Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Photo albums

  1. #1

    Default Photo albums

    Awhile back, alaskachuck had problems with editing his photo albums, and I think I remember the mods saying there was a file size limit of the photo(s) that can be added to the album(s).

    I've searched, but can't find the post.

  2. #2
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    I cannot find the place to upload my photos now. It is not a size issue. I finally stopped trying. I will give it a shot again soon. I could create the album but was never getting the upload pics thing. I have made enough albums so i am lost
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I cannot find the place to upload my photos now. It is not a size issue. I finally stopped trying. I will give it a shot again soon. I could create the album but was never getting the upload pics thing. I have made enough albums so i am lost
    I knew it wasn't a size issue, but I thought, key word being thought, Brian said somewhere during the thread that there was a limit on the actual size of the files or maybe the albums(?). I checked the FAQ's and searched for more on the albums, but I can't find anything. I didn't want to try to download something in to the album that was to large, waiting for it to download and then have it time out or fail due to the size.

    I'm getting pictures to download, but some of them are morphing themselves in to super sized versions of what I've got saved on my computer. And I can't figure that one out.

  4. #4
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Now i went and looked and there is the album and the photos. I need to quit drinking or working so much. I for the life of me tried to load the winter solstice photos for so long and could never do it. Now it is like poof they are there. I hate being blonde
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Now i went and looked and there is the album and the photos. I need to quit drinking or working so much. I for the life of me tried to load the winter solstice photos for so long and could never do it. Now it is like poof they are there. I hate being blonde
    Looking at my own albums, some of the pics in the Fishing albums super sized themselves, and the entire Iraq albums pictures downloaded so far have super sized themselves.

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    I'm actually not very familiar with the details of the photo album feature. I'll try to learn what I can, but at this point I'm not much help.

  7. #7
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    This is the closest Thread I can find, to my question so I'll resurrect it, bit different problem than the previous discussion:

    Trying to upload pics to my Albums, I tried going to Photobucket and copy/pasting the URL and it came back as "invalid file"
    Yet, these are "bucket photos" that are in use now on threads I have recently done. So any ideas why I can't upload them to files on my page?

    So, I went to uploading them from my computer, not fun, cause they're not as organized as the "Bucket ones" that have already been sorted for threads here, and some of them come up with a little reject, red circle with x or something, these also are already in use in threads via photobucket, yet can't get them from my computer to my albums

    Ideas? Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Even with the new site update you can upload photos from your C: drive or wherever. Pasting a URL won't do anything, the [IMG] code works for posts in threads but not in an album. I had a hard time finding the add button when you click upload, its at the top right of the pop-up window. Good luck.

  9. #9
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Thanks for the reply, yep, that's what I've found works, uploading from my computers My Pictures File, works fine, but I was soooo hoping to be able to paste from my Photobucket site where I've organized ones to use for threads,
    it does seem they give you that option,on the "ad button" to paste a URL but I can't make it work, oh well
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks for the reply, yep, that's what I've found works, uploading from my computers My Pictures File, works fine, but I was soooo hoping to be able to paste from my Photobucket site where I've organized ones to use for threads,
    it does seem they give you that option,on the "ad button" to paste a URL but I can't make it work, oh well

    copy the URP from the bucket... and type... [img]-[/img] out by hand; and paste the URL in between them.. don't use the quick link( remove the - i put that there to hold the HTML)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Thanks for the help, I tried this Vince, but found that the link I am copying to paste, does already include these [img]'s you mention.
    After clicking on "Ad photos" and choosing to add from a webpage, I'm going to photobucket, hitting on the photo, going to the URL, the botttom option for that photo and copying, an example looks like this:




    and getting the message from the webpage, that it is "an invalid." Yet it works here?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default album pics must be uploaded to this site?

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks for the help, I tried this Vince, but found that the link I am copying to paste, does already include these [img]'s you mention.
    After clicking on "Ad photos" and choosing to add from a webpage, I'm going to photobucket, hitting on the photo, going to the URL, the botttom option for that photo and copying, an example looks like this:
    I think you're going to have to wait to hear from a mod on here, but my best guess is that album pics must be actually uploaded to this site rather than referenced from afar (photobucket for example) with the IMG code.

    Just a guess.

    Mods? Want to come straighten this out?

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I think you're going to have to wait to hear from a mod on here, but my best guess is that album pics must be actually uploaded to this site rather than referenced from afar (photobucket for example) with the IMG code.

    Just a guess.

    Mods? Want to come straighten this out?
    Sorry about the delay on this - I somehow missed this thread. Anyhow, FM is correct on this (as far as I know). I have not yet found a way to reference album pictures to photos hosted elsewhere. While I greatly prefer offsite picture hosting for posting in threads, it doesn't appear to be an option for individual albums.

  14. #14
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Thanks Brian, I went that way and got some Albums created, took a while, reached my max pretty quickly

    another question, I guess as there is a limited amount of photos that can be uploaded. Seems pretty tightly limited,

    is there a chance in the future that Albums can be linked to an offsite Album? Just curious
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sorry about the delay on this - I somehow missed this thread. Anyhow, FM is correct on this (as far as I know). I have not yet found a way to reference album pictures to photos hosted elsewhere. While I greatly prefer offsite picture hosting for posting in threads, it doesn't appear to be an option for individual albums.
    if i am understanding this correctly... that when we did the new server upgrade all the hosted photos in our albums became attachments similar to those posted under the manage attachment links and down loaded directly from my computer... those attachments can only be used in one spot. I think.. ( THINK ) the new forum ware is seeing those stored photos as that kind of attachment now and not letting us reuse them????? nor will it allow me to add additional ones.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Not quite, Vince. You can reuse the images stored in your album, but you can't re-upload them as new attachments. (I'm not sure why you'd want to, anyhow.) If you click on the thumbnail in your album in order to see the full sized picture, underneath the photo it provides you with the BB code and the picture URL. Cut and paste that BB code right into the body of a post and your picture will show up in whatever thread you'd like. There's no need to re-attach it, to hit the "go advanced" button, or anything of the sort.

    As for storage limitations, I'm still looking into some of the issues we're experiencing. I would recommend that file sizes are reduced when posting here, though. I know that I need to go in and delete some of my photos and re-post them, as when I click on my album photos they come out absolutely HUGE. I'm sure they're taking up way more storage space than necessary.

    As for whether albums could be linked to off-site storage in the future, that's a great idea, but I'm fairly certain that is beyond our capabilities. We have to work within the framework of the vBulletin software, and I'm not aware of a way to make such an album within those confines.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •