Thread: A little advice!!

Default A little advice!!

So I have been thinking of moving to your state for some time now just for a change in my life and would like to get a little advice. So hear it goes I live in a small town in upstate ny right on lake Ontario, so cold weather, wind, and snow do not bother me at all. I have worked in different types of construction for 10 years with the last few being in pipeline construction, and have helped out on friends farms during the winters when I was not working. I also have a USCG 50 ton masters lic, and worked on charter boats through highschool and college. I like to hunt, fish, dog train, ride atvís and snow sled in my spare time. My questions are what is the job market like, what would an out of stater be treated like and what are some good places to look at.

Well not many farms so lets go with boats or pipelines.Boats you need the coast and pipeline today you are talking interior and looks like heading to Haines in whick case you have coast and pipeline comming.Anyone willing to work is welcome if willing to learn the Alaska way of doing it.Check with the folks putting in the new pipeline or look to working with the comercial fishing folks.Then again you can at times just show up anywhere and fine a whole new line of work you like.Main thing is if you say you will work prove it.

Maybe you should consider something like:
    http://www.crowley.com/careers/default.asp

I agree with Amigo Will that there is definitely an 'Alaskan' way of doing things up here.

I came up with a city-like approach and let me tell you, people don't really appreciate that up here. I had to retrain and redevelop my whole approach on everything, even the way that I communicate because I tend to be a little straight-to-the-point and some times people (especially if you are not from the city) people don't know how to respond to that.

I do have to admit, though, that the ecomony in the Lower 48 is starting to trickle up here in Alaska. We are now starting to see some of the aftershocks of what's going on down there. The ecomony is incredibly stable up here in comparison to down there. I feel like I personally know people left and right getting laid off for one reason or another because of what's going on in the economy down there, but up here, I only know a handful of people that have been directly affected because of budget cuts or oil prices lowering.

My response would be to come to Alaska and come prepared to work. If an employer knows that you are ready to rock and roll and start working immediately, then you should be able to start somewhere pretty quickly.

As a side note, one thing is for sure. Word of mouth spreads fast in Alaska and the so and so of the brother that knows someone to is married to so and so will most likely get the job before you do. It's about who you know. Don't get upset about that... it's just the way of the 'game' up here. You'll have your chance, even if that means you have to work yourself from the bottom up. Once you prove yourself and make a name for yourself, you'll be able to take that good name and reputation anywhere you go in this state.

Hang in there! The best is yet to come. This state has many amazing attributes to it. You'll see once you make it up here!
    Lurker.

Default lesser jobs

Come with an attitude that ANY job will do for a start. Don't expect to get the "perfect" job right off the bat, though I'm not saying it can't happen. When we moved here, I took a day to rest(we drove non-stop from Washington state,made it in 2 days and 3hrs,with a 6yr old). The next day I began the job search. I applied anywhere and everywhere that I could meet the minimum requirements including, but not limited to, fast food spots. Had my first interview the next day and was hired the next. I started at a tire shop as a tire changer. Within 6 months I became the head allignment tech and could do any job in the shop(and was asked to). After a year and 2 months I became a school bus driver and over 9yrs worked my way up to management. I left that job last year, due to health and other things and started in construction & maintenance. In just 1 yr I have become the lead for my employer and now she is getting me into the estimate and contracting part of the job(nice raise too). It is taking me awhile to get where I want(self employed) but I'm getting close. The biggest part of my personal success is to be ready to take any work, no matter how menial it seems, and do the best I can at it. Come with this type attitude and you will do well.

dandeo2003 where in alaska did you make it in 2 days 3 hours?

Default Left Silverdale Washington

on Saturday at 10AM, arrived Eagle River Alsaka on Monday 1PM. The only stopping enroute was to refuel the van, made use of camping TP n a shovel, packed food and drinks for the trip in a cooler. Wife and I would trade off between napping and driving. Our son kept himself busy with camera, books, drawings, snacks, and naps. The amazing part - he only asked 1 time if we were there yet and that was crossing the Palmer Hay Flats.

