Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: HOW to SELL expensive Cabin/Retreat Location...???

  1. #1

    Default HOW to SELL expensive Cabin/Retreat Location...???

    How do you find the people who can afford the few remaining, "AWESOME" tracts of rare land, with staggering Views & water frontage, etc.

    The dream property, (Well, yes we all have somewhat different dreams of the perfect property), But how do you find the 1% or 2% who can afford the special tract.

    Yes, 99% of us could not scrape up $10,000.-- cash. But there are people how have millions, even billions, and want that rare, super special property, and can afford it.

    How do you find those people, as a group....? Robb Report?, or some special publication they read, that I don't read.

    The reason I ask, is I Hate the idea of small tracts of land. The whole idea of being rural is to have some space. That said, I need money to build a barn, and a shop building; The obvious answer is sell off some of the land.

    However because Sixmile Creek (World Class Rafting) is across the road, And because one "wealthy" person is buying all the land on the Sixmile Creek side of the road, This has driven price per acre very high. So that I have no choice but to sell off small tracts, which I don't want to do. Or find someone who can afford 5 acres or 7 acres or 10 acres of expensive land that has creek frontage, waterfalls, and sweeping 360* views of Turnagain Arm and Mountains full of viewable game, and joins government land, classified as: "Preservation Watershed".

    I hope I have stated my dilemma clearly. I don't want ten neighbors I want one neighbor.

    Thank you for any ideas.........

  2. #2
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise,_Alaska

    How about getting together with another of your neighbors and sharing a building.

    When it comes to land that is over inflated for one reason or another, most will shy away.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    How do you find the people who can afford the few remaining, "AWESOME" tracts of rare land, with staggering Views & water frontage, etc.

    The dream property, (Well, yes we all have somewhat different dreams of the perfect property), But how do you find the 1% or 2% who can afford the special tract.

    Yes, 99% of us could not scrape up $10,000.-- cash. But there are people how have millions, even billions, and want that rare, super special property, and can afford it.

    How do you find those people, as a group....? Robb Report?, or some special publication they read, that I don't read.

    The reason I ask, is I Hate the idea of small tracts of land. The whole idea of being rural is to have some space. That said, I need money to build a barn, and a shop building; The obvious answer is sell off some of the land.

    However because Sixmile Creek (World Class Rafting) is across the road, And because one "wealthy" person is buying all the land on the Sixmile Creek side of the road, This has driven price per acre very high. So that I have no choice but to sell off small tracts, which I don't want to do. Or find someone who can afford 5 acres or 7 acres or 10 acres of expensive land that has creek frontage, waterfalls, and sweeping 360* views of Turnagain Arm and Mountains full of viewable game, and joins government land, classified as: "Preservation Watershed".

    I hope I have stated my dilemma clearly. I don't want ten neighbors I want one neighbor.

    Thank you for any ideas.........
    Hopeak, so you're living in Sunshine on the farm, but have property in the Hope area too?

    That "eco terrorist" hasn't got you moving out, does he? Or are you planning on selling in Hope to fortify the Sunshine property?

    There's a Realtor, Bernie Volkner(sp?) of Remote Properties that sells land, lodges, commercial property including lodges in Alaska via his website. He's a good enough guy to deal with (I bought some land in Talkeetna from his listings) , but getting a Realtor cuts in to your profit margin. However, he'd be dealing with weeding out the people who have no hope of buying or affording your property.

    The problem you're going to have, is tire kickers, people that don't have money, credit, but have a dream and are looking, but will never qualify for that unique property you're looking to sell. This will gradually get worse as the economy worsens.

    And the tire kickers are the ones that will hound you. They know they can't afford the property, but as long as they keep inquiring about the property, somehow the dream stays alive for them.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    The problem you're going to have, is tire kickers, people that don't have money, credit, but have a dream and are looking, but will never qualify for that unique property you're looking to sell. This will gradually get worse as the economy worsens.
    And the tire kickers are the ones that will hound you. They know they can't afford the property, but as long as they keep inquiring about the property, somehow the dream stays alive for them.

    That pretty well nails it......Last year I had three people come look at it, they each offered to buy one acre, if I would sell one acres lots. One guy even came back and brought stakes, and staked out one acre; said I'll take this acre if you'll sell it. But, I need to find one buyer with enough money for five acres or eight acres. There must be some publication that they read.......I hope.....

  5. #5
    Member fozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    84

    Default property

    I don't know if this will help but I found my five acres at Lake Louise on remote properties .com. When it was listed three or four people wanted it but I got it.(first buyer could'nt get the loan thank god) you might try them they have a few big ticket parcels.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    at work
    Posts
    16

    Default curious

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    That pretty well nails it......Last year I had three people come look at it, they each offered to buy one acre, if I would sell one acres lots. One guy even came back and brought stakes, and staked out one acre; said I'll take this acre if you'll sell it. But, I need to find one buyer with enough money for five acres or eight acres. There must be some publication that they read.......I hope.....
    what 5 acres of your property would go for???

