Thread: "Hiking Trailer"

Lightbulb "Hiking Trailer"

Has anyone on the forum ever saw a commercially made "hiking trailer". I am looking for something similar to a bike trailor, that I could harness to myself, connect to a backpack, or tow like an oriental rickshaw. This devise would be used for transporting 100 to 150 pounds of gear on a level jeep trail, when in a controlled-use-area.
    Stop laughing....

Have any of you ever used anything like this? ...saw anthing like this?
    Thanks...

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Well, there was this silly person who packed many caribou out of the very back of Windy Creek, in The Clearwater Control use Area. He used a wheel barrel.

What about those gardening carts with two bike wheels.

A buddy of mine welded up a kids bike frame that would attach to his external frame pack to help me pack out a couple caribou I shot about 5 miles off the road on a wheeler trail. It worked very well as we loaded him up with 150+ lbs and it wasn't too heavy as a lot of the weight was transferred from the back to the wheel on the ground.

Works great on a trail not so much on the open tundra. Also one thing he learned from the trial run was to put the hand brake back on as its VERY nice to be able to lock up that tire with 150#s of 'bou chasing in the trailer down the hill. Wish I had pics, but it was very effective for packin' wheeler trails.

My buddy and I made a couple for a DCUA walkin a few years ago. On certain terrain they were great. Especially coming out with two rams and packs. It's tough work though dragging one unless it flat and hard. Slower going too. If I were to do it again though I would definitely put a brake on it. going downhill will 150+ pounds pushing you can get very interesting! We pulled them behind bikes for a ways then drug em behind us. Here's a few pics of ours. DCUA 2006

Thumbs up Thx

Thanks, Snyd...
    Your trailers look great. That exactly what i envisioned. Any others out there???
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

I saw a commercial version in the back of one of my canoe magazines. I will have to go look for it, but they do make and market a wheeled backback like what you are talking about.

Smile Thx

Thanks... to those who responded. I got some great ideas from you to help me solve my issue.
    Dennis

Default a link

Dennis,

Here's a link to a commercially sold hiking trailer that you may find useful...if nothing else you could probably build something similar without too much trouble. The gal modeling the trailer kinda looks like Angelina Jolie....

Good luck.

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/3327.html

Default my type....

Austin,
    That looks like just my type of trailer. Ahhh, thats what Im lookin for. The trailer. The second, lower on the page, trailer...
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Dennis,

Here's a link to a commercially sold hiking trailer that you may find useful...if nothing else you could probably build something similar without too much trouble. The gal modeling the trailer kinda looks like Angelina Jolie....

Good luck.

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/3327.html
    Pretty cool. Even a ski attachment for winter!
    Would be great on canoe trips in the Kenai Canoe system if it were legal (no wheels in wilderness area). Be able to portage the canoe while towing my pack!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Cabela's

There are some carts in the Cabela's catalog as well. You could probably rig these up to a waistbelt. I think they sell them at the warehouse as well.

If you aren't going to buy one, perhaps you can get an idea of what you want and build your own.

Default Re: Cabela's game carts

A friend and I bought one of these game carts from Cabela's for the Kenai Mtns caribou hunt a few years back. I would not recommend them, as it was very unstable and difficult to push / pull through the muck on the trail. The wheel diameter was too small too - very bumpy ride...

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0005601.shtml

Default Carts

When I was up the Gerstle River in the DCUA last fall, someone had pulled one clear up past July Creek. I could see the tracks in the sand. I could only imagine how difficult that would have been especially over the river bar with all those rocks. Not something I would do, but interesting. I used one once in a fly in area for moose. While you might think it is something that seems easy, it was MUCH more work than just throwing it in the pack and walking. I could see where they may be handy on even flat ground, but I haven't seen too many places in AK like that!

Thumbs up Northway...

Northway,

The cart idea is for the jeep trail-4 wheeler trails within the DCUA.
    If I do not draw a DCUA client-hunter, I plan on doing a personal hunt where you and I huntered so successfully so many times in the past. Lets not mention that the four of us took about 40 (or more) full curl rams out of there over the years. Clearly you were over-shooting the resource. But I wasn't.

Later....Dennis

Carts and bicycles in DCUA. Been there done that, we got there carts close to Bradford creek and stashed them, packed after that. It's a lot of work at times but not so bad at others. Depends on the load and ground. Terra-firma with a heavy load of your pack a ram and horns is really nice. No way to pack all of that at the same time on your back. Soft tore up ground is more tricky but it still beats multiple trips to get your ram and gear out. Bicycles with carts on hard ground after 12 days of humping is pure heaven!!

Going in with homemade carts

Coming out

Default Synd,

Kudu's too you. There is no way I would do what you did. I have done many sheep hunts and if it can't fit in my pack, it isn't going. I've walked out of some "nasty" areas with some serious weight. I can surely see after being on the trail you were on, where the carts could have been beneficial in places.

Dennis, I figured you were interested in what Snyd posted and for that area. We may be there where your talking about or not. Depends on drawing permits and another plan that we have. I "hate" over shooting an area like you have, but seems to have worked out over the years!