Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simply Rugged Holster- Thumb Strap??

Default Simply Rugged Holster- Thumb Strap??

I have read numerous posts from many of you who have a Simply Rugged Pancake Holster. I am leaning towards one for my new 4 inch Redhawk. But, I sure like the looks of the thumb strap and the way it covers the hammer. It sounds like it's not needed for securing the gun. Is it overkill??

Probably overkill and sometimes snaps don't unsnap as fast as you would like them to.

Thumb breaks are frequently overkill for a well formed holster. Their primary advantage is for securing the weapon during rough travel (such four-wheeler or horseback). However, their big drawback is that unless one practices with the holster enough to learn to instinctively unsnap the holster prior to attempting to draw the weapon when under moments of stress the snap is forgotten and the drawing of the weapon at best delayed. It is something to consider as such a delay could be very costly. There are many holsters that hold a weapon securely without such a risk.

I have two Simply Rugged pancake holsters. Both of them with thumb breaks. I like knowing that the gun is staying right there in the holster until I take it out. I'm used to the thumb break because I have to hit it every single time I draw from the holster.

As long as you practice the way you carry - no problem.

I have one for a 4" N frame in which I carry my 329PD in. NO thumb strap, the holster is perfectly formed and I don't know if you would even need a thumb strap with these holsters? This pistol is really light, it may come in handy for a heavier pistol? But once you shove the pistol in, it is there till you need it.
    I will say it is my favorite holster!
    Mike

I have a pancake for my Ruger Alaskan. I really dont think you NEED a thumbreak but i have one on mine. I would also say the longer the barrel the less you would need one. I LOVE my holster!!! They are a bit stiff at first but break in quickly and they fit better the more they are used. All in all a GREAT holster!

Thanks guys.

I have one with a thumb break for my Super Redhawk Wolverine custom. The strap on mine isn't as thick as the one in the pic you posted. I wish it was, I'd be more happy with it.

Default shrink fit

Is the pancake holster shrink fit to the pistol? It doesn't look like it. My FIL and MIL made a leather holster for my wife's .357 smith and it fits like a glove - they make thier own knife sheaths for their custom knives and have worked leather for a long time - they are pretty handy. I am not so sure that I could do it properly so was looking at one for a new revolver.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If there's no tension screw, I'd want a thumb break, or something to hold it in.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default I just ordered a holster for my redhawk

I ordered the pancake without the thumb break. I figured if I don't like it, I will order one with a thumbreak. If you are tumbling on the ground it might be nice to have the thumb break. I also like the idea of having cartridges close also.

They are not "shrink fit" leather doesn't work quite that way. We do wet mold our holsters by hand. I ofer thumbreaks, for folks that just HAVE to have them. I also offer a removble safty strap but agian the holster retains the pistol.
    That photo is of an old proto type I made for Jeff Quinn of gunblast.com 4 years ago.
    Most of my holsters are built without a mechanicle retention device as the design itself retains the pistol. In the interests of science I have proven this while falling out a few boats, getting bucked off a horse. and hanging upside down in alder brush. They work; no hype, no gimmicks, just a Simple Rugged holster.
    Thanks folks,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by leahy View Post
    They are not "shrink fit" leather doesn't work quite that way. We do wet mold our holsters by hand. I ofer thumbreaks, for folks that just HAVE to have them. I also offer a removble safty strap but agian the holster retains the pistol.
    That photo is of an old proto type I made for Jeff Quinn of gunblast.com 4 years ago.
    Most of my holsters are built without a mechanicle retention device as the design itself retains the pistol. In the interests of science I have proven this while falling out a few boats, getting bucked off a horse. and hanging upside down in alder brush. They work; no hype, no gimmicks, just a Simple Rugged holster.
    Thanks folks,
    Rob
    I can vouch for these simply rugged holsters, they do keep the gun in place during various gymnastic activities. I haven't tried the hanging upside down in an alder bush yet...I'm sure there is a story that goes with that....but they do work well as intended.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My 629 MG resides in a SR pancake and the holster retains the gun with nary a problem. Worn IWB with the inside out straps it conceals completly with just a shirt and is comfortable all day. Its much better than holsters I have that are made specifically for IWB. I even have a silver dollar pancake for my Smith & Weggie 637 that works like a charm. I'm thinking about getting inside out straps and putting them on it even. I don't want to drill holes in my holster so I might have to convince the wife to let me order another one. After she saw me almost hurt myself one afternoon, that might not be to difficult.

Default Well I guess that settle it then...

Thanks Rob and others for the input. I had convinced myself that the thumb-strap was really needed but after hearing these reports and communicating with Rob it sounds like a SIMPLE Rugged Holster(s) is the way to go. One for the Redhawk and one for the little Det. Spec.

Default shrink

I hadn't done any real leatherwork until last weekend. I made one similiar to one of Roy's design...I understand the shaping of the leather now.

Your simply rugged holsters are works of art - that double as a functional holster.

Smile retention devices........

A thumb snap/break and a tension screw as we all know are retention devices. Level 3 holsters are the industry standard for uniformed carry with a duty holster because of bad guys grabbing a officers gun and using it on them. I have seen some pretty fast times with a trained person and a Level 3 holster. I own 5 Kramer Horse Hide holsters for 4 different hand guns. For the most part I consider them concealment holsters and they are all best grade holsters. They fit the gun so well that I can turn them up side down and shake them some and the gun stays put. They have no other retention devices. The field holster for my 4" S&W .44 has a thumb break and I put a 2 Chicago screws in it for added retention. It is a true cross draw holster made by Galco and is a copy of the old Jackass Leather Goods holster. I am more concerned about loosing the gun climbing in and out of boats, ATV's and alder patches then I am out drawing a bear. Clearing leather does not take long if you train with your gear and something motivates you! Any way, that is my 2 cents.

After a season of carrying in one of Robs holsters without the thumb strap my vote is; go without. I wore it all the time, just to see how well it would retain my pistol. Never had a problem mounting and dismounting the wheeler, getting friends unstuck, hiking through brush and a rather spectacular dismount due to my wheeler rolling over. Unless you are a trapeez artist, I dont think there is a need for a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    After a season of carrying in one of Robs holsters without the thumb strap my vote is; go without. I wore it all the time, just to see how well it would retain my pistol. Never had a problem mounting and dismounting the wheeler, getting friends unstuck, hiking through brush and a rather spectacular dismount due to my wheeler rolling over. Unless you are a trapeez artist, I dont think there is a need for a strap.
    My testing wasn't quite as extensive as Tenmm's (thankfully) but I agree with his findings. I had a 4.75" blackhawk in 41 mag in mine.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have a thumb break on my pancake holster for my Super Blackhawk- more for my own paranoyia than anything. I switch the carry a lot depending on what I am doing from cross draw to strong side to under shoulder carry- I just feel better with the strap as extra insurance cause you forget that it is there, the holster does a good enough job on its own. But I wouldnt be able to forgive myself if I "lost" my old blackhawk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast