Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought It - 358Win Ruger Hawkeye - It's Done

Default Bought It - 358Win Ruger Hawkeye - It's Done

I will hopefully have my 358 Winchester Ruger Hawkeye in about a week and once I get it and set it up I will post pictures of the rifle and the load work. I want to focus on two bullet weights and two specific bullets but open to other suggestions on bullets to use. First I will try 225gr Sierra Game King and Partition and later the 250gr Partition. The 225gr for all around use especially on deer, hogs, black bear, elk and moose and the 250 Partition on Brown if I get the chance.

I have some loads from some of you guys and friends who are getting 2500 - 2550fps with the 225gr and good accuracy. Should be fun working with the 358Win. I always do have fun at the reloading bench and the bench at the range, then fun in the woods and field seeing how my work will pay off.

Any of you who have some favorite loads that have not yet posted any of your favorite 358Win loads using 225gr or 250gr bullets that you have found to be accurate showing good velocities and would share them with me I would appreciate it. This would really help me hold down the time and the cost of load development.

I have in the past on this forum only posted my final work and did not post the trip on the way to the final good load. So no one saw my bumpy road and pit falls in obtaining my good hunting loads that I have posted in the past and might have thought, "this guy sure is lucky". Well, I plan on posting "The Good", The Bad", and "The Ugly" with this cartridge finishing with "The Good" hopefully. Thank you, pictures coming soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up a good one....

I have always liked, but never used the .358 Winchester. It should prove to be a "lot of bang for the buck"! I once bought a Dakota 76 rifle chambered in .358 Winchester from a guy I knew. Paid 600.00 bucks for it, no kidding. Was a beautiful rifle in all respects. After he came to his senses I let him have it back and he sold it to some one else. Woe is me. I hope to get one in a pre-64 Mod. 70 some day. Have fun!

Congratulations bt...it is always nice to add something new to the collection.

Best of luck in your load development.

The 358 Win and the 356 Win are pretty much the same round correct? I have a Win Model 94 in 356 Win and it is a great little rifle. It has killed many deer and also several black bears.

Ruger bolt actions to me are the Jeep Wrangler of rifles. They last forever and when you scratch them up or ding them is seems to add character to the rifle. I am not go to put an expensive scope on but thought I would put the Jeep Wrangler of scopes on it because it is roughed and I really like them and get a lot for the money spent.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Hawk bullets

BT, have you tried Hawk bullets? I shoot a 358 Win BLR, and currently have some Hawks on order. The info is interesting, the reports positive, and I'm looking forward to trying them. They have a pretty good selection of weights for the 358. The link is: http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm

Enjoy the Ruger!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    BT, have you tried Hawk bullets? I shoot a 358 Win BLR, and currently have some Hawks on order. The info is interesting, the reports positive, and I'm looking forward to trying them. They have a pretty good selection of weights for the 358. The link is: http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm

Enjoy the Ruger!
    Thank you, I am familiar with them and use some about five years ago in my 06. They leave a great wound channel and they are perfect for the velocities I will be pushing my bullets. Thanks for reminding me because I had not even thought of them lately.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Thank you, I am familiar with them and use some about five years ago in my 06. They leave a great wound channel and they are perfect for the velocities I will be pushing my bullets. Thanks for reminding me because I had not even thought of them lately.
    The 250 grain Hawk with the heavy jacket (.035?) is real impressive at 358 velocities. I put WW 748 behind mine with great happiness. I've been using WW 748 under the 225 Noslers. Big smiles there, too.

BTW- In my book the Leupold 1.5 x 5 is the PERFECT scope for a 358.

You get the blued or stainless model? Congrats on the new rifle. I've thought about owning the stainless model a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The 250 grain Hawk with the heavy jacket (.035?) is real impressive at 358 velocities. I put WW 748 behind mine with great happiness. I've been using WW 748 under the 225 Noslers. Big smiles there, too.

