Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Down Rigger Rod for Salmon

Default Best Down Rigger Rod for Salmon

I Need reccomendations for Salmon Downrigger Rods. I am looking for something comparable to an Ugly Stik. I have 4 of them that we use for trout. Since 2 of them will be for my kids, DURABILITY as well as flexability is what I am looking for. I like a long rod 9' But I can not find a 9' Ugly Stik. What are the Charter boats using?
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Default Cabelas Downrigger Combos

Usually this time of year Cabelas has some specials on there downrigger combos. I have used them and found they are very good. I like the ones that combine the linecounter reels for the whole package.

Default well I use

Pretty sure the rods are shakespeare, they are 2 piece 8 1/2' IM6 graphite, I've got ambassador 5500's on them, they have worked great for me. I've had them for probably 7-8 years, reels need a little work, I've actually used them to jig for halibut too, pretty fun, but they've held up really well. Total cost then at least was like $120.

Default Downrigger Rods

Go online looking for Shimano TDR series rods. I bought a pair several years ago and even shipped to Alaska the total for 2 was under $100.

There are several models specifically designed for "downrigger" "dipsy diver" etc, and they can be had in the longer length too.

Mike

Default innerflow rods

You cant go wrong with the cabelas depthmaster innerline trolling rods. Ive used them for years and never broken on on a fish. They eliminate line wraps around the tips as your lowering your cannonball. Matter of fact caught 3 25-30 pound kings today on them.

I looked at the the cabelas depthmaster innerline trolling rods on their website.Not a very good picture of them but, What a great idea. It looks as if the line threads through the rod so as to apply even pressure on the blank. I think that I will order one and try it out. I am thinking of trying th medum or medum heavy action. what rod are you using for Kings and Silvers?
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

I've been running 6' one piece ugly sticks for years. I don't have the model number available, but they are really light and responsive. It takes a bit more skill, but they are a great fight with a big King. I like the shorter length because it is easier to set up the downrigger and check the roll. The one piece is much more responsive than the two piece.

Default Base access

If you have base access, the PX/BX carries the 9' uglies whenthey start carrying the bigger supplies of fishing gear. I bought 5 of them last year for our household @ $60 each. They were 9' medium action 2 piece Ugly Sticks. I bought them there because I didn't want to wait. Otherwise I could have saved about $10 each if I would have had bought them through my sporting goods buddy but would have had to wait up to 3 weeks for the order to get here.

Ugly Stick Tiger... Even makes a medium sized chum salmon fun to play with... They're just about fool proof as far as handling the fish for you, and they're what you'll find on most charters here in Juneau.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, while we're on the topic of rods for salmon, I've been looking for a good 10-12' "noodle" rod to use playing with the spring kings and my new centrepin reel (think Canadian "knucklebuster" with no drag except your tuke!)

At those lengths, the rod would need to be at least a 2-piece... Any ideas?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Hey, while we're on the topic of rods for salmon, I've been looking for a good 10-12' "noodle" rod to use playing with the spring kings and my new centrepin reel (think Canadian "knucklebuster" with no drag except your tuke!)

At those lengths, the rod would need to be at least a 2-piece... Any ideas?

-Case
    Plenty of ideas Case how many monies you gots?

Give me an idea and I will give you a bunch of options.

Who got you into pin fishing?
    When I first came to Alaska 6 years ago I was an anomoly until I started spanking the locals.
    Last year saw the largest increase in CP's spotted on the river so far.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default for big fish

I use a stiff 10footer Buzz Ramsey from berkley, it allows you to pull your rod tip around those long downrigger booms when the fish decides to go to the other side of the boat. With this stiff rod you need mono mainline as the mono has a little bit of stretch, giving you some reaction time before the line snaps. We also land those damb halibut while trolling so it is nice to have that stiff rod to bring it in for a quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Plenty of ideas Case how many monies you gots?

Give me an idea and I will give you a bunch of options.

Who got you into pin fishing?
    When I first came to Alaska 6 years ago I was an anomoly until I started spanking the locals.
    Last year saw the largest increase in CP's spotted on the river so far.
    There was an article in Fish Alaska last year about the 4 stages every angler goes through. The article talks about:
    "Stage 1 is to catch a fish. Stage 2 is to catch lots of fish. Stage 3 is to catch the biggest fish, and Stage 4 is to catch the most challenging fish."
    I guess I've been through all 4 stages, and now I'm giving all 4 stages a second go, with a twist... let's do the 4 stages with "anomalous" gear....

I had a couple from BC on the Can Can last year who brought their own gear. They were pin fishing. When we got to talking about it, they mentioned the no drag part. Just as we were talking about it, a large king hit, and I asked the guy, "so now what... how you gonna slow that freight train down?" He pulled off his tuke and began palming the spool... it looked like a terribly fun fight, hence my interest...

That, and for my late May cruise from Juneau to Seattle, I figured I'd try to "blend in" as well as possible on my way down... ;-)

Budget? I'm a believer in the idea that if you're gonna buy a toy it should be just about the best you can get. Then again, if I spend any more money on fish gear this spring my wife might finally leave me, so let's say middle of the road for this project... I don't want to buy entry level junk, but the wife should be cool with the idea too... (I do have a birthday that went by in December that missed its gift, so maybe I've got some leeway there too!)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was actually expecting to read this and see no one recommending the cabelas depth master rod/reels. I have two that I have caught a few kings trolling with and they have been great. I have to admit that I was surprised how well they worked considering I got them free when I purchased my downriggers.

I would also look into Vance's rods. http://www.vancestackle.com/other.html . I have the lighter weight version for trolling lakes for trout, Cutthroat, etc. I've even caught a few lakers and some 8lb cutthroat with it. Anyway, that rod has to be my very favorite. What a great rod. He also makes a heavier weight rod as well. For ocean fishing salmon etc. The great thing about it is the eyes rap around the rod so that the line takes a natural trajectory. Also, the rods have a ton of play and feel to them. They are great for playing big fish. Anyway, they have to be one of my favorite rods to fish with.

Although, I have to admit, as I bought better gear, my fishing luck went down. Go figure.

Default TDR - no, US Tiger - yes

I have been using a Shimano TDR for a couple years and it is on its last leg. most of the guides are cracking, and with braided line the tip guide is getting a notch. A little too heavy of action for how I prefer to fish too. My Ugly Stick Tigers are holding up much better and just feel better in my hands, and has a more appropriate action for how i fish.

As a thought, check out Okuma's new Convector rod line. I just got 2 of them to try this year and I am impressed. But our fishing is on the great lakes. The action is right and the price is right.

Mark

Thought I would see if there are any newer opinions as I am looking for a couple new rods for down rigger trolling. I feel I want a heavier rod and a longer rod. I have a lot of out of State family that visit and sometimes they can abuse the equipment. So some durability is good too.

I've had both 9' and 10.5' rods on the boat for the last 4 years, moving back and forth a lot between trolling and mooching. The 10.5's have ended up getting the most downrigger time in the last couple of years. They just work out better all around.

Not going to recommend a brand because there are so many out there. But whatever you're looking at, have a good look at the longer versions of the particular brand and model.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Ugly sticks and Abu Garcia reels can't be beat and if they are they don't break.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast