Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion Sighting

Default Mountain Lion Sighting

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...ry/667559.html

Looks like another mountain lion sighting on the Peninsula. It used to be that F&G spokespeople would deny the accounts, but they seem to be giving them more credence these days.

Angry

One was sighted out in our area by my son last week. He called F&G and they said they also had other reports of the same thing. They were not letting the public know yet.........to me that's a little disturbing.

I remeber a Rivilla report a couple yeras ago down above Loring.

Has he made it to the town side ... maybe the 'town Wolf pack' has taught it how to catch Dogs and Cats !!!!!!

Default So there are wild cats in AK!

See the posting "wild cats in Alaska?" on the wildlife forum. So...I may just have a cougar, sounds a lot more like one than it does a Stellar's or gray jay, as someone suggested!

Ron

Question Black Panther/Mountain Lion

My dad claims to have seen one down on point mackenzie a few years back. He thought that it was a black bear, and looked at it through the binoculars, and realized that the thing was a panther! He had two other guys with him, and they all sware that they saw it too. It all seems more likely now with the sightings.
    Ryan from Wasilla

So if they're not native can we hunt 'em? I know it says if its not listed you cant hunt it.....but maybe :)

Personally, I would like to see F&G deny there are cougars up here as long as possible. If there are mountain lions, there will be a push by people to "protect" them. This will add additional restrictions to the hunting and trapping regs for a species that is not "native" to the area. This is different than some guy letting turkeys or pheasants loose from his yard. Just my 02....

They are already protected here, just like mule deer. They are big game animals and there is no open season.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

If'n theres snow.................there should be tracks, and thats perty hard to dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    If'n theres snow.................there should be tracks, and thats perty hard to dispute.
    We had a very reliable sighting on Elmendorf when I was on active duty and in the wildlife agent program. We took pictures of the tracks and had Fish and Game biologist come out but he denied it could have been anything except a mountain lion. I have the pictures somewhere and they were alwful big for a lynx, and I have seen lynx tracks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_AK View Post
    So if they're not native can we hunt 'em? I know it says if its not listed you cant hunt it.....but maybe :)

you could always do like that guy in Wrangle, back in 1989-90---- shot one in his yard and as it was THE FIRST confirmed account of a mt lion in AK,, he went to jail for shoot an endangered speices..... just because they may not be endangered in the states but in AK they will be considered so...

non listed and non indigenous are two separate catagories... if they migrate here they are not introduced.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fish and Game biologist come out but he denied
    Why ya suppose they do that?

Folks call me nuts, but I (and 2 others with me) saw a mountain lion up by Livengood about 10-12 years ago. Having seen a few of them before in the lower 48, I know it wasn't anything else.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Folks call me nuts, but I (and 2 others with me) saw a mountain lion up by Livengood about 10-12 years ago. Having seen a few of them before in the lower 48, I know it wasn't anything else.

I have heard of just that up there also..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So you probably talked to one of the 2 crazy guys I was with, huh Vince?

Default Remember the dancing

animals Anchorage used for it's logo a few years ago?
    The cat in the lineup had a long tail.
    Obviously the one from Anchorage escaped and that is what the lady saw. :-)
    Seriously, I wonder if there have been more cases like the one in Wrangell where one was killed and we just aren't hearing about them? Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I surely hope they don't get established enough to merit attention.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

A guy from wrangell also trapped one in totem bay a few years back

Default Moving

They are also being sighted/killed in states that haven't seen them in 100 years. There has been a movement easterly into states like Iowa, 1000 miles east of thier "known" range.

Default And yu all thought grizzley bears were somerthing to wory about.

The bears and the cat hunt much the same way,ambush.
    Been supprized a few times with them.
    Made the mistake hunting pig, of wearing doe in heat sent once, and had a big cat jump down from the bush above me, fortunately he was just as supprized as I. and ran off.
    Had he made some povocitive move I would have been justified in taking him but runing off may have been the best thing .Corse I had to clean my shorts ..
    A cat that can migrate that far is no dummy,
    don't run,
    face him.
    the stand off ,

Having come from a state where mountain lions are native, I would say there's nothing to worry about. They carry more fear of humans than just about any other predator. There were reportedly more mountain lions in the mountains where I lived than black bears, yet in the 22 years I lived there, I saw exactly 1 lion, and I lost count on black bears in the first couple of years.

mountain lion attacks on humans are almost unheard of. It's happened, but bears are a much greater concern than the cats.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast