Thread: Homer 2009 King Tourney

Default Homer 2009 King Tourney

Has anyone ever done the Homer winter king salmon tourney?
    I see a date is set for 21 Mar 09 and wouldn't mind trying to get down there.
    However I don't know what to expect.
    Can you fish from shore? Is there a good spot?
    Is a charter a must?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    ChuckD

No shore fishing to be had. If you don`t have a boat you`ll need to start searching for a charter quick. Everyone gets twitchy over the winter and this is most peoples first outing of the year so it`s a bit hectic. I can`t recall the count of boats or fishermen last year but there was roughly 80 fish caught in 8-10 hrs w/about 300 anglers on the water. Not great odds considering the cold and rough conditions. I would continue to do it in a hardtop boat `cause we were pretty cold in the softtop we ran in last year. Did I mention we didn`t even get a bite? We tried for halibut the night before and got skunked there too. Overall, in my opinion it`s awefully expensive weekend for a slim chance at a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Overall, in my opinion it`s awefully expensive weekend for a slim chance at a fish.
    It's about getting out. If I have the time this year I will definitely give it a go again.

Winter King fishing is a lot better during February than it is during March out of Homer. I would look around and get a charter now rather than wait until the derby if you are wanting to actually catch some kings. The derby is more of a "party tourney". Fun with the right mind set and group of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    It's about getting out. If I have the time this year I will definitely give it a go again.
    Agreed, I`d just rather spend the $$ on gear or parts and have the rest of year be a better experience. I have spent alot of cash on just getting out but am growing wiser about how I spend the money because it doesn`t grow on trees.

It is a good time and kind of fun...just not my speed anymore.