Thread: First King OF YEAR STories-#1-POW

Talking First King OF YEAR STories-#1-POW

Hey guys!
    Something for you guys that are on hard water up north! I spent 4 years In Golovin and loved every minute of it but wet water is nice! We went out today and had a blast. 2 kings a 29 inch legal fish (released-KARMA FISH) and a 27 inch fish both released. Only fished 3 hours or so, brought home some crabs and shrimp for dinner. Let the kings run free. Ain't life grand!?!?!?

Any body else want to post their first king of the year stories??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Awesome

Just awesome!

I'm biting my tongue!! I'm jeleous with rage!!!

Good job man! Any of those kings have a clipped fin? The hatchery fish coming back for the first time this year should be that size.

I hit the kings really hard last winter and did well sportfishing for them. We actually have a very good fishery for winter kings that sportfishermen are just discovering. I'll be out in the next few weeks poking around for some kings as I just put the skiff in the water last week. I run a 19' Pacific Skiff with a Honda if you see me out there.

Good luck!

Sweet Photos. Must be nice to be able to go out on the boat, very sweet man.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Kings around Naukati?

My family has a place close to Naukati. I'll be up there for a while in April. Any POW guys out there willing to give some advice on where to head for some kings? We have never tried it that early but I'd like to give it a shot. Any info would be great!

Default POw

Climbhunter I sent you a PM. Let me know if you want more.

Nicely done - sounds like they have been getting them out of Coffman already as well.

Almost looks like Klawock Inlet along the highway.

Talking Nope!

First picture at Tranquil Point, 2nd looking across from Diamond looking towards Suemez Island and Waterfall Resort

Have you been out toward Santa Cruz or Cape Felix? last summer there were so many fish from 18" to 30" out there that they were a nuisance at times, in 15 years fishing that area, I've never seen so many shakers.

Default Felix

Went toward Felix last weekend. No luck on Kings down there. Caught a couple 20lb. buts. Also saw my first real herring ball of the year. Several whales and a bunch of sea lions hitting it hard. Spring!! Came back in a ways and caught 2 kings one 29" and shaped like a football. First one we have kept this year. Wife insisted we keep "her" fish for dinner Heading out to Addington on Sat.

We are sure having some good luck this Winter on kings. We are up to 7 legal fish caught only going out 1 day per week (and playing more than fishing!). Along with 4 under 28"

I agree about the shakers. Last spring we caught between 20 and 30 kings that were 18" or so at most. It felt like I was back in MT fishing for cutts on the yellowstone.

Wife's fish from last weekend.

And the boat on a pretty morning.
    [IMG]file:///Users/ahorpestad/Desktop/Photo093%231.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/ahorpestad/Desktop/Photo093%231.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SEOceanking View Post
    Hey guys!
    Something for you guys that are on hard water up north! I spent 4 years In Golovin and loved every minute of it but wet water is nice! We went out today and had a blast. 2 kings a 29 inch legal fish (released-KARMA FISH) and a 27 inch fish both released. Only fished 3 hours or so, brought home some crabs and shrimp for dinner. Let the kings run free. Ain't life grand!?!?!?

Any body else want to post their first king of the year stories??
    Nice job!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the pics & story, looking forward to getting back up there in June.

Had to run over to Port Lions last weekend to get a buddies 4 wheeler. We trolled for about an hour on the way and caught a little king for dinner. We had an enjoyable trip and fresh king on the grill was awesome. Cheers...

Default Winter kings

Man I want one of those.You lucky dog! Nice Fish. Just dug my Bar-B out of a snow bank.I am going to fish more next week,IF...I catch one,and IF I can get a picture took before I Fillet it and throw them on the Bar-B,I will post a pic. Here fishy,,fishy......Frank