Thread: need partner for sheep hunting

Default need partner for sheep hunting

Hey folks,

I have exhausted all my usual hunting partners, as well as some new ones, and I can't find anyone ate-up enough to go sheep hunting with me. So I am advertising on here. If I don't draw DCUA or Tok, I'm planning to fly into somewhere in the Wrangells, though I'm not stuck on that idea if you'd prefer somewhere else. I'm thinking 7-10 days max. I have all the gear (and will likely upgrade some items). I'm in decent shape and have been sheep hunting a few times before (helped a buddy get one but never got one myself). I also have a pretty good grasp on basic survival techniques (hopefully that won't be needed). I'm not looking for a B&C ram, just a legal ram with some tasty backstraps. I am an AK resident also. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Default Interested

You can PM me more info, but am definately interested. Were do you live? I live in Eagle River, but am doing time on the Slope at the moment. I've been looking for a partner for a while.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Those sheep look like they can stick like glue to the rocks in your avatar.

Default pm sent

Interested. sent a pm

I sent you a PM and am not sure if you received it. If you are still looking for someone, PM me. I live in North Pole.

I sent several PMs. Now if they would only tell us the draw results!

Default Sheep partner

Interesting you have gotten a few PM's already, its hard to find a true faithful sheep hunting partner, especially someone you haven't really gotten to know well. When it comes to sheep hunting , people here are tight-lipped about everything, and very reserved from the vibes I have gotten in the past years, everytime I get someone who wants to go they tend to back out at the last minute ( mainly due to logistics, and the expense) so when I planned my hunt this past season (2008) I did alot of research, my hunting partner was my son,and we flew deep into the remote back country of the Brooks. Yes, I got a nice Ram, and my son got his Griz ( which he wanted more than a dall ram) but now everybody and their brother wants to go (with me) or want some vital intel on areas. I do think about solo hunts and have done some, but I don't think its worth the risk, however, I might try it again someday.

Default Hoosier,

did I meet you and your partner up the Gerstle last fall? You were looking for a set of horns that you had found earlier?

Northway, that was us up the Gerstle, having fun trying to cross it. My partner from that trip will be in Iraq this coming season, hence my search for a new partner.

Kahahawai, I'm definitely not trying to steal anyone's secret spots or anything like that. I'm doing my own research (good or bad) and am willing to strike out if my research doesn't pan out. I'm just looking for a partner for the safety aspect, as you mentioned. I've done a solo hunt and I wasn't willing to push myself that extra mile that is often needed to be successful simply because of the safety aspect.

Default no luck on the draw...

so the Wrangells it is. I will dive head first into the research now. Still haven't heard from the bio, so I will call ASAP next week. I will also start looking into flying services.

I'm interested; will send a PM.

Default I am looking also.

I will also be looking for a partner. Have you found one yet?

I would talk with McCarthy air (Gary). I will also be going into the Wrangells and I have two spots in mind. One I have hunted twice and the other have always wanted to hunt and I think this is the year.

Anyway, let me know if you found someone.

Troy

Default sheep

Troy,
    Sent ya a PM.

Casey

Troy,
    I sent you a PM. Look forward to hearing from you.

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Northway, that was us up the Gerstle, having fun trying to cross it. My partner from that trip will be in Iraq this coming season, hence my search for a new partner.

Kahahawai, I'm definitely not trying to steal anyone's secret spots or anything like that. I'm doing my own research (good or bad) and am willing to strike out if my research doesn't pan out. I'm just looking for a partner for the safety aspect, as you mentioned. I've done a solo hunt and I wasn't willing to push myself that extra mile that is often needed to be successful simply because of the safety aspect.

....Yeah, I hunted at the head of the Gerstle Glacier last season...
    -nice hike in,eh? (a tad better than the float-out-from-h*ll in the Zodiac, coming out -lol-)

....any ideas who the yahoos were that were sighting their rifles in right at the confluence of the Gerstle and July Creek, on the afternoon of AUG 9th??

-we had to duck, as we crossed July Creek...

.....Anyway....-good luck with your season this year....
    -and yes, a good dependable hunting partner is a cherished asset...
    (I feel fortunate to have one)...

-wishing you success!

Default Hunting partner

Am interested in finding a partner as well. New to Alaska, and sheep hunting but an avid hunter. Have been doing a lot of research on sheep hunting and very anxious to get started. But, I drew a goat tag this year. PM me if interested.

Hey, all. Thanks for the interest, but I'm planning to go with Mr. Grayling. Now to start making all the arrangements...

Default Let's try this again

Looks like Grayling won't be able to make it after all. Anyone still interested? I have everything set up already. Will be flying into the north Wrangells with Copper Valley Air, 9-18 Aug. PM me for more details.

Thanks, all.

Default forgot to mention...

Due to limited space in the PM box, I no longer have the original PMs everyone sent me. Please let me know if interested, as I really don't want to cancel the trip.

Default No one?

I NEED to go sheep hunting I will go solo if I have to, but would prefer a partner. Is there no one out there who will help a fellow addict out? Also, at this point, I am open to other ideas also, such as ATV in, boat in, walk in, etc. As long as I'm chasing the white things...

Only requirement I have is the timeframe must be 9-18 Aug or thereabouts, as I've already bought my plane tickets to AK. Don't worry, I am a resident, just stationed in the lower 48 currently.

Thanks,
    c04hoosier