Thread: Savage 99c bulge in barrel

Default Savage 99c bulge in barrel

Years ago i was gifted a Savage 99c which my Grandmother used on the farm and trapline. It has a slight bulge in the barrel about 1.5" back from the muzzle and it still has always shot an honest 1.5" group for me and i have also taken a few whitetails with it. Safety wise should i lob off the barrel getting rid of the bulge or not worry about it as it has always perform decently for me???
    Last edited by Win94; 01-26-2009 at 14:05. Reason: grammer

I would take it off at least a inch back from the bulge but thats me. The steel has been destressed some but may last forever but why take a change. A bulge can be removed from a shotgun barrel ( I wouldn't do it) but the operating pressure is much less than a rifle.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I respectfully disagree with Amigo Will; I think if it shoots good and the esthetics of a bulged barrel don’t bother you, then keep on keeping on! That far down the barrel and the pressures should be comparatively low. This kind of bulge, buy the way, is rather common when the end of the barrel gets plugged with ice and is then fired. I would guess it is better than 50/50 odds that this is what happened to your rifle. I will offer this one caveat though….. clean and dry the out side of the barrel really well with alcohol then swab down the inside of the barrel a few inches on either side of the bulge with kroil or WD-40. Heat the barrel with a hair dryer until very warm to the touch. Now sprinkle flour or baby powder all around the bulge on the outside of the barrel. If there are any significant cracks that go thru to the bore, then the flour will stick to the oil that has wicked out of the cracks. If it is cracked I would recommend cutting the barrel back.

The bummer of the deal is the front sight on those old Savage 99’s are integral with the barrel and you will have to go with a aftermarket type. Wont look the same, but will be functional.

I guess the chambering of the rifle would also have an effect on my decision. If it’s a 303 savage or a 30/30 and not cracked, no big deal in my opinion. But if it’s a 300 Savage or 308 I may be more hesitant as they operate a significantly higher pressure than the older cartridges.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Years ago i was gifted a Savage 99c which my Grandmother used on the farm and trapline. It has a slight bulge in the barrel about 1.5" back from the muzzle and it still has always shot an honest 1.5" group for me and i have also taken a few whitetails with it. Safety wise should i lob off the barrel getting rid of the bulge or not worry about it as it has always perform decently for me???
    Sounds as though you already test fired it---- repeatedly!

I'd be reluctant to try hot loads in it as a matter of principal. As a bit of heritage, I'd leave it as it is, but hunt with it only occasionally and out of sentiment. It would sure mean a bunch if you could dredge up the story behind the bulge. I have absolutely no idea about metal fatigue and such, however, and would defer immediately to a really knowledgeable gunsmith.

Thanks for the replies i really apprecite it. Alangaq it is a .308 Brownbear i used it for two hunting seasons then one day while running a pastch down it is when i noticed it. This bulge could be well over 50 years old for all i know and has never caused anyone problems. I just got a little worried after i found it. At the point of me finding it, i probably had 50 rounds down the pipe already. So in my mind i am thinking all is well but i still have this worrisome thought from time to time.

I once had a 270 M700 with a buldge in it barrel and it too shot just fine. It was only about 1" from the end but never caused a problem. Sold it and the guy is still using it and that was 23 years ago. I do not believe you have anything to worry about. J.

Default Granddad Walton's 99

has the same bulge, about the same vintage. His came from a bit of snow or ice, then shooting. The rifle still shoots to this day as well as it ever did.
    I wouldn't recommend letting it happen again, though! It's been a long time since I've ventured into the weather without a wrap of electrical tape over the muzzle to keep the 'stuff' out of the bore.

I appreciate the tips!!!