  7. #7
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    I sent you a PM.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Id.millwright View Post
    what 5 acres of your property would go for???
    I am an "OLD Man", and need to stay on the lower part closer to the Hope Road, so I want to keep the lower half or lower third, till I die or go to the Pioneer Home/Senior Center.

    The back half (7.5 acres) or the back third (5 acres) is the best of the property by far, it has two creeks, and I have been drinking all my water directly from the creeks (no treating or filtering) for 10 years. That part also has the water falls, and the staggering views, and it joins the Government land classified as "Preservation Watershed".

    The problem with the upper part is you need a snow machine in the winter or an ATV in the summer, there is a cleared (Rough) trail up there. The upper part has a 12' X 24' cabin. It is just a dry shell.

    If someone wants a place for raising a family with children, I would suggest the lower or middle 5 acres. It is all good, but it is all different. It is like the hillside in south Anchorage back in the 60's or early 70's, much easier to live on the lower hillside, but "WOW" the view from the upper hillside.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Id.millwright View Post
    what 5 acres of your property would go for???
    Sorry, I did not answer you question in the last post. 1/2 acre just sold for $35,000.00 and one acre sold this winter for $80,000.-- The upper part is worth about $75,000.-- to $80,000.-- per acre. So around $$350,000.-- to $399,000.-- would be a ballpark.

    The Sixmile creek frontage across the road is $242,000.00 per acre. The problem is there is very little private property here in the Chugach National Forest.

  10. #10
    Member anonymous1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak Is.
    Posts
    304

    Default Cabela`s Trophy Properties LLC

    Might try em they list some exclusiv stuff

    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...equestid=69524

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Might try em they list some exclusiv stuff

    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...equestid=69524

    I think that is the direction I will need to go, is outside marketing. Very good Idea.

  12. #12

    Default how to sell land?

    Maybe put an advert. with photos in a big city paper where there is a hunting tradition and lots of spare cash. Dallas? other oil towns, come to mind.

    Real estate brokers want a good percentage to list your property. They're pretty hungry right now, might want to negotiate with one and see what % they'll settle for.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    Maybe put an advert. with photos in a big city paper where there is a hunting tradition and lots of spare cash. Dallas? other oil towns, come to mind.
    Real estate brokers want a good percentage to list your property. They're pretty hungry right now, might want to negotiate with one and see what % they'll settle for.

    I don't mind paying a fee. I am 62 and running out of time. I can only ride this dream about 8 more years. I am rich in land and poor in cash. I may have to just sell one acres lots, they will sell quick, but it will break my heart to do it......

  14. #14

    Default

    Oops, just caught that you're in Sunrise and not Sunshine.

    Guess I really should wear the reading glasses.

    You don't happen to know Thomas the Irishman in Hope do you????

    I met him last summer and he cracks me up. I could have listened to his stories all day if it had been possible.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    oops, just caught that you're in Sunrise and not Sunshine.
    I was in Sunshine onetime doing something very, very, very stupid, and came with-in a inch of being killed by a highballing Choo'Choo train with a "V" plow and massive wing blades......

  16. #16

    Default

    Still looking for good ideas.......

  17. #17

    Default Make sure you are priicing it right.

    It's hard to say from the info you have given but it sounds like you might be making a common mistake in valuing your land.

    You can't extrapolate and say that because 1 acre sold for a certain price that 5 acres would be 5X that price. It would be true if they were 5 separate one acre plots but not if it is in a larger parcel.

    It may very well be worth what you say, I haven't seen it. It does sound like an extremely rare find.

    In addition to Cabelas I would recommend Wyn Moser at landinalaska.com as well as Bernie at remoteproperties.com . Remember, you don't have to pay them unless they sell something for you. Just look at your net. They both have access to outside buyers.

    If you want to go with Cabelas, you need to contact coastalrealtyalaska.com . Emmit and Mary Trimble are the Cabelas realtors for Alaska. I have talked to them about properties several times and they were very knowledgeable.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Still looking for good ideas.......
    You could keep the property and adopt me.

    Dad?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19

    Default

    You can't extrapolate and say that because 1 acre sold for a certain price that 5 acres would be 5X that price. It would be true if they were 5 separate one acre plots but not if it is in a larger parcel.
    Marty is probably right on this. It might be a good idea to have it appraised so you have a better idea of what it's worth. It will also help you when negotiating with potential buyers because the appraisal should come with a list of comparable properties that have recently sold in the area. Has the property already been subdivided?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I don't mind paying a fee. I am 62 and running out of time. I can only ride this dream about 8 more years. I am rich in land and poor in cash. I may have to just sell one acres lots, they will sell quick, but it will break my heart to do it......


    Correct me if I'm wrong here.I really doubt it will break your heart to sell in 1 acre tracks.You will make more money you know that.But splitting it up takes time and money.It is way easier to sell to one person that 10.Is it about the money or the land?If its about the land keep it, if its the money find some one who will invest the time and money to split and do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •