Thread: Varget for a 30-06???

Default Varget for a 30-06???

I've got some Varget and was wondering if it is good for 150 grain bullets in the 30-06. Is it a good powder for this cartridge? Seems IMR 4350 is the most popular for this round. Any others that are better?

Thanks,
    Mike

I would say it would be a good powder for that combo. I've used alot of RL-15, 4895, 4064 for the 150 grain load in the '06 and Varget is very close to 4064 in burn rate. It should even work well for this load for the Garand rifle. Staying with that mid burn rate powder for good results with the Garand. There is data available for that powder and the '06. Hodgdon's list that for the 30-06 and 150 grain bullets using 47.0 to 51.0 grains of Varget. It should be a very consistnat powder for accurate loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I use Varget in my 150 grain loads and it's performed better than any of the slower burning powders I've tried (RL-17 and 19). It produced better five shot groups by about 1/2" in my short barreled Kimber Montana.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Thanks for the information. Are there any negatives to using Varget? Any better powders for my application?

Default Haven't tried Varget in 30-06

It sure works fine for 308Win. I also can't see why it wouldn't perform well in 30-06, certainly worth a try. I like IMR 4350 or RL19 for 150s in 30-06. Have also used Viht N150 with similar good results. I generally stick to 165s and IMR 4350 in 30-06 seems to be a real good balance of velocity and accuracy in a few different rifles that I have loaded for.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    Thanks for the information. Are there any negatives to using Varget? Any better powders for my application?
    I've heard it said on the internet, so take that for what it's worth, that a powder that fills the case will be more accurate because it will experience a more consistent burn. Powder that fill less case capacity will experience a less consistent burn because the powder will have the chance to move its position relative to the primer.

Because of this information, I first tried RL-19 because a max load almost fills the case with a 150 grain bullet. I didn't get the accuracy I was looking for, so I tried RL-15 and Varget (similar burn rates). I got good accuracy with both, but Varget was slightly better. I then tried RL-17 when I got my hands on it and got similar to RL-19 results. So, in my experience, powder charge to case capacity is not very relevant.

You'll just have to try it in your gun to see if it works for you. If you've got in on hand, then what can it hurt to load up five or 10 and give it a go.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've used 46.0-48.0 grains of Varget with a 168 MK in some of 1903s and Garands. You probably will not see the velocity that you could with 4350 or RL19, but it is a good, accurate powder for range loads.

I use Varget for 30-06, .375H&H and .458 Lott. Works great in all 3. Meters perfectly and is not temperature sensitive. Good stuff. Now if only I could find some to buy.