Thread: Does Kitty Litter work as a polishing media???

Default Does Kitty Litter work as a polishing media???

I was wondering if any of you folks have used Kitty Litter as a polishing media and if it works decently??

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    I was wondering if any of you folks have used Kitty Litter as a polishing media and if it works decently??
    I've never been tempted to try it. I'm guessing it would scratch the dickens out of your cases, but that's supposition only.

Exactly what i was thinking Brownbear. Just looking for cheaper ways to go through life in these trying times!!!

Default Recycle polishing media

I don't have any firsthand experience with kitty litter, but the thought crossed my mind as well. Seems I read some recommendation AGAINST using it, somewhere.

But here's something you CAN do: you can wash and reuse your old media (corncob or walnut hulls). Just mix it up with some water and dish soap; swish it around as much as necessary to get it clean; rinse well; and pour it out onto a cookie sheet to dry. Kinda messy, but saves money.

Good tip!!! I have used bounce sheets as well to clean the media and it seems to work pretty good.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Thumbs down

I think the kitty litter is just mostly dried clay……… I suspect it would eventually just turn into powdered dirt.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default No kitty litter

Yes I tried it. The cases were clean, but they were not shiny and the finish was something like a 400 grit sandpaper finish. I will not use it again.

Default cage litter

Ground walnut, not quite as fine as sold by Midway, is available from pet stores for less/lb. It's sold as cage litter and comes in 20 lb bags.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

For buying ground walnut shell, try your local farm and feed store. Dont know what it will run for a 50lb bag there, but I"am getting it for $14.00 for a 50 lb bag. Shure beats the gun store prices.

Gun Runner

I spent $28 last year polishing cases with case polishing media (ground corn cobs), I polished 200,000 cases. I don't see this as a major expense. Buy the gallon jug of media and use it up, throw it away and buy another jug. Support the industry you love.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default kitty litter

I believe I heard this same question asked on Guns and Ammo tv. If I remember right they tried it and the kitty litter put a fine dust over everything in the room.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My Uncle Charlie tried it, and said he'd never do it again.

[ A CAT pooped in his Tumbler. ]

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Never used cat litter but cracked corn from the feed store works like walnut but don't last as long. Cracked corn (not rolled corn, it’s softer) should run around $18 for a 50 pound bag in Alaska.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My Uncle Charlie tried it, and said he'd never do it again.

[ A CAT pooped in his Tumbler. ]

Smitty of the North
    That's what he gets for haveing a cat and not putting the lid down.

Andy

Default Kitty litter not worth crap!

I have tried, the cheapest one in the red bag at wally world, after only a few minutes the cases were covered with a tacky clay coating, very thin but a real pain to wipe off! I have since discovered a new method, 1 quart of hot water, 2 cups white vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap, I place it in one of the new plastic large coffee "cans" put the brass in, pop lid on and gently shake it for 1 minute, let it sit 5 minutes shake it again for 1 minute, remove cases, rinse well in fresh water, spread them out on a towel to dry for a day or 2!
    Solution can be stored right in the plastic coffee can and reused many times! Gets brass as clean as i'll ever need it, and doesn't even use any electricity

If you are set on tumbling your brass, I have a buddy that has always used dry rice as his media and it works great! and seems to really last!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

ADfields:
    You be right.

MagLvr:
    So what cleans the brass, the Rice, or the Talcum Powder they put on the rice to keep it from sticking together?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty of the north View Post
    my uncle charlie tried it, and said he'd never do it again.

[ a cat pooped in his tumbler. ]

smitty of the north
    rotflmao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ADfields:
    You be right.

MagLvr:
    So what cleans the brass, the Rice, or the Talcum Powder they put on the rice to keep it from sticking together?

Smitty of the North
    I'll be darned if I know

Thank you fellas i appreciate the comments.