Thread: Polaris chain removal

Default Polaris chain removal

Anyone ever taken the drive chains off an older sportsman? (95 400)

I got the retainer off the master link and I can't drive the link out - any tips?

One other thing - I'm removing the rear swing arm for new bushings, but I'm having a hard time getting the right hand bolt off, do you have to pull the rear brake rotor?

thanks

I did a little work on one for a friend one time. The chain is loosened by loosening the two trailer hitch bolts and then you rotate the rear axle with a channel lock. The rear axle is set up on a cam that loosens and tightens the chain. I'd assume that once the chain has slack in it that you can tap the link out of the chain with no problem for removal. I never did anything with the swing arm.

Default polaris

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Anyone ever taken the drive chains off an older sportsman? (95 400)

I got the retainer off the master link and I can't drive the link out - any tips?

One other thing - I'm removing the rear swing arm for new bushings, but I'm having a hard time getting the right hand bolt off, do you have to pull the rear brake rotor?

thanks
    make sure your chain is loose, it will make it easier to "brake" the chain. I believe it's o-ring chain, probably around a 40 or 50 size. maybe spray with a loosing compound like wd-40,etc. If I remember correctly, pull the brake caliper off, then you can get right at the rotor. make sure and check out your sprocket while your there and replace if worn. good luck..

Yeah the repair manual shows loosening some pinch bolts, but this one doesn't seem to have the same set up as shown

I did finally get it off after I pulled the rear brake rotor and was able to get the right hand bolt out of the swingarm mount then I was able to get enough slack in the chain to get it up against something so I could drive the link out.

Thanks for the tips!