers I just didn't know what sequence.

Default Thanks

Good advice. I contacted S&W and the said it was a RSR speacial and was made Feb 22, 1996.

It will shoot anything a 629 made yesterday will shoot.

What is, or where can I find the phone # for S&W? I have an old 629 that is identical to the current mountain gun, but has a matte finish All stainless no mim parts and the only markings are 44 magnum on the right side of the barrel and the S&W logo is about 1 inch tall on the left side of the frame and rollmarked not engraved. I was told this is a mountan revolver the predecesor of the mountain gun. I'd like to find out if it infact is what I've been told.

Default Smith and Wesson.

Here is the number. Real nice customer service dept.
    1-800-331-0852 (USA)
    Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

I called S&W this am. They said my 629-2 was a Mountain Gun made for RSR in '89. That's interesting as I thought al MG's were polished with MG on the barrel. Mine only has 44 magnum on the barrel and a small S&W trademark rollmarked on the side hmm.

Dale, here is one that sounds like what you have with a bead blast finish. I don't see "Mountain Gun" on that barrel either.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction...Item=119731880

Yep that's it. In a few weeks it wil be wearing Ahrends grips. Gotta order them tonight. Haven't decided what shade of cocobolo though.

Good luck with your Mountain Gun.. I'm in the process of buying one also... it's a 629-3 with a satin finish. I think they are one of the nicer handguns produced by S&W.