Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long until your spouse worries???

Default How long until your spouse worries???

So being newly married and not used to having people worry too much about me while I'm out and if I decide to stay an extra day out at camp it was "no biggie" if I didn't show up a couple days later. So how long do you tell you spouses to wait prior to getting worried with no check ins while out in the field. Granted location, time of year, logistics, and other things are a factor. I'm currently advocating for the 24 hr rule we'll see though.

Ive always preached to my wife while living in Arizona during the weekdays not to call me or start getting worried till an hour after the sun sets.

But living here in Alaska I always tell her and mark it on a map I leave with her where Ill be and my return time back at home.If she does not hear from me by then she better worry.And to remember that she cant file a missing persons report until 24 hours....That alone should make anyone worry.
    Daniel

Smile Extra days...

I always told my wife that my trip was a ten day trip if I expected to be out for eight or nine days.
    The important deal is to start em off young. Start getting away on your extended hunting trips early in your marriage. If you wait a few years, your done hunting. After 30-some years of marriage I'm up to 12 weeks a year out in the bush. I'm aiming for 16 weeks soon.

Dennis, AK TAGS

My wife starts to worry as soon as I bring up the idea of a hunting trip. Once I'm actually on a trip if I don't make it home as planned I know she would freak out unless I give her a call. I always make it a point to call her if the trip runs a bit over. Thankfully I've always been within cell phone reception.

Looking back on my 5 years of marriage I think I should have stood my ground when she disagreed with a particular trip. My attempt to keep the peace led to me staying home more often that I should have. Hindsight is great. I know a few that have been married far longer than my wife and I and they said the wives will eventually tolerate trips that they wouldn't many years earlier.

Default Plan

I always give my wife a list of who I'm with, a map with my planned and backup locations as well as my planned and late return dates. She knows that if we get into good territory or are having luck we'll be out at the planned late return date. I also give her a "be worried if you haven't heard from me by this date" as well. If we get something, we usually wind up back in town at some point and I can give her a call with an update. I've also brought a sat phone several time so I can check in every day, if nothing else than a 30 second, we're safe, I love you call. I figure with as much as the weather can change from morning to night and as dangerous as it can be at times, she has every right to worry about my safety. The best I can do is spend the extra $100 for the piece of mind for both of us in case something happens. If she didn't worry about me or care I wouldn't have married her anyway.

Fuse

Default rent a sat phone

for local trips i always say i'll be home after dark unless i get something....pretty much gave me carte blanche in the summer. for multiple day trips, though, i always gave a location and a return date. each spouse will decide on their own "when" to call a drop off service or send someone to check after that. a big fix has been renting a sat phone. if i call for a 2 minutes each night to say i'm ok then all is great. additionally, if i fill out early and want picked up with the freshest of meat, that's only a sat phone call away, too.

Default tolerate?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Hindsight is great. I know a few that have been married far longer than my wife and I and they said the wives will eventually tolerate trips that they wouldn't many years earlier.
    Tolerate 'em? They'll look forward to them and even suggest them if you've been married long enough. "Honey, isn't hunting season coming up soon?"

[quote
    Looking back on my 5 years of marriage I think I should have stood my ground when she disagreed with a particular trip. My attempt to keep the peace led to me staying home more often that I should have. Hindsight is great. [/quote]

I once changed my wedding date that was all set to go, because I had forgotten
    the date was the opening day of early bear season
    A good woman understands those kinds of IMPORTANT things!

I will call ahead to whereever Im driving to that Im leaving, and by what trail I'll ride.
    Same for boating from town to town.Weve got the average times down pretty good.

In the Winter, hunting is either untill 10 or the usuall 4 days, if Im (Were)taking a sleeping bag and gas.
    I'm either dead or have helped myself after 4 days, and I'll be home that night if not sooner. Spring hunts are as long as the days.

Summer boating is bythe weather, and where Im going. 24 hour sun makes for some long trips and a slow boat home.....Often we sit and wait for the wind to calm, but the wife knows the weather as well, and she know how much gas we leave with ,so if it seems were really behind, she will look for me, or I for her.

#1 rule for being found;
    Stick to the area you plan.

Default SPOT to the rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So being newly married and not used to having people worry too much about me while I'm out and if I decide to stay an extra day out at camp it was "no biggie" if I didn't show up a couple days later. ...
    Buy a SPOT; that's the cheap way out of trouble for both of you.

She get's an OK email message telling her exactly where you are (not in Vegas...) and she knows you've got two other buttons to push that would say if anything other that OK was the situation.

And you get to stay out knowing that you told her where you were and not to worry one bit. (i.e, a get out of trouble free card)

If this doesn't seem like an incredible deal to you now, take another look after a few more years of marriage and I think you'll agree. SPOT!

Default Maybe your missing something?

Just my thoughts.. 1st marriage.. 16 years. Wife never hunted with me... no interest in hunting. Not my wife anymore. Got frustrated with my boys at a young age ie.. talking, moving, joking around etc.. I was way too serious.. now one doesnt hunt, and the other will if I plead and twist his arm alittle.. My fault that they dont hunt...

2nd Marriage 7 years.. Wife is my hunting, fishing, camping, atv'ing and snowmachinin partner.. I have guy friends and we go out every now and then for day trips, but if i'm going out.. my wife and daughter are with me.. a family that plays togeather - stays togeather.. and my daughter is gonna be a hunter! sorry to hear some of you are missing out on that. Dont learn the hard way..

As far as making the wife worry.. Alaska State troopers have what they call "Wilderness Trip Plan" easy to fill out form. For your own safety fill it out. Lists where your headed critical times, modes of transportation. communication plan, POCs etc... if your doing a fly in or a float into wilderness, always tell your life line to expect you two days later. then call the troopers. Of course now you can rent or own a satalite phone or a personal locator beacon - both good investments.

Default sat phone

For a few $'s .... Sat phones are well worth it. They might just save your bacon some day .... as well as all the piece of mind.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So being newly married and not used to having people worry too much about me while I'm out and if I decide to stay an extra day out at camp it was "no biggie" if I didn't show up a couple days later. So how long do you tell you spouses to wait prior to getting worried with no check ins while out in the field. Granted location, time of year, logistics, and other things are a factor. I'm currently advocating for the 24 hr rule we'll see though.

ak lanc..you know it really depends on the women. one wife i had grew up here and hunted with her ex, and knows how Alaska can be, i was never worried about until i met my new one. she is from out of state and most of this is new to her. one year my buddy and i got weathered in. bad wind and snow storm. we could not see to get out and we spent an extra day, by the time we made it out to cell phone range, both wifes were on the Way to Nenana trooper to report us...she was so upset she told me i was never going hunting again.... 1700.00 th next day for sat phone, and all the fixings and things are fine.now i can take the kids for a week or more and call home 2times a day. i have always told them to not worry until day three. but it matters not if they are the type to worry they will regardless of your reassurance.. they need to hear from you. get out your atlas before you go... draw a line where you will be. give them a day to day expectation of your trip. and soon she wont let you in the door with out blood on your clothes.

mine would love to go with me, but we had a baby this year and she is over protective... so stayed home this season... she loves the camping and hunting. so i expect that soon enough the entire family will agin be at it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wow,

My wife.... if I don't call and I'm 20 minutes late, she will call the marines....

Ron

Thumbs up What you spend on a hunting trip is only half the cost.

If you plan on going hunting, if you make the same amount of money available for the wife to take a trip of her own, you'll likely not have issues. It has worked for me for years. I go hunting, she goes to europe for a week with one of her friends, or goes to see friend of hers out of state...anyplace she wants to go and the kids stay home with me. Saves me the pain of having to go look at cathedrals, too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Tolerate 'em? They'll look forward to them and even suggest them if you've been married long enough. "Honey, isn't hunting season coming up soon?"

friend of mine has this sign in his garage..

every day i live with pain and suffering...

every fall i leave her to go hunting
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Wife worries!!

I'm glad I always told my wife to call the Air Taxi on the scheduled pick up day.
    Years ago, a group of 5 of us were gone on an 8 day Black tail hunt on Kodiak.
    Scheduled pick up day came and she called. They said were just discussing how were going to pick them up as we sold the plane we dropped them off with (a Grumman Goose)
    Well. guess what, they hustled and sent a pair of 206 and returned with another one. Glad she gave them a little blasting LOL

Default no need to worry...

My wife enjoys going with me...she usually stays at camp and relaxes, keeps the fire going, cooks, rides her wheeler around, we have 2 way radios just in case, i will check in every so often...i worry more about her when she is by herself at camp...i think i will take our labs this year to bear camp for extra assurance.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Looking back on my 5 years of marriage I think I should have stood my ground when she disagreed with a particular trip. My attempt to keep the peace led to me staying home more often that I should have. Hindsight is great. I know a few that have been married far longer than my wife and I and they said the wives will eventually tolerate trips that they wouldn't many years earlier.
    I know the feeling. It's like pulling teeth to get out on a sled for a day. God forbid I take the Ranger out without her, then I'm askin for it. LOL
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have a great wife. Only one I've ever had (18 yrs so far) or intend to have. Because she loves me she does worry, especially since I do most of my hunting alone. If I'm just day hunting localy I'm in cell phone range, so if I'm not home by a few houirs after dark & no phone call, she'll get concerned. If she calls someone at that point it will probably be a friend, not the troopers & that friend will have a good idea where to look for me (The wife will know where I am on a map, & troopers would be able to find my truck). If I'm out overnighting somewhere & no cellphone service, she'll go 24 hrs before calling anyone. Same rule, a friend that knows tha country 1st & he'll help her decide if he should come looking or they should call the troopers. At this point she will also call her brother, who will probably jump in his 185 & fly over my expected hunting area.
    My wife grew up with a dad & brothers who were in the comercial bush flying business (Dad was also a guide in the late 50s thru 60s) so she understands how things change...
    She did get me a SPOT for my birthday, so we'll see how that works in some of my fovorite places this spring. May give her more peace of mind when I'm hunting alone.
    If I ever find the right hunting partner she'll be pleased.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast