Thread: Considering trading my Handgun but Need Input.

Default Considering trading my Handgun but Need Input.

OK, I have a friend who wants to trade his Taurus Millennium 45 for my Ruger P95 9mm. I don't know too much about guns but do you guys think its a good trade for my handgun? Anyone have any experience with it? Its kind of small while mine is pretty chunky. Good to conceal carry, but his gun only comes with only one mag. My P95 comes with the standard two 10 round mags and a long 27 round mag.

He want to make a trade today so any input will be great. I did a research and found that the value was about the same except mine has extra mags.

Also, how would I go about making the trade? Do I need to go to any FFL licensed dealer or can I just write up a detailed Bill of Sale with the Date/His/My Name/Address/ Phone Number/ AK ID/License number etc..

Thanks

A friend of mine had one. He tried to take a defensive pistol class with it. The recoil had a nasty habit of causing his hand to hit the mag release, dropping the magazine while he was trying to engage targets. I shot his pistol a few times and so did one of the instructors and we both had the same problem, so it was not isolated to him. He ended up finishing the class with my Sig P220 which I brought as a spare. He eventually traded it in for a Springfield XD. I have also known others that have had different Taurus pistols that had problems with the key lock engaging while shooting, locking the slide in place and causing a malfunction that cannot easily be cleared.

I would say do not do it. Now I am not a huge fan of the P95, but it's a Ruger so you know the quality is there. Taurus has a spotty reputation. Some of them seem to be just fine, and more than few seems to be of poor quality. It's a gamble on your part. If you still want to make the trade, do yourself a favor and run a couple hundred rounds through it before you make it final.

Default Trade

Keep the Ruger even though it is a 9mm.

Yeah, I know the Ruger is super reliable. Just the other day, I shot 150 round through it and there was not one jam. I shot the 27 round clip slowly, no jam, then I shot the 27 round again rapidly and still no jam. I am reconsidering the trade no. Any more inputs will help.

Thanks

Default Trading Guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee04 View Post
    OK, I have a friend who wants to trade his Taurus Millennium 45 for my Ruger P95 9mm. I don't know too much about guns but do you guys think its a good trade for my handgun? Anyone have any experience with it? Its kind of small while mine is pretty chunky. Good to conceal carry, but his gun only comes with only one mag. My P95 comes with the standard two 10 round mags and a long 27 round mag.

He want to make a trade today so any input will be great. I did a research and found that the value was about the same except mine has extra mags.

Also, how would I go about making the trade? Do I need to go to any FFL licensed dealer or can I just write up a detailed Bill of Sale with the Date/His/My Name/Address/ Phone Number/ AK ID/License number etc..

Thanks
    You have three questions in one there.

The friendship relationship question.

The Value of the trade question

The Legal question.

Legal: When I was investigating selling a gun to a stranger, I called APD and the Troopers and BATF to ask advice. Without remembering details, the gist of what I got was that private sales are just that, private. But a bill of sale, signed by both parties (with both parties keeping a copy), protects both parties. The more identifying data the better. Serial Number of the gun(s), model(s) and make and generatl descriptions, Social Security numbers of the parties, Drivers License numbers and names. More is better. And the date, of course.

Value. The guns seem to be about equal in book value as you have found, but my Fjestad's book I used for reference is two years old and any such book is only a vague guide. Local market conditions carry much more weight. Also, I don't know what finish either gun has, stainless, blue, what? The trade seems a little uneven because of the magazines, though. Mags are not cheap ($25 to $75 would be my guess, but that is just a guess). Your friend maybe should find a couple of mags for you or kick in sufficient cash. If he does sweeten with cash (because he is your friend, see "psychology" below, do not spend the money on anything but spare magazines, which would be a good idea anyway.)

The relationship? I have had two friends to whom I have given guns. My father once refused to sell a house to a friend of his because he believed business between friends risks spoiling the friendship. How would each of you feel if, after the trade (and money negotiations, if there are any) if either of you felt like the trade was not perfectly "even". Or if either of the guns malfunctioned later, or if after living with it for a while, buyer's remorse set in, or worse, seller's remorse? Could it put a cloud over the friendship? The answer to that depends on your two personalities (and that reflects nothing on the quality of your friendship), but could affect the friendship.

Psychology is even more complex than ballistics. My advice: Take both guns to a gunshop and pay $20 to have the shop owner make an informal appraisal of the guns, with the understanding that you will not hold him responsible for anything. Make up the difference in cash and never think about the swap again.

All the foregoing amateur lawyering, appraisal and psychology are worth exactly what you paid for it, more or less.

Go with God. Be Happy.

Lost Sheep.

P.S.

By the way, I owned a P89 9mm for a short time. I didn't like it much. Safety was on the slide and I am uneasy about the whole hammer-dropping safety thing anyway. I lower my hammers gently, with my thumb or fingers. My Millenium .45, though, I like a lot. Except I hate the way it takes down. But it does have a safety where God and John Moses Browning intended - on the frame. Main thing is, the gun points well for me. I can hit with it.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.