BTW- In my book the Leupold 1.5 x 5 is the PERFECT scope for a 358.
    BrownBrear, I have after research and received comments decided one of the powders that will get a real good work out will be WW748. Yes, I know a 1.5x5 Leupold would be perfect, but I will be one that stretches the legs of this 358 and believe that it will be not only be a close up thumper but a legitimate 300yd rifle with the 225gr bullet. Besides I have killed a lot of game up close on 3 power and I mean up close. Thank you for the info on the Hawk Heavy jacket 250gr bullet and also the Nosler 225gr bullet. I was concerned about the Nosler Partition giving good accuracy. You know how I am on accuracy, infact I demand it of the rifle and me. Of course this Ruger not being a custom I will settle for a hunting load that is an inch and under on a consistent bases with this cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You get the blued or stainless model? Congrats on the new rifle. I've thought about owning the stainless model a time or two.
    Matt, I am getting the Blued/Walnut version of this rifle. I have enough man made stocks to last me the rest of my life on my other rifles. I will seal the wooden stock when I get it and use Tri-Flow as my lubricant and weather seal when it is wet and damp or raining. Alaska is not the only place where most of the hunting season can be wrap in rain and dampness. Most of our hunting season is that way and most of my hunting ends up in a swamp or wet country side.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BrownBrear, I have after research and received comments decided one of the powders that will get a real good work out will be WW748. Yes, I know a 1.5x5 Leupold would be perfect, but I will be one that stretches the legs of this 358 and believe that it will be not only be a close up thumper but a legitimate 300yd rifle with the 225gr bullet. Besides I have killed a lot of game up close on 3 power and I mean up close. Thank you for the info on the Hawk Heavy jacket 250gr bullet and also the Nosler 225gr bullet. I was concerned about the Nosler Partition giving good accuracy. You know how I am on accuracy, infact I demand it of the rifle and me. Of course this Ruger not being a custom I will settle for a hunting load that is an inch and under on a consistent bases with this cartridge.
    I'm betting the Nosler 225's are going to shoot just a little better than the Hawks, or at least they do in my rifles. The Hawks are usually 1.5" bullets rather than sub-1" in my one scoped 358 (a bolt), but I can't aim as precisely with the two that have peep sights. Just a general observation, though less an issue with the bigger bores.

I'll be interested in how you like the handling of that rifle with the bigger scope. Not so much a power issue as a weight and balance issue, I opt for the 1.5x5 or something similar on most of my rifles with 22 inch or shorter barrels. I've never felt handicapped on big game at any range with lower powers, maybe because I "grew up" with old M-70's in 06 and 270, both mounted with the old external adjust Lyman Alaskan 2x. Last deer I recall whacking with that bolt 358 was somewhere around 250 yards, and I didn't even think to crank the scope up from 1.5x. Come to think of the details of the shot, I didn't really have time. Kinda proud of that quick shot on a moving deer, but that's another story too long for a busy morning.

I'm betting the Nosler 225's are going to shoot just a little better than the Hawks, or at least they do in my rifles. The Hawks are usually 1.5" bullets rather than sub-1" in my one scoped 358 (a bolt), but I can't aim as precisely with the two that have peep sights. Just a general observation, though less an issue with the bigger bores.

I'll be interested in how you like the handling of that rifle with the bigger scope. Not so much a power issue as a weight and balance issue, I opt for the 1.5x5 or something similar on most of my rifles with 22 inch or shorter barrels. I've never felt handicapped on big game at any range with lower powers, maybe because I "grew up" with old M-70's in 06 and 270, both mounted with the old external adjust Lyman Alaskan 2x. Last deer I recall whacking with that bolt 358 was somewhere around 250 yards, and I didn't even think to crank the scope up from 1.5x. Come to think of the details of the shot, I didn't really have time. Kinda proud of that quick shot on a moving deer, but that's another story too long for a busy morning.
    Hey, I have made shots like that and still proud of them, I just reacted and the deer were down, I know that feeling of accomplishment. It only happens because we shoot a lot, hold our rifles, know them inside and out and when that moment comes the subconscious just takes over and the game is in the bag.

I have a Fullfield II and it gives my ruger Mk II in 300Win mag a balanced feel. It is not to long nor to heavy and compliments the balance of the rifle. It will not be an issue with me.

