Thread: Fishing Advice

Default Fishing Advice

Hi All

This is my first posting to your popular forum. I am from NewZealand and intend to visit Alaska with my fishing mate for a fishing trip from mid July to mid August. I am located in the southern south island and have extensively fished the south island rivers and lakes for the past 35 years. We have booked a lodge on the Kenai for the fist week and a campervan from Anchorage for 3 weeks. We have done quite a bit of research but would greatly appreciate any advice, tips and locations for a trip of this type. We hope to include a couple of day fly in trips as well.

Welcome Kiwi. PM me your address and I'll send you a Kenai phone book and a 2009 Kenai Visitors Guide if you like. Then if you see something of interest in the guide you can ask more specific questions about guides, lodging, shopping, fishing, or flying. There is also a map and a chart for salmon run timing in there as well. We also have the best place to buy fishing gear in Alaska "Trustworthy Hardware" in Soldotna. Hap

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Monawa Hows it going
    I would love to fish New zealand .We might do a trade. I am a guide in Kenai. I do fly out fishing trips> Not the flying just the guideing. We go where the fish are.. What dates are you Going to be in kenai. If i know when your going to be there i could hook you up with the best fishing at that time. I have alot of film that a friend of mine took in New Zealand of giant rainbows and browns In water three feet deep. Every since then i always wanted to go there. That was 30 years ago is it still that good??
    Lance

I would recomend buying the Milepost and The Highway Angler. Durring that time frame you could go after all five species of salmon, rainbows, dollies, grayling, pike, and maybe even lake trout.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I would get a hold of Kiwi writer Sam Mossman and ask him. He has spend months up here and can provide an unbiased review of the whole area. If you need his email, PM me and I will provide it.

Good luck