Thread: Shrimpbait.

Default Shrimpbait.

OK...I went and saw the Potbuilder and spent a little time chatting with him about shrimping and came away with some really good information. You can tell he knows his stuff. And I got a new shrimp pot and some line for said pot. I think I have a good idea how to find some shrimp, just need to get out there and start dropping pots. But I would like to know what some of you guys are doing for bait. What are you using. Thanks.dirt

Default Shrimp Bait

If you were at Steves, why didn't you get some of the bait he offers? The only thing I have found that works better is a whole Eagle stuffed in the bait box and next to that an Eider is pretty good also but it makes me nervous when I use the high profile bait so I stick with Steves pellets. No pucker factor and lot's of shrimp!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    If you were at Steves, why didn't you get some of the bait he offers? The only thing I have found that works better is a whole Eagle stuffed in the bait box and next to that an Eider is pretty good also but it makes me nervous when I use the high profile bait so I stick with Steves pellets. No pucker factor and lot's of shrimp!

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    He couldn't get any bait from me cause i haven't received this years shipment yet, its only january!! When we get together for breakfast you gotta tell me how you get a whole eagle to walk into one of my pots bait cages See ya when you get off work.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Chopped Herring & Tuna In Oil

Get an old blender from a yard sale - chop herring, tuna packed in oil, and some cat food (seafood varity) and blend. Add three tablespoons of cooking oil and freeze in blocks or sealed bait jars. You can also freeze in heavy ziplocs and then place small holes in them right before you launch the pots. YUM- YUM
    If the shrimp are there you will have results in about four hours. If not move on.

Talking

Thanks fishnut. That does sound yummy! Thanks again Steve.
    I just want to know of a variety. I dont leave the docks with just one lure, or one kind of bait. I like a variety to chose from. no different for the shrimp'n.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Hi Mike,
    He couldn't get any bait from me cause i haven't received this years shipment yet, its only january!! When we get together for breakfast you gotta tell me how you get a whole eagle to walk into one of my pots bait cages See ya when you get off work.

It's easy, you have to stuff it into an Eagle Press first to compact it into a nice small cube!!!!!
    Now trying to get a whole whooping crane into one of them thar pots is a challenge!!!!!

I've often wondered if you put a fish carcass inside a pot, do you need to tie it to the center so that it stays away from the sides? I'm thinking that if you just throw it in and when your pot's soaking and the carcass is up against the side of the pot then the shrimp can feed on the carcass from the outside (through the mesh) and have no reason to try to get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I've often wondered if you put a fish carcass inside a pot, do you need to tie it to the center so that it stays away from the sides? I'm thinking that if you just throw it in and when your pot's soaking and the carcass is up against the side of the pot then the shrimp can feed on the carcass from the outside (through the mesh) and have no reason to try to get inside.
    Bingo!! we have a winner

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking

You sure know how to make a guy spit his hot coffee.. Eagles, Eiders dam, and I thought the hawk and falcon trainers did well. Got to hand it to ya, thats a first> Keep up the great humor.