Thread: Anyone ever made/used a 35-30-30?

Default Anyone ever made/used a 35-30-30?

I'm interested in converting a 357 mag rifle barrel I have to this old wildcat, just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with it? and their thoughts as a hunting round.
    Thank you for your time!

I would sell the 357 and get a 30-30 rebored I think, if you are set on 35-30-30. The 357 is a more rear gun than a 30-30 so I think is worth a bit more and if you start with a 30-30 feeding will not be a problem.

However, if you are looking for a hunting leaver gun like that look into the 454 Puma. You get a .45 at quite a bit faster speed form a new gun thatís less than you would have in a 35-30-30. It will shoot 45 Long Colt and 454 Casull and is a good little gun with quite a bit of power. If you sell your 357 and add about $200 you should have a 454 Puma and even some ammo.

Take a look.
    http://www.notpurfect.com/main/puma.html

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    I'm interested in converting a 357 mag rifle barrel I have to this old wildcat, just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with it? and their thoughts as a hunting round.
    Thank you for your time!
    I doubt you could do it with a 357 lever. Just way too many action-length problems to overcome. A gunsmith friend once got a wild hare to play with a 35-30-30, but before going to all the trouble of rebarreling an M-94, he elected to first chamber the barrel and mount it on a singleshot action he had laying around. Only 35 cal barrel he could come up with on short notice was a blank intended to be lopped into shorter pieces for pistol barrels.

Accuracy absolutely STUNK with bullets any longer than pistol bullets. I don't remember what the twist rate was, but he couldn't shoot 200's through it worth a darned. Kind of defeated the idea behind the project, and as I recall he never got around to buying a barrel with the right twist for rifle bullets. I bet you would be facing that problem too, on top of the action issues with a simple rechamber of a 357 lever.

If you really want to do something interesting with that 357 action, how about rebarreling it for 256 Winchester? Same basic case, so action issues would be minimum as long as it fed well. Probably lots easier than doing it over to 25-20 with its smaller case head, but using the same bullets. The 75 grain Speer FN is a DANDY in my 25-20, maybe even better than the Remington 86 grain FN. Then there's the little Hornady 60 grain FN. Lots to play with if you never get around to casting bullets, but you'd be missing out if you didn't do that, too.

Thank you for your time!
    Just re-read your post, and I see I overlooked the fact that you're asking about rechambering a 357 mag BARREL. Belay my comments about the 256 Win Mag, but note my friend's experience with twist rates.

What are you going to mount that barrel on? Might be an interesting experiment in a T/C, but any action other than a single shot is going to be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Just re-read your post, and I see I overlooked the fact that you're asking about rechambering a 357 mag BARREL. Belay my comments about the 256 Win Mag, but note my friend's experience with twist rates.

What are you going to mount that barrel on? Might be an interesting experiment in a T/C, but any action other than a single shot is going to be problematic.
    Now here's the ultimate head smack!!

What about going with the 357 Herret? It's just a slightly shortened and blown out 30-30 case. Lots cheaper on dies, and probably easier to come up with a reamer, even if I'd spend a little time comparing twist rates for the standard Herret barrel with what you have in your 357 barrel. I had a lot of years with the Herret on a TC and took a bunch of game with it. Best bullet for me was the 180 grain Speer FN. If going with the full length 30-30 case let you get a little more oomph out of a 200 grain bullet along with the accuracy, that would be the best justification for no Herret.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Now here's the ultimate head smack!!

What about going with the 357 Herret? It's just a slightly shortened and blown out 30-30 case. Lots cheaper on dies, and probably easier to come up with a reamer, even if I'd spend a little time comparing twist rates for the standard Herret barrel with what you have in your 357 barrel. I had a lot of years with the Herret on a TC and took a bunch of game with it. Best bullet for me was the 180 grain Speer FN. If going with the full length 30-30 case let you get a little more oomph out of a 200 grain bullet along with the accuracy, that would be the best justification for no Herret.

This would be my suggestion, the 357 Herrett. I think the twist for the 357 mag is 1 in 16 and the TC 357 Herrett is 1 in 14 (guessing here) If so that wouldn't be so bad we use pistol bullets in the Herret anyway. Also if you have one of the Win 94's they can be converted to handle the Herrett I think with just a cartridge lifter change and of course the bolt head cut. My 357 Herretts have all handled the 200 grain bullets well and they are quite the deer slayer. I would like to see that round (and the 30) in a nice light repeater.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I know of a smith that built a full length 2" 357 herret lever gun. He said the herret dies would accept the untrimmed brass. So you have the advantage of reasonably priced dies (sometimes dirt cheap) and no trimming.

Personally I'd rather take a 357 mag and turn it into a 357 maximum, though there would likely be some feeding issues.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great ideas! Sure gives me a lot to consider, so many toys

Thank you for your time!
    consider a .35 remington.........it is a very practical (and powerful) round that has really come into it's own with the powerful and accurate hornady leverevolution ammunition.

.35cal hardcast is also great, and penetrates like a 45-70. way better than a standard .357 straight wall case.

happy trails.
    jh