Thread: Lift w/ a setback on a jet sled?

Default Lift w/ a setback on a jet sled?

I am thinking about installing a lift w/ a 4" setback on a 20 foot windshield style riverboat, the motor is a 140 and I plan to extend the tunnel to match the setback.
    What are the pros and cons to having the motor setback 4" from the transom????

I passed your comments on to my bro-in-law, still haven't heard back from him

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I am thinking about installing a lift w/ a 4" setback on a 20 foot windshield style riverboat, the motor is a 140 and I plan to extend the tunnel to match the setback.
    What are the pros and cons to having the motor setback 4" from the transom????
    No advantages.
    Makes the rear of the boat squat lower
    Longer lever arm on the transom
    Having to extend the tunnel to meet the foot
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    No advantages.
    Makes the rear of the boat squat lower
    Longer lever arm on the transom
    Having to extend the tunnel to meet the foot
    Nitro, Thanks for the reply, have you had a lift on a similar boat?
    And removed it for your above reasons?
    Thanks, John

I've got a manual CMC lift on my SeaArk Tunnel 1652 jet tunnel and its fine. I haven't exteneded the tunnel either but some spray comes off the pump. But the performance is still good. I can still jump beaver dams and don't get hung up.

Sobie2

I have a 20' jon with no tunnel and a hydralic CMC lift and a 90hp Yami Jet. It works really well, I do get a little spray but with the lift I can adjust the motor to minimize the spray. The lift also works well in shallow water when idleing as I can lift the motor way up so I don't suck up junk. I have thought about getting that "plastic" (not sure the exact name) to extend from the transom to force the water to the jet but it seems to work well without it, as I push 30 mph or so with the boat which is enough for me.

Nitro, Thanks for the reply, have you had a lift on a similar boat?
    And removed it for your above reasons?
    Thanks, John
    I have a 20V70 Alweld with a 175hp Johnson mounted on a CMC lift. Alweld does not provide a very sturdy transom, and mine is bent inward as a result. The bottom edge of the lift was beginning to press into the transom when I mounted a 20" square, 3/8" thick plate of 5083 aluminum to spread the load. Even so, it is quite distorted.

There is a new company putting out a lift that has 7.5" of vertical lift, and this would be far better than the CMC which simply doesn't have the travel to allow you to go back and forth between the prop and jet. http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662

I extended the tunnel about 18" on mine to reach out to the foot. I also made a plate out of 3/16" aluminum that extended the nose of the foot so I wouldn't be digging in all the time. Being able to lift the motor higher is the key.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have a 20V70 Alweld with a 175hp Johnson mounted on a CMC lift. Alweld does not provide a very sturdy transom, and mine is bent inward as a result. The bottom edge of the lift was beginning to press into the transom when I mounted a 20" square, 3/8" thick plate of 5083 aluminum to spread the load. Even so, it is quite distorted.

There is a new company putting out a lift that has 7.5" of vertical lift, and this would be far better than the CMC which simply doesn't have the travel to allow you to go back and forth between the prop and jet. http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662

I extended the tunnel about 18" on mine to reach out to the foot. I also made a plate out of 3/16" aluminum that extended the nose of the foot so I wouldn't be digging in all the time. Being able to lift the motor higher is the key.
    I have looked at the power tran lifts, they look like a good unit. I am considering a manual lift to see how it affects the boat handling, if I like what it does maybe next year do the power lift.
    That is a lot of extension on the tunnel, just measuring and looking I think I will only need 10-12 inches to get it back to the foot.
    I dont quite follow the 3/16" nose extension on the foot?

I have looked at the power tran lifts, they look like a good unit. I am considering a manual lift to see how it affects the boat handling, if I like what it does maybe next year do the power lift.
    That is a lot of extension on the tunnel, just measuring and looking I think I will only need 10-12 inches to get it back to the foot.
    I dont quite follow the 3/16" nose extension on the foot?
    Since the nose of the foot on my boat was about 3/4" below the centerline of water flow, I used two angle aluminum (one on each side), to hold a 3/16" plate to extend the front of the jet foot. I used the two bolts that hold the gravel grating. worked really well, but it just wasn't the same as if it were correctly set up.

Default Bobs machine shop in Florida

I had a 24ft Seaark no tunnel with a Hydraulic lift for my Yamah 150 fourstroke. It had 7" of travel and worked awesome when I would switch from jet to prop.

I just had a small piece of uhmw put in between the boat and unit for spray and it worked great.

I would do it all over again and really regret selling that boat.

IMO they are much better than a CMC or manul lift.

Default I was going to do it

But the boat shop talked me out of it. I was wanting to swich back and forth on my wooly ak. They told me I would be disapointed in the way the boat performes with the weight of the motor moved back. If anyone has done this on a wooldrige and loved it let me know.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I had a 24ft Seaark no tunnel with a Hydraulic lift for my Yamah 150 fourstroke. It had 7" of travel and worked awesome when I would switch from jet to prop.

I just had a small piece of uhmw put in between the boat and unit for spray and it worked great.

I would do it all over again and really regret selling that boat.

IMO they are much better than a CMC or manul lift.
    I have talked to Bobs machine shop and was told their lifts only have 5-1/2" of travel? Also have been told 5-1/2 is not enough travel to go from prop to jet?

I have talked to Bobs machine shop and was told their lifts only have 5-1/2" of travel? Also have been told 5-1/2 is not enough travel to go from prop to jet?
    I'll say it again: 5.5" is not enough. You need the Powrtran with the 7.5", it was designed exactly with the lower swapping in mind.

I have a 2005 21ft Wooly AKII. I use it to run Valdez and Interior rivers. After I owned my sled for a couple years I realized it was of more use to me to be able to change from prop to jet. I took it to Kalorld's in Fairbanks and had him modify the transom and install an OMC power lift with 5.5 inches of travel.

I have found that this is barely enough travel but works for me without changing the engine mounting holes.

I noticed some lost performance and some water spray with the jet.

I extended the UHMW from the tunnel to the jet foot. To help with the spray.

Mine is a different boat with the prop, will get more on step than I have ever loaded in it and just sips the gas. Power for days and tops out near 40mph.

Best Mod I ever did, only use the jet to chase the Salmon during the runs.

I can raise the engine while running and really run shallow stuff even with the prop.

I have to be careful about cowling clearance when the lift is lowered and the engine is raised the cowling can contact the transom.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

200 hp Opti on my 23 foot Alaskan with the Powrtran jackplate. The only negative I can say about the combination is the cost of the lift. It has enough travel so the jet can be moved to the correct position if I ever add one. Did not notice any disadvantage to the motor being set back 4 inches or so.

Have only used the prop to date but am tickled pink with the ability to raise/lower at will. Am convinced it kept us from getting stuck a few times during our Koyukuk run last year.

Heard raising the prop would improve the fuel economy and I played with adjusting it a few times but never noticed any significant changes. But it isnt the easiest thing in the world trying to calculate fuel consumption/gallons per hour/miles per gallon when you are running!
    Tennessee