I have found the Hawk bullets to not be MOA bullets at all. In my 06 even though I tried them on game and they preformed in my opinion like the Barnes originals use to in reference to wound channel the Hawk were not satisfying when it came to accuracy, at least for me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have found the Hawk bullets to not be MOA bullets at all. In my 06 even though I tried them on game and they preformed in my opinion like the Barnes originals use to in reference to wound channel the Hawk were not satisfying when it came to accuracy, at least for me.
    Same here on the Hawks. Comparison with the original Barnes is a compliment!

In your original post you specified 225 and heavier, and I forgot to throw this in: The Hornady 200 spires are super accurate in my CG boltgun, with the kind of accuracy you're looking for. And they're stone killers on deer. From what I can see by the wound channels (never recovered one), they're holding together real well- surprisingly well at close ranges, even. I've never pushed velocities and pressures over book max, but it seems like the faster they go, the tighter they shoot. I'd add them to your test list.

Same here on the Hawks. Comparison with the original Barnes is a compliment!

In your original post you specified 225 and heavier, and I forgot to throw this in: The Hornady 200 spires are super accurate in my CG boltgun, with the kind of accuracy you're looking for. And they're stone killers on deer. From what I can see by the wound channels (never recovered one), they're holding together real well- surprisingly well at close ranges, even. I've never pushed velocities and pressures over book max, but it seems like the faster they go, the tighter they shoot. I'd add them to your test list.
    You know in my beginning preparations for my load development, I wondered about the 200gr Hornady's but I have not liked them in my other rifles but only used them in my 7mm mag, 7mmSTW and my 30-06 and 300Wby. They did not give me what I wanted in accuracy but other of my friends like them. I will certainly consider it because that would increase my range just a little on deer and a 200gr bullet out to 300yds is still a lot of punch.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Is there a place in the 358Win even though I can't find load data for Accurate 2495 and WW760???? I know that Accurate 2495 has been used in 308 for 150, 165, 180 and 190gr bullets. What is you all take on these two powders. 2495 for the 225gr and 760 for the 250gr????? Also, what about H380?

Really trying to assemble powder for working with the 358Win.

List so far is as follows their order is random:

WW748
    IMR3031
    Varget
    IMR4895
    IMR4320
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Don't forget the TAC.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Don't forget the TAC.

I won't just need to purchase some.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Ruger bolt actions to me are the Jeep Wrangler of rifles. They last forever and when you scratch them up or ding them is seems to add character to the rifle. I am not go to put an expensive scope on but thought I would put the Jeep Wrangler of scopes on it because it is roughed and I really like them and get a lot for the money spent.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm
    Just put one of these on my new 300 weatherby last week (I know sacralage) its a great scope crystal clear and rugged. I also have a Ruger and this year it was loved and charished. I cleaned it this weekend and realized just how hard I hunted with it this year. I love it when ever ding and scratch carries a story.

Is there a place in the 358Win even though I can't find load data for Accurate 2495 and WW760???? I know that Accurate 2495 has been used in 308 for 150, 165, 180 and 190gr bullets. What is you all take on these two powders. 2495 for the 225gr and 760 for the 250gr????? Also, what about H380?

Really trying to assemble powder for working with the 358Win.

List so far is as follows their order is random:

WW748
    IMR3031
    Varget
    IMR4895
    IMR4320
    I started to list 760, but frankly haven't bought any in so long I wasn't sure it was available. My Winnie 88 really likes it under the Speer 250, but the load was getting pretty compressed before I ever got near max pressures. Never did chrono it and quit the load when I finished a box of the Speers. No Idea on the 2495. 3031 is a fine performer in all my guns, but 748 was a little better and a whole lot easier to meter. I do prefer 3031 over all other powders in this with RCBS cast 200 grain FNGC's. Okay, I'm lazy. Though I'm a fan of 4320, I never got it to match 748 for velocity or accuracy with any bullet. Never tried 4895 or Varget, though a friend swears by Varget, and if I recall correctly, H322. If I recall correctly without looking it up (again, lazy), didn't Ken Waters get good results with H322 in his tests?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast