Thread: Polaris clutch rebuild

Default Polaris clutch rebuild

Anyone know of the best reasonable place or person to rebuild a 99 RMK drive and driven clutch? I picked up a 99 RMK that has had some mod work done and the clutches are not engaging or disengaging quite right. Other than that it runs like a top and has a 159" track so I figure its worth putting a little money in for a play sled.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

How many miles on it? JKimberly should be able to do it in Anchorage. I'd personally bring it into ERPAC in Eagle River if I couldn't do it myself. New springs might be all that is needed if it doesn't have more than 5k miles on it, and new slider bushings in the secondary.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Its only got around 2300 on it. It has a white spring in the drive clutch and I am being told that is not stock so I have no idea what has been done. It does not engage until the RPM's are way up and then it wont disengage. I am a fabricator and have very little knowledge in the engine/clutch areas. Idealy hopeing to find someone that knows alot about them but that I could help out some and learn.

99% of the time just taking them apart and giving them a good cleaning will improve the performance greatly. The secondary is pretty easy to deal with, the primary takes a puller to get off the engine (I have one if you want to borrow it) but again comes apart pretty easily. I'd be willing to give you a hand with the cleaning if you like (I'm out in the valley though).

I had clutch problems a few years ago and found that the main spring in my primary had actually broken! The machine was engaging just off of idle and bogged down something fierce. A new main spring and fly weights and it will lift the skis from a dead stop with no problem now.

If you just want to take them somewhere for a rebuild, I'd look at buying a roller secondary instead of spending the money on the stock secondary.

You also might just have a bad spring/fly weight combo.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The above is all good info. I would like to add, by the time you pay someone labor plus the cost of the parts, it costs about the same to buy a new clutch and put your weights in it. To completely rebuild the primary there is machine work involved, by buying new, you save steps and money.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    99% of the time just taking them apart and giving them a good cleaning will improve the performance greatly. The secondary is pretty easy to deal with, the primary takes a puller to get off the engine (I have one if you want to borrow it) but again comes apart pretty easily. I'd be willing to give you a hand with the cleaning if you like (I'm out in the valley though).

I had clutch problems a few years ago and found that the main spring in my primary had actually broken! The machine was engaging just off of idle and bogged down something fierce. A new main spring and fly weights and it will lift the skis from a dead stop with no problem now.

If you just want to take them somewhere for a rebuild, I'd look at buying a roller secondary instead of spending the money on the stock secondary.

You also might just have a bad spring/fly weight combo.
    Mud, I think I will take you up on that. Just let me know when a good time for you would be and I will haul it out there. I just found out I have to go in and launch some jets tommorow morning though.