Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you really stand?

Question Where do you really stand?

I know most of us can talk the talk, but when that moment of truth might come...you know, the one you thought would never happen...when you have a home invasion, robbery, assault, or some other violent crime. What do you think you'd do when confronted with reality? Would you John Waynem, Clint Eastwoodem and shootem up? Or try to appeal and rationalize with the thugs? Maybe cower or run and hide? How about offering a family member or friend in exchange for your safety? If you go down, would you go down fighting or pleading? How about freezing up and going into shock? Does having an arsenal make you feel more secure and are you mentally and physically prepared to use it. Are you willing to be tried by 12 instead of carried by 6? Is preparedness, or better yet, over-preparedness, considered paranoia. or just plain smart? Questions, hopefully, we'll have a positive answer too, especially with harder times looming before us. Stay safe.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Clint Eastwood died in his last movie. So no, I wouldn't go that way. Beg or give up another person, heck no. Not even a remote possibility. Be able to pull the trigger. Yes. And I say that without a moment's hesitation, even though I hope that I will never, ever have to go there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Been there, done that

but I didn't know for sure what I'd do. Now I know. I now know that if something needs to be done to protect myself, friends or family, I'm capable. I just hope it isn't going to be necessary again.

I hope we never find out or put the thought to the test. I know how I feel but want to feel optimistic about things.

There is nothing more valuable than my family. If I felt they were threatened in the least, there isn't anything I wouldn't do.

Wellll been there and done that and regretfully more than once.It was in the lower 49 and the same type gun and shells were used.American Derringer in .410/45colt useing .410 skeet loads 7 1/2 shoot then moved to the better more modern Bond Arms useing the same shells.One shot has taken care of the problem luckly as the next round is 255 gr. 45 colt.In the face neck area both were instand give up and no lawsuits no questions asked.One man thanked me later for not killing him as he knew I had plenty of guns to do just that.One was opening the pawn shop first thing in the morning and he was waiting inside and the other looking for a man trying to jump bond and late at night in the geto where he lived.In Alaska I've never worried about it but I don't live in big towns.

Default Both times...

The SOB was dead before the gun came up. At least in my mind.
    Both walked away in handcuffs, and then the shaking, questioning, vomiting began.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Clint Eastwood died in his last movie. So no, I wouldn't go that way. Beg or give up another person, heck no. Not even a remote possibility. Be able to pull the trigger. Yes. And I say that without a moment's hesitation, even though I hope that I will never, ever have to go there.

Did you just ruin a movie for me?!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Is there anything in this life that you would kill or die for?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Arrow yeh!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Is this a loaded question? There are a lot of things that'd I'd kill for and a few less that'd I die for...the only question is that moment in time where it all has to be sorted out.

Default Ayoob and Citizen Self Defense -

I was working in Fairbanks last week - found a magazine (Guns & Ammo Book of Personal Defense) in the rack, new to me at the grocery store -

Massad Ayoob wrote one article, "Court Issues and Armed Citizen Self-Defense". He basically presents food for thought based on actual court cases elsewhere and warns of potential pitfalls. Only one case, California v. Herman Kreutzer, involves defense on a homeowner's property. Most cases involved manipulating evidence or leaving the scene. Otherwise the best advice: be wary of modifying your weapon or ammo for home defense.

The article closes with "the more arguable issues you can keep out of a case, the less of an ordeal you'll have to suffer in the wake of a justifiable act of deadly force that is undertaken to protect an innocent human life..."

Family, yes, without question.....

Default Deffense

My question is not what I would do given the chance but what the jury might do afterwards. It's sometimes harder to justify your case to a jury than it is to a criminal; "Gee judge I didn't know he was only armed with a screw driver, it was dark in the house".
    Looking someone in the eyes and shooting him isn't nearly as hard as haveing to justfy that act to yourself every day after that action.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Joe Horn in Texas got off and I knew he would end up doing life,luck is a very good thing.The worst thing you can do after a shooting is lie.They can now tell you the DNA of everyone who has ever entered a hundred year old house so they can darn sure tell where a person was when you shot them.Folks that have the most trouble after a shooting are war vets as there death emotions are abit dull to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Is this a loaded question? There are a lot of things that'd I'd kill for and a few less that'd I die for...the only question is that moment in time where it all has to be sorted out.

Sure it is but the answer is supposed to be YES.

Default Murphy

I'm going to ruin the movie for you but for good cause. Grand Torino had the makings of a fantastic movie, I was deeply into it and was waiting for a clever outcome that would have made it one of the best movies I have seen recently but it was just another load of the Hollywood crap. Even Eastwood went for the ratings instead of a masterpiece and gave us more of the drivel that makes the box office big in America. Why do American movies have to end in a hail of bullets? Why do we have to watch bullets exiting through a jerking body in order for the movie to be a hit? This is the problem with America now! This is sooo against what we, firearms owners of America, stand for and it is hurting our cause. The liberals and non gun owners that are subjected to this garbage can't help but have a negative view of us when every time they see guns in use there is a person getting slaughtered. The media is cleverly manipulating We The People into hating guns this way. I suggest, instead of watching Grand Torino, take someone to the range. Introduce a non-shooter to the wonderful world of firearms in a more positive way. I personally have always been reluctant to be around novice shooters and my range time is kind of a personal tranquillity for me but I resolve to start bringing folks to the range, being patient and helping them to understand safety and realize the great enjoyment that can be had with guns. If you're looking for a great gift for someone, why not a gun? Arm them all and there will be none left to vote for the left!

Default Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread but

I guess my answer was in my response. I don't absolutely know how I would respond as I have never had to shoot someone but I have mentally prepared and my feeling is that if I absolutely needed to kill someone to defend myself I would do just that. Then I would prepare to defend myself again from the courts and that would be the order I would do it in. I wouldn't have to spend a great deal of the crisis time thinking about firearms function or accuracy since I am quite familier with shooting so I can focus on dealing with the threat. I pray it never comes to it and will not know otherwise but I have been many stressful and even life threatening situations and have always done quite well.

Default Response to the off-topic leg of this thread...

Did you just ruin a movie for me?!
    Nope. I didn't specify any details that will detract from the film... specifically how, why, or when. Quite frankly, from about 1/3 of the way into that movie, you have already been told (shown actually) that he's going to die. I won't spoil it with any details, but even armed with this info, you will be surprised at how it unfolds... and if you're like me you'll be really... oh, I won't say it as that would be a spoiler in itself. Go see it. You won't regret it at all.

I do have to disagree a little bit with MM about the gun issues in Gran Torino. Yes, it depicts gang violence and yes there are illegal guns used. However, unlike films that focus solely on wasting lots of ammo, showing lots of blood, and filling everything in with explosions, chases, and special effects, this one doesn't do any of that. It is a much more realistic portrayal of what is really happening on the streets of some of our big cities down in America. There were only a couple scenes where firearms were actually discharged. The blood and bruises shown in this film were specific to the story line, not gratuitous at all. The good guy had guns too, but let's just count up the number of times he used them... (won't give that away as it would spoil the movie).

Gran Torino already has a spot on my DVD rack as soon as it is released. This one is a keeper.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Arrow it was

Sure it is but the answer is supposed to be YES.
    It was yes (yeh!, was my lead in), but like everyone else...hope and pray it never comes to that, but with the current and future situation in this country, the odds of an encounter are greatly increasing. It seems to me that a lot of folks are fearing the justice system more than a horrible confrontation...fear that makes them want to take the path of least resistance, hoping I guess, that God will sort it out. "If I stick my head into the sand, maybe when I pull it out, everything will be just ducky-wucky."

Default It's speculative, but "yes"...

There are 20,000 genes in the human gnome. Whatever gene activates protection of loved ones is for sure a super-sized-mondo-gene in my personal genotype. Like many of you, I have been in war. I know fear, I know my reaction to it....and I know that I clearly stand ready to protect my loved ones and myself from inescapable life threat...but I sure hope it never happens in the future to me and mine...or you and yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast