Thread: Gundogs and cats

Default Gundogs and cats

Anyone have experience raising a gundog that gets along with cats? I'm looking at getting a pointer and I know it may never work perfectly but I have three indoor only cats and I'd like to have the dog inside also.

Thanks, schmidty

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Anyone have experience raising a gundog that gets along with cats? I'm looking at getting a pointer and I know it may never work perfectly but I have three indoor only cats and I'd like to have the dog inside also.

Thanks, schmidty
    LOL my big ol Siamese taught the griff pup early... whooped his but for looking at him when he moved in. now the pup (7month) Wait's for the cat to get buy him... he still wants to play with him but he behaves..it is like introducing any animal into the family. the pop leaves bird alone to..

but that raven in the yard....LOL he almost got caught yesterday, and the gray jays are getting scarce... pup is ALL over them when he goes out. he has caught and killed 4 squirrels also. but family is family..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm with Vince. You just need to introduce them properly. Set some boundaries. The boundary would be "don't harass the cat" Same with any other pet animal. Proper introduction and keep the dog calm while around the new pet.

We have 2 cats in our home with a rotating basis of about 20 dogs. Depending on who is in for training or boarding.

If the dog comes in as a pup, it shouldn't be a problem at all. An older dog just needs to be introduced and trained properly.

Have a golden rtvr, a little dog, and 2 cats at my place that live in harmony... most of the time. One of the cats will often "groom" the rtvr while he's sleeping. The little dog and the other cat will play chase and wrestle with each other like 2 puppies would. Both of the cats will fetch a thrown ball and bring it right back to you... so I've often wondered if they are really dogs reincarate or if the fact that they've spent their entire lives around dogs has influence them to behave more like the dogs. The rtvr just needs to be reminded that the cats (and the little dog) are to be played with "gently".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thats reassuring guys. I have read that some think the prey drive in the german pointers makes them hard to keep with cats. Not all dogs are the same though. That is one reason I had been really leaning towards the english pointer. I originally wanted a German Wirehaired... then evolved to the german shorthaired, now the pointer.

Do you guys think the breed should be a large consideration if I get a newborn pup?

Thanks, schmidty

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Schmitt, EVERY thing i read and was told was the Griffon's love to eat small animals... including CATS... he does fine... get a pup and let the cat discipline it... and when thing escalate YOU exert your dominate role and chastise both. but the cat will train the puppy to leave it alone... and soon they will play when the cat says so.. mine do.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

not a pointer but...