View Poll Results: Should F&G eliminate the discounted hunting license for low income residents?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes eliminate it now.

52 49.06%
  • No, don't eliminate it now.

54 50.94%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low-income hunting licenses are a good or bad idea?

Question Low-income hunting licenses are a good or bad idea?

Are today's discount below 25 bucks for low-income hunters, for a yearly resident hunting license from F&G a bad idea and they should be stopped?

Default Pretty Darned foolish...

to eliminate this program when the rest of the nation is in a financial meltdown & now that heating oil prices are continuing to stay well above national averages from summer fuel barge deliveries, to cut off low income licenses...

All you need is Love.

Question another option

I voted to keep it but would have voted the option of keep it with better regulation of those who can purchase or the purchase proceedures. I hear of waaayyyyy too many people getting the low income license and financially making WELL OVER the max income for one. By the way, if I know for a fact that someone has done this I contact F&G and let them know. I feel we should keep the program (with said upgrade/s) so those who do need it can still hunt & fish legally.
    Last edited by dandeo2003; 01-27-2009 at 08:14. Reason: add comment

At $25 for a license, they should get rid of the program. If the license fees go up to $50 or $100 as they should, I would be more inclined to support the reduced cost license.

Poll didn't offer enough options for me. I think the low-income license should definitely stay but that it should go up to around $15.

Just my opinion,

i put get rid of it, as other posters have mentioned...25 bucks to see the late show, or 5 for the matine...really? five bucks? might as well just give it out for free and then whats the point.
    We have graveeyyyyyy license costs up here and tags. man have we got it good. I can't believe they haven't or won't up the costs by about tripple. Then have a low cost license be 25 bucks and regular be 75.

Who here wouldn't pay 75 bucks for a license and 10 bucks per harvest ticket?????

like stranger says..."all you need is love"...lol thats all they used in the village i was in!! love and a flashlight!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think the idea is great but agree with Brian, $25 dollars is already cheap for the amount of meat it will allow you to put on your table. It would be interesting to see how much this program costs Fish and Game to implememt and try to enforce. Eliminating the program would simplify matters.

If the regular license cost was to increase I would back the program. Until then, I believe it has little benefit. If they we were to raise the low income license cost to $15 why not just have everyone pay the extra $10 and eliminate yet another potentially problematic state program. If someone is that hard up to feed their family I doubt they are too worried about buying a license anyway, and rightfully so.

I think every man, women , and child should pay. Take it out of the Permanent Fund Dividend, say $75.00 for everything, Hunt if you want or not, trap if you want or not, fish if you want or not, View the fuzzy pretty animals if you want or not.

Save all the cost of selling license's and tracking them, make it simple if you have an Alaska drivers License or a Alaska I.D. Card you have a prepaid hunting, fishing, trapping license.

Also $50.00 animal viewing fee to cross at Beaver Creek, and tax all cruise ship and airline visitors $50.00 to manage the fuzzy animals.....

If people want the game managed in part for viewing they need to pay the game managers.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I hear of waaayyyyy too many people getting the low income license and financially making WELL OVER the max income for one. By the way, if I know for a fact that someone has done this I contact F&G and let them know.
    I'm curious how YOU know for a FACT what someone makes or qualifies for?????

I got off active duty once, got in the reserves and became a Sheriff's Deputy in Texas. Before I got out, I bought a new F-350 Crew Cab XL and paid cash for the truck with money I saved while I was in..

So I'm driving my truck to work day in and day out. Some tool in the Department turns me in for being on the take because there's no way I could afford that truck on my Deputies salary.

I'm blind sided with an IA investigation in to my finances because of owning this truck. It's an XL for god sakes. I get called in off the street and am told to report to IA. I couldn't believe it. I'm told I have to prove how I got the truck and where I got the money from and other financial questions. No problem, I go home, get all the paperwork on the transaction, everything else they are looking for and take it back to IA. I tell IA Detective to tell the jealous weasel that turned me in to mind his own business. I also asked to know who turned me in, but they wouldn't tell me. Which was probably a good thing.

All this because of some busy body saw me driving a new truck to work and thought I couldn't afford it without being on the take.

A couple of years back I had some busy body turn me in for a fishing violation, and when F&G actually showed, I was legal and the do gooder got the ticket for fishing outside of the marker. He's hollering at me that he's calling F&G on his cell phone, you do that I tell him. Do me a favor though, stay right where you are until they get here.

There's something to be said about people minding their own business.

I'd rather see someone with a low income with a license in their pocket than out there poaching. It isn't up to me to decide who qualifies and who doesn't. I'm sure the state does a better job of managing it than I could.

I know some folks out my way that dip not because they want to, it's because they need to. They carpool down and share all the expenses and I'd guess that's the only way they could afford the trip. Their only "crime" in life is that they don't make what some of the rest of us make. They live a thread bare life and I'm sure dipping helps them make it. Why makes these peoples life more difficult?

