Thread: Place to take my Daughter

Question Place to take my Daughter

I am looking for a place to take my 11 Y.O. Daughter for her first small game hunt. I haven't hunted hares or birds since I was a kid, but want to make it a good first for her. Any one have any thoughts on point Mckenzie area? Any thoughts would be great.

Swanson river road, mystery creek road, petersville road and any other gravel roads you can think of around willow, talkeetna ect. Also check up on some of the spots I let out in the rabbit hunt thread below this. Also if you have hunters ed card then maybe get on Ft. Rich

Default A couple of spots near Wasilla

There are a couple of trailheads off of Schrock road which have produced quite a few birds for me over the years. An ATV is a bonus, but would also be an easy walk.

PM me for directions. If timing is right I could bring my 9 yo daughter along and show you where to go. She has been itching to get after some birds!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The gravel roads around the Talkeetna, Willow and Petersville area contain a significant amount of full time human residents and most of the property along these roads is private. It's often tough to see houses through the woods. Use caution when you hunt these areas. We are being overrun by non local road hunters that have little respect for private property and the locals are getting very vocal and upset about it. I would encourage any hunter that wants to keep this sport alive to stick to public land hunting and quit using the road system for easy small game/bird hunting.

Sutton around Wish bone Mt.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Talkeetna Mountains

Hit Wasilla, go up Lucille and turn left on Seldon, go up a couple mils and cross the Little Su; dirt roads head up the mountains a little and there are Grouse and Rabbits everywhere.

Akdoug has a point. I have had a recreational cabin around willow for 15 years and I know the area around it really well, and the people. It is good advice to watch it around the rural neighborhoods out there. People get pretty grumpy real quick if your not carefull!

Default Grouse like first sunlight

Just after a rain, or the first sunlight in the morning.
    I work up in Caribou Hills and we have a good amount to Hens here. No rabbits, but the Grouse are plentiful. I still see the family groups of 4 or more quite often.
    Swanson river road was mentioned also. I was out there yesterday delivering a Canoe and saw 5 along the road shortly after a little shower had passed and the sun had come out at about 2 pm.
    The Fish and Chips ( Kenai refuge cops) out on Swanson river used to use stuffed Spruce hens to catch the guys that were popping them from the comfort of the car, but I have not seen them do this for a year or so.
    Good luck as it sounds like lots of places to find birds this year.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Hit Wasilla, go up Lucille and turn left on Seldon, go up a couple mils and cross the Little Su; dirt roads head up the mountains a little and there are Grouse and Rabbits everywhere.
    Me and a few guys from my unit were considering headin' up to Hatcher Pass on 24 October for some birds & rabbits but it looks like snow may be an issue. I noticed your postin' about these critters bein' all over the place in your area of Wasilla and was hopin' you might provide a bit more detailed info. Meanin', what areas are you referrin' to as being able to go hunting on? I am totally unfamiliar w/ the Wasilla area and wouldn't want to go on any 'non-hunting' areas.

In addition, if any of y'all could provide other areas close to Anchorage, with directions, I would really appreciate it. I am not too familiar with the area and the only place I've hunted is the Palmer Hay Flats and Rabbit Slough for bunnies. We would like to have a shot at bunnies & birds in the same spot.

Thanks...

Default try Ft Rich

Tex,
    I have heard from a couple people it has been good hunting on Ft Rich. I know you could get both there & it would be a lot shorter trip.

I've heard the same thing, too, but unforntunately not everyone on the team is able to go on Ft. Rich. I was initially planning on Ft. Rich but reckon it's gonna have to wait until this next weekend.

Thanks for answering, AKMarmot