Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull

Default Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull

I have a question for all you gun savy folks out there.... I was told that someone in Anchorage (Wild West Guns?????) could take a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and machine the cylinder so you could shoot .45 ACP and .45 WinMag in addition to already being able to shoot .45 LC and 454 Casull with the handgun. Currently I shoot both .45 Long Colt and 454 Casull out of the gun, but it would be nice to try some other types. Anyone had this done or know anything about it? Positive or Negative feedback needed. Thanks

This may need to go to the Gunsmithing area but I thought I would try here first.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Wild West or about any good gunsmith can. You use "C" or "star" clips on the rimless rounds so what they do is add a little room so the clip will fit and still close.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Wild West or about any good gunsmith can. You use "C" or "star" clips on the rimless rounds so what they do is add a little room so the clip will fit and still close.

Andy

I never used them, but i thought the star clips were the same thickness as the rims on the normal rounds, so they wouldnt need any milling down.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I never used them, but i thought the star clips were the same thickness as the rims on the normal rounds, so they wouldnt need any milling down.
    Me either but when I put a 45acp in my 460 cylinder deep enough to shut the grove is inside the chamber. I thought it would work and got some "C" clips and she don't shut. Needs some relieving cuts to work. Also cant find a star for my S&W 460V as its 5 rounds. May work on a Ruger but I don't know.

Andy

I have a S&W 1950 45 acp it uses moon clips, it appears that the cylinder is cut at least somewhat to allow the fit.Alex

Default Yes Frontage Road (west) between Dowling and Dimond.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    I have a question for all you gun savy folks out there.... I was told that someone in Anchorage (Wild West Guns?????) could take a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and machine the cylinder so you could shoot .45 ACP and .45 WinMag in addition to already being able to shoot .45 LC and 454 Casull with the handgun. Currently I shoot both .45 Long Colt and 454 Casull out of the gun, but it would be nice to try some other types. Anyone had this done or know anything about it? Positive or Negative feedback needed. Thanks

This may need to go to the Gunsmithing area but I thought I would try here first.
    Yes, I have been in Wild West Guns and seen a couple of those jobs.

Jim West has a "Wolverine" treatment that shortens the barrel, trims some of the excess metal from the frame, does some action work and, of course, relieves the cylinder/extractor star to allow use of the moon clips, yet still leaves enough of the rear of the cylinder and star to headspace on the rim. So, .45ACP headspaces on the star and rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim. If I recall correctly, there is some porting of the barrel involved, too. It was a year ago. I don't recall if they mentioned .45 Win Mag, but 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 45 ACP in moon clips were definitely usable in the modified guns.

He can sell you a gun that he has already done, or will do it to your gun.

I am sure he (they, as there is more than just Jim working there) would do any part of the full "treatment", whatever you want. I am also sure other gunsmiths in town can do the same, but his is the only shop I have personally seen.

Lost Sheep.

Remember extra chamber cleaning is often needed before going back to the full lenght shells after shooting alot of short rounds.

I have one of the Wolverine customs and it is a fine shooter. I highly recommend it. I'm not sure if it will shoot .45 Win mag or not.