Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Talkeetna?

Default Kimber Talkeetna?

Anybody have one? Are they worth $1600 or would I be better off going custom for a little more?

Quote Originally Posted by harms View Post
    Anybody have one? Are they worth $1600 or would I be better off going custom for a little more?
    What "Cartridge".........?

I think the Talkeetna is only in 375 H&H but I could be wrong.

It's built on the same action as their long action Montanas. I suppose if a guy had one of those and was looking for a nice big bore to compliment a Montana then it would be the bees knees. I have a .30-06 Montana and have been eyeing the Talkeetna pretty hard, but don't tell my wife.

If they shoot, then the price is right when compared to a custom build up on a M70 action. However, there's lots of negative about the shooting of Kimber rifles. I haven't heard anything about the accuracy of the Talkeetna yet.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've only heard of 375 H&H in this rifle and I haven't seen one for $1600.....closer to $2K.

Owner friend enjoys his.....the upgrade Krieger barrel is very accurate....He and I both prefer the Kimber synthetic stocks.....light, durable and fit right.

If I had use for another 375, I would certainly buy one as I don't believe I can get that quality in a custom rifle for that money. Custom rifles don't usually hold resale value unless the builder is of some reknown.

The two Kimber Montanas that I have are superbly accurate and function beautifully besides fitting me very well.

The one Kimber Talkeetna that I have seen locally (SW) was $1999. It was sweet but damm, thats a lot of coin, I would really need to use it for an all arounder to justify buying it, and I am not a big fan of the 375 H&H.

I can get them for about $1650 shipped at dealers cost. For $2k I think I would just go custom but then you have a 6 month wait at least. Let me know if anyone wants one. I may be able to get a group buy deal.

Default My 2 cents

I have owned a fair number of Kimber rifles (8 total, mostly Montanas). I have seen a lot of the internet speculation and heard the range rantings and gunshop gossip about the alledged inaccuracy and feeding problems of Kimbers adnauseam. Usually the source was a vocal sample of one or hearsay. I will say it again in my limited experience, Kimbers are fine rifles (even though I don't presently have one in my safe). I guess you could say I am a fan of Kimbers. The Talkeetna model appears to be a good rifle with many features ideal for an all weather hunting rifle. That being said, I would not purchase the Kimber Talkeetna for one reason (the price has absolutely nothing to do with it) - it has a blind magazine. To my way of thinking the 375 H&H is a cartridge chambered in a rifle to be utilized for hunting dangerous game. In a blind magazine configuration you can not drop the floorplate or remove a drop box magazine to perform an immediate action drill to clear the firearm malfunction of a jam or overide on the cartridge. Yes, all bolt action rifles whether push feed or controlled round feed have the potential to jam, either because of operator error or mechanical difficulties. Murphy's Law states that this will occur at the most inopportune time. In the heat of the moment the hunter must be able to clear this malfunction and get his rifle back into battery as quickly as possible. For nondangerous game, a rifle with a blind magazine is OK. In fact blind magazines have some positive attributes. YMMV

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Yeah but most Alaskans, and many other NA big game hunters dont use the 375 H&H as a 'Dangerous Game Rifle" like in Africa per say, but more as an all around big game rifle. I personally am fond of blind mags, leaves less chance for error of a floor plate opening, and lightens the weight of the rifle. If I were a 375 guy, I'd say that as an all arounder the Talkeetna is damm hard to beat.

Here is link of one of the few reviews out there that arent in a magazine. Looks like this fella got a good one!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ue#Post2359327

Personally, I believe that 375s aren't required for any game in NA., unless it is a dedicated rifle for Kodiak or AK peninsula BB. If I was contemplating an all rounder one rifle does it all (heaven forbid ) for NA or AK hunting it would definitely be in a cartridge less powerful than the 375 H&H. When you are crawling thru the alders a rifle chambered in a cartridge of this magnitude can give one a feeling of confidence and possibly a bit of insurance. A blind mag belongs on a lightweight mountain rifle. Everything is a trade-off, lightweight, stock rigidity, ease of loading - unloading, etc...etc. Dumping all your rounds with the unintentional opening of the floorplate may be a remote possibility (I haven't had it happen or personally know of it occurring. It would be interesting to see who has real world experienced on a dumped mag and/or a jam.) Are Brown Bears dangerous?

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have never had it happen while hunting but I have owned 2 458's that the floor plate would open on during recoil. One was finally made so it would not open at all and the other I got to work with a little tweaking. Also had a Ruger 308 that would open at any given time.

Yup, and I have seen a lot of guys that duct tape their floor plates too, of course this was learned behavior from previous bad experiences. Shoot I wiped out sheep hunting last year and dinged the crap out of my floor plate face on a Ruger as it took the direct blow of the boulder face I was on. And I was literally thinking to myself, thats why I like blind mags. I do tape the floor plates on my rifles that have floor plates, its cheap insurance!

Duct tape! I wish I would of thought of that. Sure would have been cheaper than the Williams and Sunny Hill bottom metal that I use on the rifles that I actually keep and hunt with. Although none of these are still in stock configuration, they all feature good magazine floorplate catches to avoid the problem of dumping the remaining cartridges. Maybe also, I haven't experienced dropping open a hinged magazine floorplate because I don't shoot rifles of such heavy recoil as 458. I know some dangerous game professionals that actually prefer blind magazines to avoid this problem. Blind mag stocks are manufactured because they are cheaper, lighter, and some prefer them. Debatable whether the lack of floorplate cutout effects strength of the stock or accuracy of the rifle. Wonder why there aren't many serious hunting or tactical rifles with blind mags? To each his own, I find hinged magazine floorplates to be handy and are what I prefer unless it is in a rifle dedicated to the high country than I will go with a blind mag stock for the weight savings alone (as minor as it may be). Sure is great to have choices, as always six of one 1/2 dozen of another. YMMV. Back to the bench.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 01-26-2009 at 12:46. Reason: Spelling

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I've looked at these for a little while and they seem like a pretty good rifle. I've been shooting Kimbers for 7 years and out of a half dozen all shot acceptably. I still own 3 and they all work very well. My .308 Longmaster shoots 165gr Hornady into cloverleaves and everything else under 2 MOA. And some of it much under 2 MOA but as a hunting rig its more than enough.

If I liked the rifle and had the cash I'd go for it and never look back. Your wallet will take a beating like your shoulder though!

I've heard the hot stove talk about Kimber's quality etc, etc going down hill but I've not seen it personally in mine. Of course YMMV.

Default Well now......

The hot stove talk I am hearing is that Kimber quality has improved quite a bit. While each rifle can be its own "animal", the internet and in-person talk I hear is that things are looking up. As alluded here already, the price of a Kimber Montana runs up hard against a spendy custom job at the $3k+ price tag.
    Contrast what you get for the money between the Montana ($1100) and a Rem. Alaska Ti ($1700).

A lot of the Kimber complaints has been related to accuracy and the cause generally attributed to the barrel. The Talkeetna has a Krieger barrel, so that should solve any perceived problems they had.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Smile Blind Magazine

Hi guys. I am looking at purchasing one of these as a good all weather bear gun but I too am annoyed by the blind magazine. Do you think it would be possible to have a good gunsmith that is good at working with syntheitc stock inlet this gun to use a Sunny Hill Oberndorf style floorplate? The stock may have to be reinforced but I thought it may be a neat idea. What do you guys think? Do you know anyone that could do this if it is possible?

Smile Kimber Talkeetna

Hi, from new guy
    Just got mine on 3/11/09, WOW it's light!
    Some flinch fears, but will not get to find out
    until next week.
    I recognise the Harms name maybe?
    Anyway, Jumped on a cancellation hunt at
    SCI convention for Kodiak Is. BB this fall and
    if I am spending future retirement money
    10 years in advance(still have legs). I choose the KT.
    Good reviews led me to it.
    Raingear question, Rubber, Gortex, Other?
    Grew up in Idaho so I am no stranger to
    hunting and sh%&#@ty weather but not Alaska.
    Hope the forum will help guide me.
    The KT jumps to my shoulder an the NE sights are right
    there. Scopes TBD. Any help would be great from AK.
    I am a working guy and not rich, Hunt of a lifetime.
    Thanks,
    Pete

Smile choices

Those Kimbers are good looking rifles. If I was going to spend close to 2,000 on a .375 I would much rather have a Mod. 70 trigger, so I would find a good used CRF Mod. 70. About the only thing I dislike about the Mod. 70 in .375 is the barrel contour. I think it is to big around. I don't want a blind magazine on my Alaskan rifle as I want to be able to dump all the rounds out the bottom to clear the magazine if needed. Not all magazine floor plates are created equal. I have been using Mod. 70 magazine rifles for over 40 years with no problems. My customized Mod. 70 sits in one of Mark Basners HiTech stocks and has Ted Blackburns drop floor plate trigger guard assembly. It is a beautifully made one piece unit that allows 4 rounds to be loaded in the magazine. I have a hard time picturing it opening by accident. I guese if a guy was making up a ultra light rifle a blind magazine might save some weight. Some guys like them. To each their own!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast