Thread: Recipe to get rid of critters without harsh Chemicals.

Default Recipe to get rid of critters without harsh Chemicals.

For those who want to try another method of getting rid of those weird little bugs in your garden. I have used this inside on my plants and it works outside (even on slugs).

1 tbsp Salt (use 3 to 5 if you have quite a few slugs)
    1 tbsp Baking Soda
    3 tbsp of Joy lemon scented liquid detergent
    1 gallon of distilled water (or water you have left overnight in a jug)

Take Salt, Baking Soda and Joy (the Joy will make the baking soda not bubble) and put into Jug/Gallon of water and leave over night. Shake a couple times to get the sediment from the Salt to dissolve. If you have a spray bottle (small or large) put the solution in there and start spraying away.

Now I say Joy for a reason. The lemon scent works on the Yellow Jackets, but doesn’t seem to effect the Honey Bees and it is safe on your garden items as well as the flowers. This will also not hurt your soil since I have been doing this for 4 years and have not had any problems.

It also works well on fungus flies on indoor plants. As the salt kills the fungus.

Let me know if you have any problems, and I hope you like my recipe.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

How about something that works on those big black carpenter Ants? I had a problem with those guys last year. Help! Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Those are a pain, aren't they Grandma.

I think you have quite a bit of spruce in your area? First thing is cut them back, as far as you care to cut them. They love those stupid spruce tree almost as much as the spruce bark beetles. Also, they like willow (but not alder) if you notice a willow rotting out... that is your colony, as they love rotting wood. Also smoke ashes is something else they like. Take the tree out and I would burn it... besides the smoke keeps the mosquito's and bees away. But either way you have to find the nest, which might be that rhubarb bush and you might have to kill it to kill them.

This is a long shot, since I know it works BUT the Moose love it. Dig a small trench around your garden, it doesn't have to be deep either. Poor salt and a dish washing detergent around the perimeter of your garden. They are sap eaters and extreme chewers... salt to them is like poison, the dish soap is not poisonous and makes the salt stick.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Those are a pain, aren't they Grandma.

Yes, they sure can be. Problem is that they got into the base logs in my greenhouse, in between the logs. I know where the colony was just not sure how to get rid of them and not harm the veggies that were growing close by. I imagine they pretty well chewed through a whole log last summer and want to make sure they don't come back before I plant this year.

I tried spraying a salty vinegar solution through the logs, to... well, not much avail. It seemed to slow them down for a day or two, but they came right back. Heard about ebson salt, but didn't have any on hand. Thought about shoving moth balls in the cracks, but I was not sure what harm that would do to the plants, plus those things smell just terrrible. A friend told me to lace some molasses with baking yeast, and that the workers would feed off of it, and take some back to the queen and then she would explode...It also seemed to help, but not totally get rid of them.

I sure do need to figure out what I might need to buy to get rid of those critters before my last spring supply plane flies in. So on the lookout for ideas.

Thanks,
    Grandma Lori

Let me talk to a couple master gardener friends. They email me for advice, maybe it is time to ask them for a favor and some advice.

Ok Grandma, here is something you may want to read up on.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Get_R...Ants_Naturally

They also said Acid... which is what I didn't want to see. But Marigolds planted around the perimeter.

Also Cinnamon (ground), Salt, some Dish Washing Detergent, and a little lavender oil, in a bottle and spray the areas you want them to stop coming in works, but you have to do it all the time.

But they both said that they tried all of the "Natural Ways" and Borax with a bait was the only way they died. If they are in your cabin walls, this might be the only solution as they take the borax back with them in the nest.

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Ok Grandma, here is something you may want to read up on.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Get_R...Ants_Naturally

They also said Acid... which is what I didn't want to see. But Marigolds planted around the perimeter.

Also Cinnamon (ground), Salt, some Dish Washing Detergent, and a little lavender oil, in a bottle and spray the areas you want them to stop coming in works, but you have to do it all the time.

But they both said that they tried all of the "Natural Ways" and Borax with a bait was the only way they died. If they are in your cabin walls, this might be the only solution as they take the borax back with them in the nest.

sorry
    Thanks for the information and the link.

I has heard about borax too, but didn't have any of that on hand to give it a try. That might be my only solution to get rid of them once and for all.

Grandma Lori