Thread: Flies?

Default Flies?

Need some advice on flies for Little Willow Creek. Brother is avid fly fisherman and is coming this August. Wants to get Rainbows, Grayling and some silvers. Who has the magic pattern for him?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

First post and joined the forum 2.5 years ago? Dang. Welcome man

Get more active on the forum.

For flies, my basic standbys for dollies and grayling are purple esl with pink head, beadhead woolly bugger olive, battle creek special and polar shrimp (in the fall), black esl with orange head if chum are present, and purple esl with pink head and some purple esl with pink heads.

This works for me on dollies and grayling without exception. Doubt the bows would turn their nose up at it.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

beads......
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default beads

I agree with the beads. At that time of year, all I carry is my bead box, and a small fly box with a few flesh patterns.

Jake

Beads for trout and grayling, big flashy flies for the silvers!!

Yes I know, I am not too much of a talker. Just read alot and take in the knowledge that so many of you have and share. It is really mind blowing the extent of knowledge that a mass of outdoorsmen have. Kinda makes me feel somewhat timid in joining in; but, i will asert myself.
    Thanks all for the info, I am sure he will appreciate it alot.

For the sake of conversation, if your bro wanted to use something besides beads try a flesh fly (ginger or tan) with a hot pink collar (one wrap of pink rabbit) or an egg-head flesh fly (either hot bead or globug yarn in light pink for the egg). They can really do the trick for silvers when they're snubbing the traditional flashy flies, and bows and grayling will hit 'em too.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper_Rich View Post
    Yes I know, I am not too much of a talker. Just read alot and take in the knowledge that so many of you have and share. It is really mind blowing the extent of knowledge that a mass of outdoorsmen have. Kinda makes me feel somewhat timid in joining in; but, i will asert myself.
    Thanks all for the info, I am sure he will appreciate it alot.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum, Rich! No one will rough you up too bad if you talk out of line. My name is Rich, too, by the way.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    For the sake of conversation, if your bro wanted to use something besides beads try a flesh fly (ginger or tan) with a hot pink collar (one wrap of pink rabbit) or an egg-head flesh fly (either hot bead or globug yarn in light pink for the egg). They can really do the trick for silvers when they're snubbing the traditional flashy flies, and bows and grayling will hit 'em too.

Wyo is dead on about the flesh flies. I have had more than one silver smack them fishing on several different streams here in south central. also I like to carry a few Bead head princess nymphs. Something different late in the year. They have produced fish for me many times. Just my .02
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight