Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Outback Gun...

Default First Outback Gun...

Planning on getting my first revolver for the Outback. Seems .44 Magnum is far more popular than .45 Colt. Reasons? I'm looking at either a Ruger Super Blackhawk or a Redhawk. Opinions are welcome!

Both good guns and both good calibers.For the normal factory loads the 44mag loads are hotter than the 45Colt but when you move up to premium ammo like CorBon or hand load the 45 holds its own and at times can better the 44 mag.As for the pistols pick the one that fits your hand the best.Note if concidering putting rubber grips on the single action you might just as well buy the double action as the grip will change the operating design of the single action which is to roll up in the hand.With rubber grips the gun dosen't roll and your grip stays the same.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know concerning the grips. Think I'd prefer a .45 Colt. Lower pressure always struck me as a good thing in a sidearm. I'm strictly a 45acp guy, and come to think of it a 1911 guy too when it comes to more suburban sidearms!

Default First, it depends on what is the task

Firearm selection depends on the task(s) for which the gun is intended.

If "social" work, double action is generally preferred. But you probably have that covered with a 1911 of some kind.

So, tell us something about the tasking?

Primarily a defense against dangerous animals? Will you be often in harms way, like hunting and fishing in bear-populated areas or just incidentaly exposed? Will you consider hunting with it? As primary or as backup?

Do you reload?

A consideration is that you are already invested in 45ACP. A Single Action Ruger Blackhawk can be had with a .45ACP cylinder in addition to the .45 Colt cylinder. Switching them out is easier than changing the barrel in your 1911.

Double action 45 Colt revolvers can also have their cylinder and ejector star "dished" to accept 45 ACP cartridges in moon clips, too, but requires the services of a gunsmith (local ones doing this work are available).

Tell us something about yourself

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the wonderful world of revolvers.

Lost Sheep

For hiking in upstate New York. Personal defense against the rare black bear, and less rare sociopath. I'm leaning towards the Ruger Redhawk 4" in .45 Colt. If Ruger presently made a Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel, I'd certainly take a close look at that. Convertable Blackhawk? Won't be too punishing with heavy .45 Colt loads? A convertable Super Blackhawk and I think I'd be sold.

I'm not a hunter, so this is strictly for "security".

Presently I'm more of a rifle guy. Around a dozen old military rifles of one sort or another, and just two 1911s as sidearms. But I think my focus is shifting towards sidearms at the moment.

Do wish I lived a little further "out". Looking forward to doing some camping in your neck of the woods at some point. Alaska looks like one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad I found your forum!

You can buy a super blackhawk grip frame and put put it on a blackhawk with no problem.Same gun just different grip frame

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You can buy a super blackhawk grip frame and put put it on a blackhawk with no problem.Same gun just different grip frame
    Oooh, that sounds nice.
    Thanks much, I'm going to have to look into that. Should I contact Ruger for the gripframe?

I think you're on the right track either way you go. I, too, am a big fan of the 45 Colt but either 44 or 45 would serve well. I doubt any difference could be seen on the bear end of the deal with either, given equal bullet weights.

I had a Redhawk 4" in 44 and one in 5 1/2" for a while. They are indestructable but a bit heavy. I swapped out the Hogue Batam grips for standard wood grips, gave me better crontrol with heavy loads. You may like the Hogues. The 5 1/2" comes with the standard wood. These are made in 45 Colt now so that choice is there.

I really like the blackhawk/Super blackhawk guns, especially the 4 5/8" I have a few of them. One of my favorites of all is the 44 Superblack hawk with the lighter, round guard, steel grip frame with the 5 1/2" barrel. This is a honey of a revolver. The big square back trigger guard was a real knuckle buster for me even though the gun was heavier. This steel grip frame was standard on all blackhawks and still is as far as I know. I don't think the lighter Vaquero frame is used. My little super is light and handy and handles the 300 to 325 grains at 1200 fps in the perfect muzzle roll up fashion of absorbing recoil. That's the way they are supposed to work. Just as Amigo Will said.

To carry a big revolver in the field I think barrel length is a factor and depending on the holster used I could take a 4" to 5 1/2" barrel. This will allow sitting on the ground or riding a horse or wheeler without extra barrel getting in the way. The 5 1/2" does give a bit more sight radius and make longer shots easier.