2 days from washington, sweet. I'm about to make the drive to anchorage from austin here in about 6-9 months. just after I get out of this god forsaken country.

Quote Originally Posted by ontariowaves View Post
    So I have been thinking of moving to your state for some time now just for a change in my life and would like to get a little advice. So hear it goes I live in a small town in upstate ny right on lake Ontario, so cold weather, wind, and snow do not bother me at all. I have worked in different types of construction for 10 years with the last few being in pipeline construction, and have helped out on friends farms during the winters when I was not working. I also have a USCG 50 ton masters lic, and worked on charter boats through highschool and college. I like to hunt, fish, dog train, ride atvís and snow sled in my spare time. My questions are what is the job market like, what would an out of stater be treated like and what are some good places to look at.
    Here's place to start a search, hope it helps.

http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/

Quote Originally Posted by rred View Post
    2 days from washington, sweet. I'm about to make the drive to anchorage from austin here in about 6-9 months. just after I get out of this god forsaken country.
    On the other end of the spectrum, it took us 10 days from California. Our son was 7 m/o so needed frequent breaks for diapers and feeding, and the small trailer our friend was pulling had 7 flat tires, a bent axle and bent the front of the tonque so took 1 1/2 days to repair it in Dawson Creek, that was before the start of the alcan.

Just plan on averaging 50mph through Canada and Alaska as some sections of road are rough, there will be construction delays and it is a long drive.

Default Jobs in AK

There are very few new openings in the pipeline/ oilfield construction right now, primarily because of the low oil prices. If you do decide to move and stay in Alaska there may be openings, if and when the gas pipeline from the Northslope is constructed. You may have an advantage if you are a resident when the construction begins, but I would contact the Plumbers/Pipefitters Union and check on the possibility of joining. There is always some work available in the farming industry during haying season, but you have to network and know who to ask and where to go. The farm work is extremely limited as most operations are family oriented and usually have enough help for day to day operations. You may find work for 4-6 weeks on a part time basis helping with baling hay. The haying operation in Alaska is highly dependant apon weather, so you may have work for a day or two then have a week off. The pay is poor (maybe 10-12 dollars/hr) so you will probably want to look elsewhere for employment. The primary farming areas are in the Palmer/Wasilla Valley area and around Delta Junction. There are some farms around Fairbanks, Kenny Lake, and the Talkeetna/Trapper Creek areas, but they are generally smaller operations.

The construction industry for the past 15 years has been very good in Alaska, but I expect that will change in the next few years. The housing slump in Alaska has not been as bad as the lower 48, but the real estate market has become more and more of a buyers market. I expect that we will see a decline in demand for new housing. The Commercial construction looks OK yet for this summer, but there will probably be a decline in funds available fom federal sources. Ted Stevens was the head chair in the Transportation comittee and is no longer our senator. Time will tell what our new jr senator is able to do. Military spending will probably also decrease, as bail out legislation and the on going war effort will inevitably cause belt tightning for new projects. I hope I'm wrong but we may be in for some tough times up here in AK too! I am not able to comment on the fishing industry or the economy in the South-East. As a general rule if you have a good work ethic and are willing to work hard you will be able to find a job, it just may not be the exact position you want. Good luck in your job search.

akfarmer

Greetings
    I recently relocated to ANC and I strongly recommend having a job before you move up. The upfront costs are considerable and your on-going costs (food, gas, home energy etc.) are greater then in NY. You will save in other areas for instance there is no state income tax (but you obviously have to have an income for this to apply) and no sales tax in some Alaskan cities (not all). That said I really like it here and Iím very happy that we made the move. Alaska is a great place to live and work!

Try this job search engine; it polls all the major job boards: www.indeed.com

If you have specific questions shoot me a PM.