Thread: ATV trails and camping locations

Default ATV trails and camping locations

Around Hatcher Pass where would be a good place to put in and ride out and camp? This is for a summer trip with experienced riders. Also, it doesnt have to be Hatcher Pass, it could be anywhere around the Anchorage, Eagle River, Valley area. I have heard Hatcher Pass is exceptionally beautiful in the summer. Thanks in advanace for any tips.

Rob
    Elmendorf

Most all of the trails offer very good camping. One catch is that some places won't allow overnight parking of your rig and I probably wouldn't leave my rig at Jim Creek especially on the weekend. Other than that you are good to go.

Wow, back over 500 posts...Again!!
    EricL

I haven't done any riding from Hatcher's Pass. However, when I drive up there I can see numerous trails that head up above treeline. Camping up above treeline in the Talkeetnas can be really fun. I would imagine that once you are on top you could get some decent distance in.

The best place that I have found for camping and ATV'ing is off the Denali Highway. There are probably hundreds of miles of trails just waiting to be explore. My personal favorite is to head out to Butte Creek and parallel the Big Su downstream and then pick a trail and head inland. My son and I have had some great trips out there. Yep, it's a 250 mile drive from Anchorage to the good trailheads, but in my mind it's totally worth it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Most all of the trails offer very good camping. One catch is that some places won't allow overnight parking of your rig and I probably wouldn't leave my rig at Jim Creek especially on the weekend. Other than that you are good to go.

Wow, back over 500 posts...Again!!
    I agree about not leaving your rig at JC. We camped at Hatchers Pass last 4th Of July. There were ALOT of campers out there. We basically set up camp and went riding from there which was a pull out from the road. Lots of places to ride up there and it was really pretty scenery. It's probably my second favorite place to ride next to Eureka.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

all the info is fantastic, but where exactly is the best place to leave my rig over night? I am extremely unfamiliar with all areas except jim creek and need all the direction I can get. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rjseaman View Post
    all the info is fantastic, but where exactly is the best place to leave my rig over night? I am extremely unfamiliar with all areas except jim creek and need all the direction I can get. thanks again.
    Most of the trail heads have plenty of room for parking. Eska Falls, Boulder Creek, Eureka, Kings River, Eklutna Lake (must pay), Permanente trail. There is also some great riding up at Ferry on the other side of Healy but you will more than likely have to pack your camp with you. There is very little room for rigs + camping. I was lucky enough to set up camp at the trailhead next to a camper that turned out to be a miner. His name was Roy. Super nice guy who was full of information about the trails. Also cooks a mean plate of sketti!!

Hope this helps. With a bit of research on here, you will be able to track down the location of all these.
    EricL

Willow side of Hatchers is great. We go in about 24 miles from the hwy. Just about nay pull off or gravel pit has a trail into the hills not far away.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Hatchers Pass!

A fun place to ride in from, is from the Willow side of Hatcher's Pass hang a right down Shirley Town road (I think it is just about the end of the paved road), you can park at the end and then just follow the trail (Willer-Cash Road) to its end and then follow the trail to timberline. I've ridden there a few times with no problems, the trail can be a little technical in a few places but not too terrible. Once on top you can head South over towards Purchase Creek or the other way North towards Little Willow Creek. Check out Google Maps to see were I'm talking about. Have fun.