Thread: Is a 25/20 merc jet too small for a 16' jon?

Default Is a 25/20 merc jet too small for a 16' jon?

Hi all -- I'm looking at a 16' crestliner flat bottom jon with a 25/20 merc jet. Is this motor too small to plane this boat with 3 guys a day gear?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Hi all -- I'm looking at a 16' crestliner flat bottom jon with a 25/20 merc jet. Is this motor too small to plane this boat with 3 guys a day gear?

Thanks!
    Is the boat welded or riveted? IMO it is not enough motor for what you want to do.

I have a 17'6" welded Crestliner jon. When I bought the boat it came with a 40 jet. It was barely enough for 2 adults and 2 young children. I sold the 40 and replaced it with a 90 and it works alot better.

Good Luck

Default I think it'll be close...

We have a 16' Alumaweld Xpress jon with a 25 4-stroke Yamaha prop. With 3 big guys (all over 200 lbs.) and fishing stuff, cooler it will get on plane with the "power" prop (only 2 props available for this motor, I have both). Wish we had a little more ponies but the motor runs great, quiet, and way good mileage. Also depends on where you're running it. The Kenai has a pretty good/fast current. The more current the tougher to get on step.
    I don't have or know much about jets, but that jet only robs 5 hp from the motor??? Seems that they take more (I've heard 30% or so) to run the jet.
    All that to say, "run what u brung"!
    Jim

I've got a 16 SeaArk and have tried that motor on my boat and it barely planes out with me alone (200lbs). I run a 50/35 and I can get on step with 3 people and some gear (light). Conversly with a 15 prop that baby will plane out 3 guys and some gear.

The merc 25/20 jet is a bad azz motor. I know guys who run that on the Lowe 14' and it is a great fit.

Sobie2

My son has a 14' tracker with a 20/25 jet. It does the little su with 2 people and light gear. It does have to run WOT to get up river and move about 20 mph. Add one more person and its a dog, barley gets on step. Think you might be pushing it with a 16'.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    My son has a 14' tracker with a 20/25 jet. It does the little su with 2 people and light gear. It does have to run WOT to get up river and move about 20 mph. Add one more person and its a dog, barley gets on step. Think you might be pushing it with a 16'.
    My brother also has a 14' Lowe with the same motor. Him and his wife with very little gear is about all it will push.

I looked up some specs on the Lowe/Crestliner sites. His boat wieghs ~ 145 lbs, and a riveted 16' Crestliner is ~420 lbs. I know I was surprised how much heavier the Cresliner is than the Lowe. That was much of the reason I had to go to bigger HP for my Crestliner.

Remember if you have an underpowered Jet boat, then you may as well be running a prop because you will be hitting everything in the river anyway. I always like to have more HP and run at lower RPM and keep the extra power in reserve in case its needed to get out of a tight spot.

I realize that the Max HP your boat is rated for is a factor. I think you should reconsider maybe a larger boat to do what you want.

Just my 2 cents.

It will move it but that's about all. Way under powered for any kind of load besides styrofoam peanuts. 40 would be minimum and that will still be a dog for packing 3 guys and gear.

KK

Default looking for pump or lower unit 25hp merc

Hey
    As long as you guys are on the topic. I have a 2002 Merc 25hp with a smashed lower unit I am looking for a pump or replacment . MY 15' with prop will not step with three adults

Default To Plane or not to Plane?

I had a 16/48 Monark flat with a 35 Merc jet
    3 guys with fishing gear - Plane
    3 guys fishing gear 6 silvers - No Plane
    there is a very abrupt edge of the envelope when running small hp on a small boat
    = Know your boats limitations and stay within them
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I had a rivited 16/48 Lowe Tunnel with a 40hp Johnson jet (knocked it down to around 32-35hp). I could run 3 guys/gear/13 gallon tank without much problem, but it was slooooow going upstream on the Little Su. I could run the entire lower river at WOT without any problem. I think the 25 Merc would really be a dog with 3 guys. With only two guys, it was great! Popped right up on step and carried a fair amount of speed. When I added that third guy though, everything slowed down.

I'm running a 17' welded Alumaweld semi-V with a 115 jet now and I'm never looking back!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question AK Mud?

Sorry for off original subject,

Is your 115 at the head or jet?
    I'm really looking to move up from the 90/65 and was wondering about the 115 or possibly a Suzuki 140
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

It's 115 at the head. It's an old motor, but runs like a champ. I've got a friend with the Suzi 140 and he really likes it. You might check out the Evinrude E-tecs too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

60/40 hp @ jet would be perfect

The answer to your question is no the 25/20 will not work for what you want. The 60/40 would be a good choice. I had an 18' Crestliner and I used all of the 60/40 to do what I like to do. Lowe and slow is on the mark. The limit is abrupt from planning to wallowing.

Make sure you get a short shaft to minimize the height of the lift plate and keep an eye out for cracking where the transom and gunnels meet. I'm surprised Shrop didn't tell you of the problems he had with his Crestliner. That motor combined with the lift plate puts alot of strain on the back end of that boat, especially when trailering it. Food for thought. Don't want to see someone else go through what Shop did with his.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Ok thanks. It was quite a deal at $4500 for both motor and boat barely used, but doesn't sound like it will work.

Default I rescued 4 guys in that setup

I was in the tannana and saw that same setup come out of piledriver slough. They turned up river ot wot and not on step. The boat was still going down river. I threw them a rope and pulled them to shore. I hauled 2 of the guys and the cooler with 3 cases of beer back to the launch for them.
    They had about 1000 lbs on the boat and went straight to the tannana for its first voyage. They were lucky they did not sink it.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Yes that is to small.

You will need a 50/35 Jet. I just sold my 50/35 and bought a 90/65 Honda. If you are looking for a smoking hot deal on a Honda try Tanana Adventure Sports right now. I got a 90/65 for under 7000.00. AMD in Anchorage is asking 9900 for a 90/65.

Rick