Thread: Relocating Shooting Inventory

Default Relocating Shooting Inventory

In the near future I will be moving to Fairbanks from Oklahoma. What shooting components or items should I ensure I have an ample supply of before moving north? Due to recent changes in political leadership I have dramatically increased my reloading component inventory. The Army will move all but my powder and primers, which brings me to a second question. What difficulty, if any, should I prepare for when crossing the Canadian border with pounds of powder and primers mixed in with select household goods?

OK,
    Unfortunatley I just moved the other way. You can check the archives and also canadian firearms/explosives laws. I think it is 2,000 rounds of ammunition or equivalent components. I printed the rules of the internet and had them ready if challenged at customs. I shipped all my weapons, and declared the ammo and reloading stuff at the border.

Good Luck!
    WBY

Default Only 2000 rds equivalent

2000 rds equivalent isn't much powder or primers - 10 to 15 lbs max and a couple of bricks of primers.

Did you get into a hassle at the border?

Quote Originally Posted by 340 WBY View Post
    OK,
    Unfortunatley I just moved the other way. You can check the archives and also canadian firearms/explosives laws. I think it is 2,000 rounds of ammunition or equivalent components. I printed the rules of the internet and had them ready if challenged at customs. I shipped all my weapons, and declared the ammo and reloading stuff at the border.

Good Luck!
    WBY
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

When I crossed the border a primer was considered as one round of ammo. They also had a limit on how much powder(lbs) you could bring through Canada. I have crossed the border several times and the best advice I can give you is call the border crossing that you will be using and ask them. They will be the ones you will be dealing with and also right their name down just in case.

Another opition is to ship your powder and primers. Most places would require you to box them seperate but you could drop the boxes off in Washington yourself and save $$$. It might cost extra but atleast you will have something because there is nothing up here to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by OkProf View Post
    In the near future I will be moving to Fairbanks from Oklahoma. What shooting components or items should I ensure I have an ample supply of before moving north? Due to recent changes in political leadership I have dramatically increased my reloading component inventory. The Army will move all but my powder and primers, which brings me to a second question. What difficulty, if any, should I prepare for when crossing the Canadian border with pounds of powder and primers mixed in with select household goods?
    If you can wait until May or so, I'd skip Kanookistan altogether and take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry up from Bellingham, WA. There is a new open water route that requires a boat change in Juneau and crosses the gulf into Prince William Sound docking in Whittier putting you on the road system. I'd stuff as much powder and primers into a vehicle as it can hold before loading it on the boat. Plus you can bring your guns along for the ride too if you wish and enjoy a cruise up the Inside Passage while avoiding Kanookian customs issues eh.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by OkProf View Post
    I know of 2 FFL holders near Fort Richardson (Anchorage) that will receive your guns for free if you’re in the Service. Go to WWW.GunBroker.com and look at the FFL receivers list there for Oklahoma and Alaska then start emailing to see about shipping for people in active service. Be sure you tell them you are in the Army and moving here to serve, not just going on an extended hunting trip. You may be able to get it done for the freight alone. I know I would do it for you free if I had the FFL because you put your life on the line for my freedom! I thank you for your service and our continued freedom.

Happy hunting and welcome to Alaska.
    Andy

Default Relocating

Thank you for the advice. After posting this question I finally got an email response from Canadian customs stating the ammunition limit to be 5,000 rounds. The email continued to state that the quantity of reloading components I would be allowed to transport would be determined upon border inspection. As for the marine highway, the cost makes that route prohibitive.
    My main concern was taking enough product that I could avoid extreme costs; while I still have adequate access to suffecient product at reduced cost. Given the political environment that may be impossible, but that was my hope. For 21 years my father and I have operated a custom gunshop. In that time I have never seen price increases and mad rushes for product like I have over the last three months.

5,000 rounds? I was told you could only bring in 200 rounds of ammo into canada and any more you had to pay tax.