Thread: Bear baiting in Pt. Mackenzie

Default Bear baiting in Pt. Mackenzie

I'm thinking of doing a little baiting in Pt. Mackenzie this spring. I've never really done anything more than fish and bird hunt down there. I know its mostly all private property. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a little baiting in Pt. Mackenzie this spring. I've never really done anything more than fish and bird hunt down there. I know its mostly all private property. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

It might be difficult getting the required one mile from any house/cabin.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default more crowded

and its going to get more and more crowded there now that they paved the road clear to the end last fall.

Default Done it

We have done it, and the results weren't impressive enough to keep us around. At the spot where we go, we see blackies there all moose season, and when bear season rolls around, they all just dissapear, and out come the grizzlies. We are only absolutlely sure that one blackie has been there, and he's up on a friends wall! We have had at least 6 different grizzlies in there, and they seem to just dominate the blackies. The pic is of our friend with the bear. Nothing to big, but still had a nice hide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Big blackie

Last year on my way our to king salmon at about 200 feet I saw a 6.5 to 7.0 blackie, so there are some out there, But, I also saw 3 grizz on the same trip before the big sue.

Terry

Default Watch the houses

The best way to be off of private property is to go out into the refuge. Understand that there is not ATV or vehicles out there. Depends on the regs this year but you may have to be a certian distance from the little su too. Then no matter where you find a place put you tree stand plenty high.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous