Thread: 20A Antlerless Moose

Default 20A Antlerless Moose

Doesn't seem like anyone is talking about this hunt this year. I know they closed a lot of the 20A area but there are still some areas open. Is anyone getting across the Tanana since the warm spell we had? I am thinking about going in this weekend to try and pull a moose out.

Thanks
    Carl

nobody has been over there?

talked to fairbanks f&g last week. very little snow and waterways were questionable after that big heat wave we had. more vegetation and dirt than snow. hope this helps.

Default little snow, plenty of overflow

I went over just after the warm spell. Crossing the Tanana was no problem. There was no snow in the wind-blown open areas, and lots of overflow/melt on the creeks. went over and came back the same day. It is probably better now with the little snow we have gotten. Without a studded track, you won't get very far up the creeks. Saw a few caribou and 1 cow with a calf.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am hoping to get back in there this weekend.

Thanks
    Carl

Went out on saturday and had snowmachine break out on the river, but went back and fixed it all up and headed back out sunday. Left fairbanks and it was pretty darn cold. Managed to get the snowmachines all fired up and headed across. The river crossing is great. There is a well established trail going across. We ran arround back there all day and saw nothing but caribou. The guy with the mules across the river said that it was 50 below at his place that morning when we drove by. He was baffled that we would try to go back hunting when it was that cold. I had no idea. I knew it was cold and the girlfriends nose got a little cold but I think she did real good for a texas girl. Weather looks a lot warmer this weekend so I hope we will be able to get out again.

Thanks
    Carl