One nice thing about the Redhawks is the easy changable front sight to different color inserts or my preference, just black steel. The 4" gun does not have this feature and it annoyed my greatly. It seems Ruger thought the sight would have been to high to put it on that ramp. That may have been the case for shooting those factory 180 to 240 JHP loads but I never use such in a forty four. I had to really crank down the rear sight for my 300 grain cast at about 1100 fps.

Hopefully there are more bears in up state NY than sociopaths but I fear one day the bears will be out numbered. Welcome to the forum, glad your with us.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the informative reply Murphy. I think the bears are already outnumbered. Two good Rugers to explore. I'm enjoying the process!

Ruger may sell you the grip frame but I would get it from Brownells

Hey RGL01...What would be your primary concerns for carrying a handgun in Australia...?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    Hey RGL01...What would be your primary concerns for carrying a handgun in Australia...?
    You mean you don’t know what he meant by outback?

One of my best friend from high school lived on a dairy farm in New Jersey till he was 10. He fit right in with us northern Arizona brush poppers once we got used to his accent and that he always called anything undeveloped “outback.” To him it was like saying out back of someone’s farm or the north 40. I still rib him about it sometimes "What’s that you say city boy?" and it still gets his gander up after 40 years.

RGL01, I like a 45 better myself, never been a 44 fan for some reason. Either will do fine for black bear so I think it’s just a matter of finding one you fall in love with when you pick it up now.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Planning on getting my first revolver for the Outback. Seems .44 Magnum is far more popular than .45 Colt. Reasons?
    The .45 could have 2 times the power and the .44 would still be more popular, and always will be, because it has that magic "M" word on the back of it.

Default a different caliber to consider

Not to throw a monkey wrench in all of this, but if the main concerns are the rare blackbear and 2-legged crazies, then .357 might suffice. It's what I carry when I hike around western Washington. My current gun of choice is a Ruger SP101, but I've thought of picking up an L or N framed Smith & Wesson because of their 7 and 8 shot capacities. A cylinder filled with that many magnums is an eye-popping sight.

I'm not prescribing .357 as an ideal blackbear round, but it's fine if they're rare, and it's the most proven handgun round there is for bad guys. Plus a medium-barreled revolver in .357 is a lot easier to pack than a .44 or .45lc.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Not to throw a monkey wrench in all of this, but if the main concerns are the rare blackbear and 2-legged crazies, then .357 might suffice. It's what I carry when I hike around western Washington. My current gun of choice is a Ruger SP101, but I've thought of picking up an L or N framed Smith & Wesson because of their 7 and 8 shot capacities. A cylinder filled with that many magnums is an eye-popping sight.

I'm not prescribing .357 as an ideal blackbear round, but it's fine if they're rare, and it's the most proven handgun round there is for bad guys. Plus a medium-barreled revolver in .357 is a lot easier to pack than a .44 or .45lc.
    Good point.

Just like a 44 Mag. is not the ideal Grizzly round, but a Mack Truck isn't handy enough to be practical, in a some situations.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If going with smaller rounds you might just as well go semi auto and have 18 rounds,beats 7 every time if you miss on the first shot.

45 Long Colt is fine for the Outback.

But for the Bush you need a 44 magnum.

I own several Lee-Enfields (love those rifles!) and occasionally hang out on the Gunboards Lee-Enfield forum, so I must have picked up the term from some of the Aussie's over there. The term just kinda fits for everything "beyond" if you ask me.

As for caliber, I've just always gotten that warm and fuzzy feeling for anything that included 4 & 5 in it's name, once I shot my first 1911. And the lower pressure thing is one reason why I really like the 45ACP. High pressure is fine as long as it's in a rifle, as far as I'm concerned.

Now scraping up the $, that's the tough part. Guess I'll have to take my 4 year old out of preschool for a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Planning on getting my first revolver for the Outback. Seems .44 Magnum is far more popular than .45 Colt. Reasons? I'm looking at either a Ruger Super Blackhawk or a Redhawk. Opinions are welcome!
    I think .44 is the best choice. If you are going to carry it often the lighter the better, up to a point.

Let's say I go with the Ruger Redhawk 4". Why do you prefer it in .44Mag over .45Colt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast