Thread: Best Grizzly 450 tire

Default Best Grizzly 450 tire

I am looking to upgrade my tires on my 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 450 and before I talk to a dealer and get his sales pitch. I would like to hear your recommendations for a all-around ATV tire for Alaska. Also best place to buy.

Thanks

Default tires

Go with the ITP mud Lites. Good all around tire, works great in the mud and still handles well and comfortable ride on a smooth hard surface. I run them on my 660 Griz and they do great.

Default yup second that

the 26 inch mud lights are the way to go for the kodiak 450, or Griz 450 as they are calling them now. I personally wouldn't go for the 27's, too much tire for that machine.

I wouldn't go much bigger than 26" or your power will be badly robbed, but I will advise that theres lots of good all around ATV tires out there that will work well here in Alaska. I know that many people like the ITP MudLites (and I ran em for years) but there are also lots of other good tires out there that outperform MudLites. The new ITP XTR's are getting much better reviews than the MudLites, both on trail and in mud. I went with a set of SwampLites on my newest King Quad and was quite impressed with them for the small amount of time that I was able to use em before the snow hit. I am begining to believe that the MudLites areant all that good in the mud after trying out the SwampLites, even though I argued the point for years. Theres some websites out there like Highlifter.com that has lots of good info on pretty much any atv tire made. Might want to ask there or read some of the threads in the tire section. Just remember that some guys are not open minded and argue to the death what tire is best!

I agree with Cub, stay with the 26" tires as the 27" or bigger will only keep your machine from performing like it should. I will have to disagree with Cub (you knew that was coming right....)on the brand and model though. The XTR's are the radial version of the Mudlite and are quite expensive but in the long run are worth the money. I've been using the Mudlite XL's for going on 4 years now and they have done everything i've asked of them and more. Whatever tire you decide to buy, make sure it is 6 ply, anything less and it will not hold up well in this Alaskan terrain. And this has nothing to do with being open minded, when you find something that works you use it and the Mudlite XL's flat out work. Check JC Whitney for atv tires, they are the cheapest i've found on the web and shipping has always been free. As an aside, when you buy the Mudlites from them they are shipped directly from the factory.

I have 26" mud lites on my 450 king Quad. They flat out work, period.

I Vote the Mud lites, I have 27"s on my 500 AC and they are great, I also have a set of 589 MS in 26" that I ran for a while and I dont really like them as much they ride rough as hell on hard trails and they rob a little more power. I retired them to my boy's old Big bear.

I personally am a firm beleiver in ITP 589's....They have a great lug and will wear a long time with the solid lug design. Have heard some say they offer a rough ride but I happen to disagree. Mudlights are a great tire as well but wont wear as long.
    As for size I happen to agree with the 26's for the 450.I ride a Foreman 450 with 27" ITP's BUT had to install a gear reduction to get my low end back.JMO

589's are considerably heavier than the Mudlites, had a set on my 300 Fourtrax and it definitley had an affect on power. I have to 2 friends with the 589's, one on a Foreman like mine and the other on a Rubicon and they both hate them. To heavy and hard to turn in the thick mud and their machines drink more gas than mine does. Both have sworn to swap over to Mudlites once the 589's have worn down, which make take a while. Both of their machines are stock as is mine and we prefer them that way as sometimes we like to ride a little faster on the good trails.

Got the 589's on my wifes 300 4x4 as well. 25" front and back.Didnt effect power nearly as much as you make it sound on that machine either and these are a taller tire than stock on the 300 also(23" frnt and 24" rear). Lotsa options for tires out there....again...JMO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I see the problem

Saw it right away, you got them tires on a Honda, no wonder it seems underpowered.... ha ha ha...

anything is better than stock, 589's and mudlights are probably the two most popular tires in this state due to availablilty. I have the mudlights a friend has the 589's we both do just fine.

And since no one has mentioned a place to buy them, I'd say Go Pro in Anchorage is a good place, got two sets from them in the last two years, always good service and got free installation from them on a special they were running last summer. And they were literally hundreds of dollars less than the ATV dealers best price.

And no I'm not a honda hater, if I wanted a good lawnmower I'd certainly give them a go

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    Saw it right away, you got them tires on a Honda, no wonder it seems underpowered.... ha ha ha...

anything is better than stock, 589's and mudlights are probably the two most popular tires in this state due to availablilty. I have the mudlights a friend has the 589's we both do just fine.

And since no one has mentioned a place to buy them, I'd say Go Pro in Anchorage is a good place, got two sets from them in the last two years, always good service and got free installation from them on a special they were running last summer. And they were literally hundreds of dollars less than the ATV dealers best price.

And no I'm not a honda hater, if I wanted a good lawnmower I'd certainly give them a go
    Go pro has my recommendation also.......good prices without the shipping.
    Ya gotta admit.....**** good lawn mowers!