Thread: Tundra Camo

Default Tundra Camo

I didn't want to hijack the other camo thread so I thought I would start my own.

How many people on here have hunted the tundra and in pictures you look great in your camo clothing.

Yet if you look at your friends when they are 300 yards out there they all of a sudden look like a black stick?

I am trying to figure out how to avoid that "black stick" look.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Bright yellow or the blue like the sky?

This year on our float hunt I will experiment with pictures but am wondering if anyone has a jumpstart on me and already has my answer.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/...80862d.jpg?v=0

What I did, is take my old used up Carhartt browns, that have washed so many times they are a faded buff color. Take can of cheap red barn paint and brush "Y" shaped lines. Let it dry, and add flat white "Y" shaped lines and a few "O" shaped lines. Light buff- flat white & flat red. Keep it simple.

Most of my buildings are barn red, or forest green. So I started with those colors, but discovered there is not much green in the fall in Alaska, lots of Red (blueberry leaves) and a surprising amount of white (Lichens), on a buff (Dead Grass) back round.

What is funny is that clients would want to buy my old Carhartt Rags, or trade nice stuff for them. It helped that I would sew on a APHA badge.

I think the Cabelas Outfitter camo works pretty well.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Not a very good angle, but you get the idea. I bought these cover-alls for $10, and they've been the best camo I have ever found. They're excellent in the rocks at the top of a mountain and on the Tundra. I was told by many people up on the Haul Road that I disappeared out there, while they could easily pick out every other hunter. These camos have gotten even better as they have faded to more of a gray-ish color.

I am not sure how to put this; The human eye detects color, shapes and also absorbs Ultraviolet to some extent to distinguish those colors. Deer, Moose, Caribou for this explanation have a rod shape nerve in there eye which aides in the detection of movement and gives them the ability to see in the darkness of night, and also see objects or clothing that absorbes UV, such as bleached cotton and then is dyed specific colors; blue stands out like a glow stick to them to put it in words to understand, hunter orange is percieved grey, green may look brighter, and so on. The real trick is to treat your camo clothing in a solution which blocks the UV absorbing properties of the clothing. It also breaks up the body of the person who wears the camo and aides in blending in the environment of the tundra or woods. Most store bought detergents in this day have brighterners which enhances colors of the clothing for the Human eye and is not a good source of helping the hunter to blend in with the natural hunting environment because of the UV brighteners in the detergent. Go get some hunters laundry soap and treat the clothing to help block the UV the clothing may have. Or if buying hunting clothing, some may be treated for use from the UV already, just dont use your regular soap to clean it, again use the sports laundry soap for the Hunters clothing.

nowadays with the "camo of the month" program is is easy to get caught up in the most current trends. some of them are obsolete before they hit the shelves. the magazine ads would have you believe only (brand X) pattern will work for you. BALONY!

many camo patterns are "too tight"........even though up close they show a lot of detail, at a distance the color is black.

look for more open patterns in colors appropriate to the hunt area. use your camo to complement natural surroundings, like trees, brush, rocks etc. your outline (as a preditor) when confused with available cover will
    give you the edge needed.

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mossy Oak "Brush" is probably one of the best Alaskan camos. I know that Mossy Oak Breakup is worthless..might as well be wearing all black.

I still haven't shot an animal wearing camo. I always seem to be in my black fleece jacket...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am thinking a bright yellow jacket

I've got some pictures I'll post where my friends were playing "Where's Waldo"? with me wearing ASAT.
    Now what ?

Default Tundra camo.

Old faded Carhartts and some yellow paint. Add some touches of red for GP, but not really needed...

Default Shadows are tough

to defeat. Notice in the pictures shown above that they are all facing the sun or nearly so which makes all the clothing brighter and more "camo-like". I noticed a couple years ago that when the sun is behind someone what you see of that person is black because what YOU see of them is in the shadow. Since then I bought some lighter camo, the Mossy Oak Brush
    and a hunting partner told me that it helps significantly but isn't perfect. I guess shadows are shadows. Anyway, if the prey is backlit, you are probably better off than if the sun is behind you a bit, unless its right behind you and blinding to the prey.

Blair

Check out Sitka Gear's new Opti-fade. It was created to look like "nothing" at a distance. I looked it over at the trade shows and was impressed. It was made with mountainous places like AK in mind.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Default Outfitter Camo

The attached picture shows my wife (kneeling behind the spotting scope) and two friends while glassing for caribou on the North Slope. While I don't know what camo patterns Ted and Cliff are wearing Trish's outfitter camo pattern (Sleeping Indian Wool pants and shirt) appears to blend better with the tundra foliage than the patterns that Ted and Cliff are wearing.

WhiteFish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Mossy Oak "Brush" is probably one of the best Alaskan camos.

X2 on the Mossy Oak "Brush" , looks just like the tundra
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default Carhartts

On my 1st trip up the haul road I seen a group of Caribou with 3 hunters around them all wearing the usual green camo, they stuck out and the Caribou seen their every move, it wasnt until they ran off that I seen the guy wearing Carhartts stand up and I've been using them ever since. I added a couple of slashes of rust red paint to mine. My only problem now is other hunters busting in on my stalk, because they don't see me.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default UA Digi?

Anyone out there try any of the Under Armour stuff in that UA Digital print that they have?