Thread: For 3CBRs and others who are owned by Chessies

Default For 3CBRs and others who are owned by Chessies

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good article. I have two female Chessies that seem to be OK. Both are spayed. Just wonder how many other dogs have the same problem. Chessies and Labs are relate to the Newfoundland if I remember right. Just hope some day they come up with a cure.

Some have taken my post the wrong way. I know the disease isn't new. I just had no idea DM was exactly the same disease as ALS in humans. That is very interesting.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the link Sherri! There is a genetic marker test available for DM, which can be ordered from OFA. Some breeders have started using it to avoid breeding carrier to carrier. It's something you would not wish on your worst enemy & it's absolutely heartbreaking to see a dog affected by DM. Unfortunately we've lost some high-profile Dual CH/AFC's to the disease, but it's not found in a specific line. More information is available at http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/DM/mainDM.htm

Karen