Thread: Hiking Trailer???

Lightbulb Hiking Trailer???

Have any of the forum hikers ever hiked and pulled a bike trailer?

On one of my hikeing trips that I routinely do I am on an old jeep trail, usually used now by four-wheelers, for more than 20 miles in, and then 20 miles out. But it is a hunting controlled use area, so in the fall only "hiking power" is permitted. Generally, I come out about 80 pounds heavier than when I go in. Rather than backpack/hike under my overloaded backpack, I'm wondering if it would be possible to harness myself to a bike trailor for the jeep trail, reasonably level, portion of this endeavor.

Anything in the achives on this?

Any ideas? Any experiences? Any sighting of such a critter?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Intriguing idea

Dennis,

This is an interesting idea. I used to haul a bike trailer back when the kids were little and it had a gooseneck that attached to the seat post on my bike, but it also had a push handle that could be installed for just rolling it along by hand. It might be possible to secure the gooseneck to a bar on your pack frame and just drag it behind you. If you are on a jeep trail it might be just the thing.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Have any of the forum hikers ever hiked and pulled a bike trailer?

On one of my hikeing trips that I routinely do I am on an old jeep trail, usually used now by four-wheelers, for more than 20 miles in, and then 20 miles out. But it is a hunting controlled use area, so in the fall only "hiking power" is permitted. Generally, I come out about 80 pounds heavier than when I go in. Rather than backpack/hike under my overloaded backpack, I'm wondering if it would be possible to harness myself to a bike trailor for the jeep trail, reasonably level, portion of this endeavor.

Anything in the achives on this?

Any ideas? Any experiences? Any sighting of such a critter?

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There is a product made like this. It is advertised in the back of "Backpacker" magazine. Has a waist harness/belt that attaches to you and I believe it has one wheel in the back that is under the frame which you can attach gear bags to.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

How long do your trips out there last? With the right gear, you can get pack weight down to 20 lbs for 3 days, 30 for a week. Before trying a cart, I'd rather try to cut back on my basic load first.

I've seen carts for hauling game sold in Cabela's catalog, or something similar. I'm not sure. You might try their website.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Smile Thx

Thanks...(to those who responded) for your ideas. I have some ideas now to help me resolve my concern.

Dennis