Thread: Combine alcohol, Jim Creek fishermen in the winter,, and a truck:

Default Combine alcohol, Jim Creek fishermen in the winter,, and a truck:

A week and a half a go we were heading to Skewntna via Flathorn. On the way I kept going through some huge ruts and didn't realize they were truck tires that made them until we got a few miles from the lake. We were shocked to see a Toyota Tundra stuck and off the trail there, three guys starting to dig it out. They planned on making it there to fish. If anyone has taken that trail they know what the last few miles are like, no way a truck could make it, especially back up that icy hill. They assured me they were going to make it to fish Flathorn. When we came back three days later it was gone, and it looked like they turned around somehow. I figure it was a couple of Jim's Creek fisherman looking for something to do in the winter. Also on the way there a spruce tree was smoldering right by the truck ruts, I don't know if they tried to light a tree on fire or what? You can take a the fisherman out of Jim's Creek, but you can't take Jim's Creek out of the fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    A week and a half a go we were heading to Skewntna via Flathorn. On the way I kept going through some huge ruts and didn't realize they were truck tires that made them until we got a few miles from the lake. We were shocked to see a Toyota Tundra stuck and off the trail there, three guys starting to dig it out. They planned on making it there to fish. If anyone has taken that trail they know what the last few miles are like, no way a truck could make it, especially back up that icy hill. They assured me they were going to make it to fish Flathorn. When we came back three days later it was gone, and it looked like they turned around somehow. I figure it was a couple of Jim's Creek fisherman looking for something to do in the winter. Also on the way there a spruce tree was smoldering right by the truck ruts, I don't know if they tried to light a tree on fire or what? You can take a the fisherman out of Jim's Creek, but you can't take Jim's Creek out of the fisherman.
    All that and the trail is only open to vehicles under 1,500#.

Default Brilliant idea...

I've seen guys do it at Figure 8. IDIOTS.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Common saying for Darwin award!

I think the most common thing to say before doing something that would win the Darwin Award.......

Hold my beer and watch this!

Is it just me, or is this kind of stuff one of the ways that trail conditions become worse over time?

Default Classic Jim Creek

That is what we call the Jim Creek Harcore...kind of like the Turnigan Hardcore, but with a higher intoxication level and quite a bit less respect for others! Way to call 'em out as Jim Creekers, I think I just peed my pants a little!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

It wasn't the same truck that was up on the Haul road a while back was it???
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Trucks to Flathorn

Several years ago I was hauling freight to my cabin on Flathorn I saw something large coming up behind me. It passed me and I passed it back and forth all the way to Flathorn.It was a mid 70s 3/4 ton chevrolet truck. . They were getting stuck off and on. I thought they would run on out to the Su, but they took the cut off to Flathorn. They passed me one last time before we got to Fish Creek and that icy hill. I stopped and got off at the top to look at the bottom before going over the edge, as you have to be accelerating on the way down to stay ahead of a sled with 1000# on it. Sure enough they were stuck right at the base of the hill. Eventually they got unstuck and I went down and on to my cabin. They had disappeared somewhere on Flathorn. I assume they went out to the Su to hit the main trail to avoid that icy hill to get back. It is amazing what you see on the trails at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Is it just me, or is this kind of stuff one of the ways that trail conditions become worse over time?

And even worse, it is how they get closed......

Default The burning spruce

That was baffling to me also. Why would they light the tree on fire? ( No real evidence that they did it, could have been someone else but I doubt it ).

And even worse, it is how they get closed......
    It seems to me that there was a big discussion on the condition of the Rex trail last year and in particular how trucks had torn up the trail and created huge & growing mud pits that people were not happy about.

I also find it interesting that the reaction this sort of thing has been fairly blase, especially in comparison with the recent thread about guys who took too many fish out of Jims Lake on Admiralty. Not to revive that thread, but IMO this kind of activity is way worse; while illegal, if one or two parties do that sort of thing every year, I probably wouldn't notice the difference in the quality of fishing should I visit there. If one or two parties do this sort of activity each year on that trail, after a while it gets torn up, and
    I probably would notice a decrease in the quality of the trail.