Thread: 480 Ruger or 454 Casull

Default 480 Ruger or 454 Casull

I'm looking for a handgun that would be strictly a "oh shoot" kind of gun like a bear coming thru the tent in the middle of the night kinda thing....thinking maybe whatever i get have some work done to it to shorten the barrel to 4" and having a brake put on it

Anyone got any thoughts,comments or opinions about these two calibers

Here's one already cropped and ported on gunbroker in .480 Ruger.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121553484

I've never shot a .454 so unable to comment but own a few .480's and I love the round, accurate and comfortable to shoot with full loads...
    Good Luck

I just bought a Redhawk 45 Colt 4 inch barrel for just what you describe. If a 360gr lead cast 45 won't do it, a 480 or 454 sure won't. I thought about buying a used 480 Ruger and having it chopped but that seemed like a waste of money when I can buy a brand new 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt for $649.00. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I just bought a Redhawk 45 Colt 4 inch barrel for just what you describe. If a 360gr lead cast 45 won't do it, a 480 or 454 sure won't. I thought about buying a used 480 Ruger and having it chopped but that seemed like a waste of money when I can buy a brand new 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt for $649.00. my .02
    Just what he said!

Just curious why you didn't include the .50 for consideration.

Default in anchorage

Where at in Anchorage would be a good place to get the ruger in .45 colt for six fitty? Is that a stainless model?

Default Why all the trouble?

Why not just buy a S&W .500 4"? It has muzzle break already - not just ported - and ammo is easier to find than a .480 and it has considerably more power than a .454. Weight is about the same if you plan to carry it much. By the time you buy a gun and have it chopped and ported the cost is about the same also.

Quote Originally Posted by KodMan213 View Post
    I'm looking for a handgun that would be strictly a "oh shoot" kind of gun like a bear coming thru the tent in the middle of the night kinda thing....thinking maybe whatever i get have some work done to it to shorten the barrel to 4" and having a brake put on it

Anyone got any thoughts,comments or opinions about these two calibers
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default msrp

The msrp on ruger's website is 861.00. I will go get one tonight if I can find one in town for 650. It has great reviews.

Walmart here in Fairbanks is only place in town that would order one for me, $649.00. They only show the 4 inch 44 mag in the catalog but they called the supplier and they carry them in 45 Colt. The catalog was just an old one. They were backordered last week but expecting them any day. SW here has the 4 inch 44 mag for $719, wallyworld sells them for 619.

Default Thanks

Cool - Thanks. I will stop by Walmart - as much as I hate going there...........

Default 454 Alaskan

Hey, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, but that's what I carry out on any hike and back-up for any hunt.

2 1/2 inch barrel in .454 casull. You can get it in .480 which I hear doesn't recoil as badly, but honestly, I've fired several hundred rounds out of this in the past year or so that I've owned it, not as bad as some make it to be.

Also, I always load with Buffalo Bore 360 gr. Hardcast -- (L.W.N.G.C. (1425 fps / M.E. 1623 ft. lbs.) (Big game up to 2000 lbs.) is more than sufficient than anything else, and for $650 (It can be found that low) It's a screaming deal.

I don't see any need for anything bigger like the .500 S&W, that cost near and over a grand!

Default .500 s&w

There are plenty of used S&W 4" .500s around and they are already ported. I got mine slightly used for about the same price as the Ruger you quoted - $650 or so. .500 Ammo is much easier to find than the .480 stuff and the S&W is a nicer machined firearm if that means anything to the owner. If you are going to carry a heavy bulky gun like the Super Redhawk or the S&W X frame you might as well go for all the protection you can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    Hey, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, but that's what I carry out on any hike and back-up for any hunt.

2 1/2 inch barrel in .454 casull. You can get it in .480 which I hear doesn't recoil as badly, but honestly, I've fired several hundred rounds out of this in the past year or so that I've owned it, not as bad as some make it to be.

Also, I always load with Buffalo Bore 360 gr. Hardcast -- (L.W.N.G.C. (1425 fps / M.E. 1623 ft. lbs.) (Big game up to 2000 lbs.) is more than sufficient than anything else, and for $650 (It can be found that low) It's a screaming deal.

I don't see any need for anything bigger like the .500 S&W, that cost near and over a grand!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If a Bear encounter goes bad, most likely I will only get one shot, and I want it to be the biggest and heaviest and pack as much punch as possible. When they make one bigger then the 500, I'll trade mine in.

Another thing to consider is a really good first aid kit. Ours is custom and among the standard stuff we have Quikclot and suture kits.

Default alaskan

The .454 alaskan was a nice pistol. I did like the redhawk better myself though - as did my wife. Something about that tiny barrel - but it was smoother on the trigger pull both single and double. It was 100$ higher in cost than the redhawk...perhaps worth it....

I bought a Ruger Alaskan .454 for my carry gun when fishing. I love it! I also bought a simply rugged holster for it and that is a truly great holster!

Default Amen!

I agree - follow up shots etc. are rarely an issue. Hitting you target with as much force as possible on the first shot is the real goal. If I can get one good shot off with as much accuracy as possible I can't ask for much more.

I don't know what we can ask for better than the .500 S&W that is reasonable to carry. I think the law is that you can't make anything larger than .50 cal without it being a destructive device. If anything larger is possible I'll have a single shot .577 Nitro Express pistol built

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    If a Bear encounter goes bad, most likely I will only get one shot, and I want it to be the biggest and heaviest and pack as much punch as possible. When they make one bigger then the 500, I'll trade mine in.

Another thing to consider is a really good first aid kit. Ours is custom and among the standard stuff we have Quikclot and suture kits.