Ken Marsh at Sport Fish (267-2218) explained to me that;

1. Yes they can go to any vender (but sometimes the vender does not "know" about it)
    2. You have to sign on the back of the license that:
    a. you are under gross of 8200.00, or
    b. you are on a welfare/social program provided either by the State or Federal.
    3. If you are caught and actually do make over, you can be fined and sent to jail.

Look at the back of the license.

Maybe Brian can unlock the other thread now?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

upinak,

Did you ask Ken if being on the HEAT program qualified for low-income license? Before posting any info on that I'd double-check with a few other sources on just what is considered an applicable "welfare/social" program. Since so many people read this forum I wouldn't want to put any misleading info out there as fact...there are plenty of instances of people calling F&G for an opinion, then we find out later it was not correct info.

Edit: addendum...one thing about the Heating Assistance Program is that it only runs from Nov. to April. If you buy a license between May and October, you obviously would not qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    upinak,

Did you ask Ken if being on the HEAT program qualified for low-income license? Before posting any info on that I'd double-check with a few other sources on just what is considered an applicable "welfare/social" program. Since so many people read this forum I wouldn't want to put any misleading info out there as fact...there are plenty of instances of people calling F&G for an opinion, then we find out later it was not correct info.
    No I did not ask about that because it is not relevent.

Anything under 8200.00 is concidered Welfare via the IRS. This does not include Stimulus/PFD money.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

When I got out of high school I got a low income license. I only hunted the road and as far off as I could carry an animal. Most that get the low income license aren't utilizing the system as much as those with higher incomes that can go to more places. I believe it helps bring people into hunting as no one is poor forever. Eventually they will pay more.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default How is it irrelevant upinak?

upinak,

I guess I read you wrong, thought you were trying to confirm whether or not being on the Heating assistance program qualified for low income license. Most everyone on that program makes well above the $8200 gross.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    upinak,

I guess I read you wrong, thought you were trying to confirm whether or not being on the Heating assistance program qualified for low income license. Most everyone on that program makes well above the $8200 gross.
    8200.00 is just welfare. Alaska does not take the PFD nor any Stimulus in account. Not sure why.

IRS will tax you for it though as we all have had the fun reality of it pushing us into a higher tax bracket, depending on the tax bracket.

http://health.hss.state.ak.us/dpa/programs/hap/

This is for the HEAT program in Alaska. It goes on gross income, not net. I could almost qualify as well, yet I don't. Nothing is laid in stone concerning the Goverment when it comes to Assistance. Even Danali Kid Care for your kids, even if you make over 100K, you can get that for your children. Weird isn't it.

upinak,

That is the same link to the heating assistance program I posted too. I know there are a slew of so-called 'social programs' out there. I guess I always thought that being on WIC, Energy Assistance, or even qualifying for Denali Kid Care didn't mean you qualified for the low income hunting license.
    A family of four can get heating assistance during winter months if they make under about 60grand gross per year.

If the state of Alaska considers every single program one can qualify for and receive as making one elibible for low-income license, well I guess I don't feel that is what the original intent of the low-income license was in the first place.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    At $25 for a license, they should get rid of the program. If the license fees go up to $50 or $100 as they should, I would be more inclined to support the reduced cost license.

i suppose we should get rid of the free license for seniors also? lets reinstate the one year resident stat for the military too.. and get rid of any discounts for them.. banish the vets and disables persons licence...

LETS make every one pay because you have to? sorry don't agree, nor do support an increase in fees of any type. Alaska hunting is of a subsistence heritage, just because folks that live in town use it for sport is not reason to make things like they THINK they should be. why is the lowest income people always are the first to foot a bill... 15.00 may not seem like much.. lets raise every ones the same rate and see how they squeal.... 8200.00 buck a year is not squat to live on and you all know it.

HUNTING should be FREE to residents.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I can only call in one instance that seems to be missed here; and that would be to ask How many people are you supporting on that 8,200$?

The average mean income in this Village is 28,000$, with an average of 7 people per houshold. Some more, some less, but theres 13 people in our house and were self employed with the crafts/arts of Hunting/Fishing/Gatherings.

Not that much to go on, in reality.
    Weve applied for Heating assistance, but so many people have, that its still back logged to before Thanksgiving, so nothings comealong that rout, and we may be deniged. At 7.35$ a gallon, that aint gonna go far any way. Gotta get wood, and be warm

Maby the reduced licences should be free to those who need.

How far does your Doller go?

This thread and poll amazes me. Actually, I'm kinda pissed by it.

For the most part, people who probably don't think twice of spending more than $5.00 each morning on their coffee, are weighing in on what they think low income people should be paying for a license or whether they deserve a break on a license or not.

It's pretty arrogant when you have money; to determine what someone that doesn't have money should have to pay for something.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast